Looking for an expert in how reduced gravity impacts the human body to talk with the middle robotics team I coach

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Looking for an expert in how reduced gravity impacts the human body to talk with the middle robotics team I coach

Post by gt0163c »

Do we have anyone here professionally involved (or otherwise an expert) in space medicine, particularly the impacts of reduced gravity on the physical body?

I coach a middle school (ages 10-14) robotics team which competes in the FIRST Lego League. As part of the competition the team has to identify a physical or social problem humans encounter during long duration space travel within our solar system, propose a unique and innovative solution and share it with others (including, ideally professionals who will benefit from the solution). My team has chosen to focus on the problem of muscle and bone loss in microgravity and are working on a solution involving creating a garment which would provide resistance to movement (think strategically attached bungie cords).

I'm hoping to find someone my team could interact with, ask questions, share their ideas, etc. Face-to-face would be awesome but probably a long shot. Skype would be cool. Teleconference, email, smoke signals, trained messenger ferret...we're pretty much open to anything.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Re: Looking for an expert in how reduced gravity impacts the human body to talk with the middle robotics team I coach

Post by Phoenix PK »

Contact Liz Warren, a PhD fellow Aggie from UC Davis. She’s a SC HOFer. Works with and for NASA on human factors.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA