Team Patches Frame

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

blachwk
Camper
Camper

Team Patches Frame

Post by blachwk »

I thought it would be neat to see a frame of various team patches at Space Camp in the simulator area along one of the walls. So for those who went beyond doing a patch design, but had real patches made, could be put in a frame along w/other teams that did the same thing. Over time as a frame is filled up, another one is mounted and additional patches are placed in the frame. I know besides those of us on the forum various educator teams and corporate teams had theirs made and have sent patches to their crew trainers or other trainers over the years as a thank you. I thought this would be a nice display to show various teams over the years. What are everyone else's thoughts?
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Team Patches Frame

Post by p51 »

Plenty of patches have bene made over the years and in some cases, plenty of them.
the question is; would SC want them there?
I wouldn't mind donating a couple of my favorites, but only if they wouldn't go into the trash can right away or soon after they got them...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

p51 wrote:Plenty of patches have bene made over the years and in some cases, plenty of them.
the question is; would SC want them there?
I wouldn't mind donating a couple of my favorites, but only if they wouldn't go into the trash can right away or soon after they got them...
Agreed, I don't think any of us would want to provide patches only to be thrown away soon after they received them. This is where the 'buy in' of the alumni board and/or camp itself would be important. Obviously a process would have to be formed, but once formulated, I think it could be done. (ie. Patches are mailed to X person/position/title. Items are installed in frames every 6 months, or fiscal year, etc. Over time as a frame is filled up, another one is mounted and additional patches are placed in the frame.) Not everyone will be a part of the Space Camp Hall of Fame, however I do believe that camp impacts a camper of all ages. I think it would be a special thing to see the team patches displayed and to be able to come back years later and to be able to point to a frame and explain to a student or child, this was our team, and potentially use that opportunity to discuss how much camp was impactful on your life as well as to be able to have your team's patch along side other alumni and team patches.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

There is a pretty big collection of team patches from educator and SCIVIS groups in the education building. I was in the Space Camp offices there recently and saw a wall full of them... So it does exist in some way, though not publicly. This could have been a collection put together by a few counsellors. A few counsellors I know have kept every mission patch they were given, and a few even kept their team photos.

That being said, I think very few teams actually go on to make a team patch, and those are mostly adults, not kids.

However, I do like seeing the scanned copies of mission patches they post online from time to time. I wonder if they show a few of them to kids each summer as inspiration for their own mission patch design sessions. If they framed a handful each year (and rotated them through as they get more), and put them up in the bottom of the Hab next to the HOF stuff it may hold more meaning and be more inspiring than only the ones that made it into physical patches.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:A few counsellors I know have kept every mission patch they were given
I sent the two to the trainers I really liked and appreciated and I know each still have them.
SpaceCanada wrote:That being said, I think very few teams actually go on to make a team patch, and those are mostly adults, not kids.
yeah, I was thinking of that as well. I can't imagine many kid teams ever get patches made.
SpaceCanada wrote:However, I do like seeing the scanned copies of mission patches they post online from time to time.
I was told that two of my patch designs (the hand-drawn versions) are hanging somewhere inside the offices at SC or at least were at some point. My third spin at SC, a trainer told me he was aware of my patch designs as it'd been discussed at some point, but the details weren't recalled.
I can't imagine they get many professional artists doing designs (or in my case, former as I don't do it for my primary income anymore), and though I have lots of professional credits for contractor and military insignia design, two of my SC patch designs are the ones I'm the most proud of. I think it speaks more of the team/trainer and the experience in each case, though.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador