Save Space Camp Campaign

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Save Space Camp Campaign

Post by Boomerang »

For those who have not hear about this. Space Camp is in serious danger of closing in September and not reopening. As it is week long prgrograms will end after August. The plan is to reopen in these programs in the spring. However Space Camp announced today it has a budget shortfall of 1.5 million dollars and it needs to raise these funds by the end of October to be able to reopen in the spring. This is actually connected to both the Space and Rocket Center and Space Program. Without the needed money both could close. I know the alumni here do not want to see that happen. Please donate. Please share this. The title of this post is not an exaggeration. We are on the verge of losing a program that has affected the lives of nearly a million trainees over the last 38 years. We can not let that happen. Please donate here. https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/campa ... espacecamp
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Save Space Camp Campaign

Post by SpaceCanada »

Boeing just donated $500,000! The current fundraising progress is at just over $1.1 million in three days. There is still a ways to go, but it is promising that their goal will be met in time. There have also been some humorous Space Camp movie references in the donations, like 'Hideo Takamini' and 'Well actually it's pronounced Kevin Donaldson' as donors. :lol:
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SAIC donated $250K to meet the $1.5 million goal. However, I feel that they need to keep pushing for the length of the campaign as unexpected expenses always happen. Sure, there are a lot of large space corporates out there who could still donate yet there are a lot of alumni out there, too. How much would $1, $2, or even $5 from each of them raise?
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:21 amyet there are a lot of alumni out there, too. How much would $1, $2, or even $5 from each of them raise?
You mean other than the ones who donated over $750,000 of this amount?
I'm pretty sure the tooth fairy sure didn't donate the other half...
:lol:
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

[/quote]You mean other than the ones who donated over $750,000 of this amount?
I'm pretty sure the tooth fairy sure didn't donate the other half...
:lol:
[/quote]

OK, let's be conservative and eliminate the roughly 8,300 donors as of 2:30pm Eastern on 8/7 (assuming that they are all alumni which is not the case).

950K alumni (I've seen this number stated as close to a million)
/ 2 (assuming some double counting. It could be off by a lot either way. For example, I could be included in the alumni count four times or once.)
= 475K
= 467K potential donors
x $2 a head
= $0.9 million.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

majtom7 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:31 am
OK, let's be conservative and eliminate the roughly 8,300 donors as of 2:30pm Eastern on 8/7 (assuming that they are all alumni which is not the case).

950K alumni (I've seen this number stated as close to a million)
/ 2 (assuming some double counting. It could be off by a lot either way. For example, I could be included in the alumni count four times or once.)
= 475K
= 467K potential donors
x $2 a head
= $0.9 million.
This estimate is worth what I was paid to produce it: nil, zip, zero, zilch, bupkis, diddly-squat. NO ONE knows how many alumni there are. Records before sometime in the 90's were paper and lost while no one's done a count of the digital records. Any figure that you see is a flat out pulled out of thin air or maybe vacuum guess because no one knows number of sessions, number of attendees, etc. enough to make an educated guess other than A LOT. <SMH>

You might be able to pull it from the detail of the accounting records if one had the access and the time...and if the detail still exists. Board minutes should have the number of attendees. Those should still exist.