2019?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: 2019?

Post by majtom7 »

I would hope that USSRC would keep the shuttle sims. They are the only sims based on real life counterparts. Orion 1.0 is just someone's guess, like a video game. I've not seen Orion 2.0 so I'm unable to speak from experience on that. However, I expect that it's more of the same.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

The STS sims are Space Camp to more than one generation of people.
It would kill me if they removed all of them, especially Enterprise. Maybe someday if there's something tangible and real going to space (as in, after we have landed on the Moon again) and not theoretical, they'll take the orbiter sims out.
But as it stands, STS is the best way to occupy the most people on a team at one time.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Here's an example of how dumbed down things have become. Attached is the evaluation from my first mission at my first weekend camp back in 1991. Yes, we were graded on our performance.

P.S. Despite the counselor comment, there was one bobble.
Attachments
Endeavour Mission Evaluation Cockpit Page 2.jpg
Endeavour Mission Evaluation Cockpit Page 2.jpg (349.59 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
Endeavour Mission Evaluation Cockpit Page 1.jpg
Endeavour Mission Evaluation Cockpit Page 1.jpg (327.16 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Horrible news guys, due the the hurricane hitting Louisiana, I will not be making it to Huntsville. Keep me up to date on what happens. Please post pictures for me!!!
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

airkale wrote:Horrible news guys, due the the hurricane hitting Louisiana, I will not be making it to Huntsville. Keep me up to date on what happens. Please post pictures for me!!!
Our family's thoughts and prayers are out to everyone in the path of Hurricane Barry.
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Good news, things were not too bad for the hurricane. No damage here.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Recently I started really thinking about SC. My most recent week-long trip in November was actually a disappointment in many ways. They’ve cut down the things that make SC special to such a degree, I wondered a few times that week what I was even doing there.
I’m sure that to a degree it’s due to the “Groundhog Day” nature of camp starting to creep in as I've been there 5 times since 2012, especially for 3 day programs where you really don’t have time to get to know anyone new on the team. But they keep whittling away at all the stuff I liked about SC. Getting rid of the mission patches for adult programs has been a bitter pill to swallow for me. You forum regulars might already know I made patches for each design I ever did, but once it stopped being a competition, nobody seemed to care about the patches. For the patch I made for Hoot Camp II, nobody on the team came to me asking if I would make them when we were done. That probably has as much to do with the people on the team as anything I guess but I suspect winning against other teams always motivated my teams in the past to want actual patches from the design. I have the ‘prefab’ ones from the last two times but I haven’t had them sewn to anything yet.
The graduation last time was an utter joke. It really emphasized a week where consistently it felt like we were an afterthought all the way through.
If I didn’t know any better, I’d swear they’re trying to make it so ‘blah’ that nobody will come so they can get rid of the adult programs.
airkale wrote:Good news, things were not too bad for the hurricane. No damage here.
Very glad to hear that. At one point, the storm was supposed to head right toward my parents in Florida, but suddenly turned west...
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Back in the 1990s when I first went to camp, our team patch design was put on a mission cake. There were no competitions.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Hate that you couldn't make it, Kale. You missed a great party! I'm still recovering from the 8 days of SC and Apollo awesomeness.

I spoke to one of the sim techs very briefly, and he said the Discovery sim will be removed this fall to begin its transformation into a Dreamchaser. Supposedly SNC is cooperating with the center, so the hope is we will get something close to what will eventually be their manned spaceplane variant (within the limitations of the current Discovery sim dimensions, of course).
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:Hate that you couldn't make it, Kale. You missed a great party! I'm still recovering from the 8 days of SC and Apollo awesomeness.

I spoke to one of the sim techs very briefly, and he said the Discovery sim will be removed this fall to begin its transformation into a Dreamchaser. Supposedly SNC is cooperating with the center, so the hope is we will get something close to what will eventually be their manned spaceplane variant (within the limitations of the current Discovery sim dimensions, of course).
Did you get Buzz's signature when he was there?
Any word on the Enterprise sim?
Skidmark

Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

As far as I know, Enterprise is staying. Will confirm later.

Buzz was not signing anything. We were lucky just to have him show up I think. He skipped out on the Homecoming dinner, and only spoke at the Aerospace States Association awards the following evening. He paused to take two photos before he was whisked out the back door of the Davidson. I at least managed to get close enough to be within an arms reach of him and snap a few pics. If only Buzz could be as cool and down-to-earth as the other astros who were around this past week (Jack Lousma, Tom Stafford, Al Worden, Ed Gibson, Hoot, Wendy Lawrence, Jan Davis...)
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

They've removed Enterprise's aft structure (vertical stabilizer and OMS pods).
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Great, what's next to get the boot...
Kale