What do you like to read?

A place to talk about any and all things not related to Space Camp.

Moderator: Vincent

What do you most enjoy reading?

Science Fiction
6%
Informational
18%
Fantasy
6%
Poetry
No votes
Horror
12%
Adventure
6%
Classics
18%
Humor
6%
Other
18%
I don't read and/or reading is evil!
12%

Total votes: 17
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Lol, yeah, I guess so.
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

psych0rabbit wrote:The thing I learned: you can't waste your life missing what you're never going to receive. You have to move on and forget.
Hehe, I think I've only just realized this, and I'm 32 :) Either that, or I knew it, and have only recently put it into practice. I used to be disappointed about the way my life turned out, but now that I've realized that that's how it's gone, and that there are actually some real advantages to it, I've been a lot happier. Not that there aren't things I still want to change, but I almost have more confidence that I can do it now.

Glad people are realizing this a lot sooner than I did...I read Great Gatsby too; it must not have sunk in at the time :)
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

It probably wouldn't have sunk in as much as it did had we not overanalyzed the book in class. Analyzing things is good, but there comes a point when it's too much and you can't take anymore. . .that's when I started sleeping in class and going to pinkmonkey.com for summarys of symbols and meanings, lol. I did read the whole book, but cliff notes make things sink in better.
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, your teacher should meet mine. last year, we spent christmas break reading it and about a month or two talking about it. it got to be too much... it got really heavy, old and drug (dragged?) out after a while.
though, we did go see fitzgerald's houses. :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to seize the moment.
it's a time to move on.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

niice. A field trip for my school consists of going out to see what new wonders the construction brought. For example: Ooo, look at the new reader board! Wow, they're getting the walls put up on the gym! Look at the new seats in the auditorium!
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

LOL. When i was in 7th grade the built a new middle school and they took us on progress tours like once or twice a month. "This big metal pillar is part of the gym. Cant you just see it now?"
~Space Nerd~

"This is not an anomoly, this is real life" -Dan

Game Over
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

lol, creative they were!

this was just cause some of my teachers are obsessed with the saint paul gangster times. its actually kinda fun...and interesting. in fact, ive seen pics of a ghost that haunts what used to be the federal courthouse.
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

ooo, cool . . .yet creepy at the same time, lol
cheshire
Camper
Camper

Post by cheshire »

Gatsby is by Fitzgerald; it's not supposed to have a happy ending! All of his writings reflect back upon his life. All throughout his life he could never reach the point that he wanted to be at, and his books just tell of his disappointments in life.
I don't think that Great Gatsby is a bad book, but i wish Fitzgerald would have tried writing on a new topic for once.
"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I cannot say I have read many of the books you mention. I read what was required of me in school, and then a few liesure books that usually consisted of space information or science information. I'm a nerd too! Actually, now that I am finished school I have had time to read a lot more. My selection has broadened and I love the Harry Potter and 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' books - how wonderful they are, even if they are written for kids.

As for English classes in school, I was fortunate enough to participate in something called DrEnglish. It was a combined course between drama and English. It was the greatest class I ever took. We would read a book, analyse the scenes and characters (but not TOO much) and then we would act out each chapter as we read it. For once, i actualy understood EVERY story I read, including Shakespeare. It was wonderful, and my English grades received honours status for once. However, after two years of that I had to attend a regular year 12/Form 6 English class for the sake of provincial exams (the province does not recognise DrEnglish for their diploma exams) and I nearly failed... so much for that. They became too analytical and too one-sided that I never fully understood the stories, yet alone anything else.

Thankfully, in post-secondary school I had a phenomenal English instructor. That left me on a good note, so now I actually enjoy reading and writing... fancy that! I like acting too, although I rarely get any opportunities for it.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

The teacher makes the class good or bad. Have a great teacher, it'll be a great class. Have a crummy teacher, you'll never want to go to class. I like things where I'm involved and do something. I hate taking notes on a subject that doesn't interest me. It's just so dull!
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

Yeah... Knowing that in 2 hours i'm going to go have to sit through a 4 hour lecture i'm just gonna say that lectures suck! The best classes i've ever taken had teachers/professors who involved the students in the learning process. Talking at a class room of people is not nearly as talking with a classroom of people!
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
meg
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by meg »

yay for kinesthetic learners! :D
(*~*) megan (*~*)

it's a time to move on.
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I dont like sitting in a class for an hour taking notes, but for me, thats the only way I can learn.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

^That's a bummer. :(
meg wrote:yay for kinesthetic learners! :D
Yay! I have to be doing something to learn. If I find a topic interesting I can pay attention during a lecture, but I loathe taking notes. In my history class, my teacher puts the notes on the internet so you can download them. It's nice to print them off and follow along during class. It's a lot easier for me and I learn better that way instead of just listening or trying to write everything down and missing stuff. Though nothing replaces actually DOING something.
cheshire
Camper
Camper

Post by cheshire »

I hate taking notes!
I write really slow so I can never keep up :(
"The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein.
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I've gotten used to having to write fast. The problem with that, the faster I go the harder my handwriting is to decipher. It gets really bad, lol. If want to have nice handwriting, I'm really slow. The only time I work really hard to make my handwriting nice is if a teacher is going to look at it, or if it's a letter or something along those lines. That's why I type everything, a whole lot quicker. I'm a really fast typer.
Space Nerd
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by Space Nerd »

I feel your pain. Thats the beauty of being a computer major the teachers all want their stuff typed so they dont have to worry about being able to read it! It's great! :lol:
~Space Nerd~

Game Over
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

Yay! Keyboards are very nice . . .computers in general are very nice. Hmm, I do have an essay I need to type tonight, perhaps I should start that. :D
psych0rabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by psych0rabbit »

I just read the Time Machine by HG Wells. It was a good book! :D It was so different from the new movie though. The plot is almost completely different. I found that a bit annoying.