The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Does anybody know, if there are any plans to offer another Adult Advance Space Academy (one week) in 2018?
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
ATX/Oct. 2018/KSCVC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2019/CDR
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Re: 2018

Post by blachwk »

That's a good question since I was hoping to do an Adult Camp in 2018! I'd rather do the week long one honestly.

Speaking of which, what is the difference between the week long vs shorter ones?
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Some difference are: Longer missions and more of them. Your longest mission is at least 6 hours and sometimes 12. Also, in the week long academy, the scuba training is included. There is usually a tour of Marshall Space Flight Center, but you must be an American citizen for that one, although the non-citizens said that they got a great alternate activity when I went in 2015. Sometimes they offer the "With and Astronaut" track for the week-long adult academy for an extra fee. You get a real astronaut as one of your trainers. We had 2 such teams. One got Hoot Gibson and mine got Bob Springer. I think that the most important difference is that the longer time allows you to form better bonds with your teammates and friendships that last beyond the camp. I have had return trips with some of the friends I made and I participate in discussions with them here and on the Alumni Space Camp Facebook page. I will be seeing some of them at the Alumni Summer Fest in a month. I am really looking forward to that.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

I called Space Camp and inquired about a week long adult program for 2018. I was told the 2018 schedule has not come out yet, but should be ready within a month or so. At that point we should know if there will be one.
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

that's perfect, thanks for asking them
ATX/Oct. 2015/KSCVC/CDR | ASA/May 2017/USSRC/PLT | Euro Space Center/Aug. 2017/CDR
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

blachwk wrote:I called Space Camp and inquired about a week long adult program for 2018. I was told the 2018 schedule has not come out yet, but should be ready within a month or so. At that point we should know if there will be one.
Their 2018 fiscal year starts 10/1. End of July or so is a pretty tight window for anything this October.

BTW, I asked a couple of months ago about Train With An Astro. This is the response I received: "As of right now we do not have any plans to offer the “Train with an Astronaut” option this year or in the immediate future."
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

Did you seen that registration for adult camps is open, now?
I saw that there were two Advanced Space Academy programs, one for 1.349 $ and one for 1.199 $. It is the same date (Sept. 24). Do you know the difference between this two programs?
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Feuerfresser wrote:Did you seen that registration for adult camps is open, now?
I saw that there were two Advanced Space Academy programs, one for 1.349 $ and one for 1.199 $. It is the same date (Sept. 24). Do you know the difference between this two programs?
Hmmm...that difference in price seems a bit low for the Train With an Astronaut vs Train Like an Astronaut. As I remember, in 2015 the difference was closer to $250. Maybe it's with or without scuba? Or maybe they scaled down the "With an astronaut" part so it's only two or three days with an astronaut instead of the full week?
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I was at 'Hoot Camp' last year (Bob Springer was there, too) and there was only one team. I think that's why they're not doing it this year.
It worked out great for those of us there as we had Hoot around often (and got to hang with him every night at the bar at the Marriott) and that alone made it worth the cost.
However, I for one was disappointed that we had no teams to compete with, and the graduation seemed odd with no 'winners' to announce other than the Right Stuff Award (which was awarded to someone I totally agreed deserved it). I guess I was bummed for not being able to win with my mission patch design again... :wink: 8)
I must admit after 7 days, I was actually looking forward to a real hotel bed and being alone the following day on a road trip to Florida to see my parents afterward. I don't think I'd want to do a program longer than 7 days if I'm staying in the HAB.
I can't imagine I'll be able to get back to SC next year and I'm not going this year (as I'm saving up what few days off I get for a long European trip next spring), but if I could ever get back for another 1-week program, I'd go for sure.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

I gave them a call and they told me, that the cheaper one is a student program.
I really don't understand the registration form of space camp. If you are looking for the program you can see the date 24th of september 2018. At the phone they told me, this was they date until when I have to be registered?!?!

And there are two Adult Advanced Space Academy Weeks: starting at 1st of october and 12th of november.
But I really don't know, where at the online registration, I have to choose between this two weeks.

I sent an E-Mail to Space Camp - it's really confusing to me.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Feuerfresser wrote:And there are two Adult Advanced Space Academy Weeks: starting at 1st of october and 12th of november.
I sent an E-Mail to Space Camp - it's really confusing to me.
1 October and 12 November 2018 are both Saturdays, which is odd as adult week long camps have run Sunday-Friday in the past. I wonder if they are making a change to the program...which would probably mean that many people would travel on a Friday rather than a Saturday or if someone was actually using a 2017 calendar when they set the dates.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Feuerfresser
Camper
Camper

Post by Feuerfresser »

In my scheduler these dates are mondays, what makes me much more confused, because the woman at the phone told me that they are don't starting at mondays.

:evil:
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Seems odd to have to create a registration in order to see the schedule dates... I wonder if someone gets a bonus based on the number of new registrations. LOL

This is what USSRC told me back in April regarding Train With An Astro: As of right now we do not have any plans to offer the “Train with an Astronaut” option this year or in the immediate future.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Feuerfresser wrote:In my scheduler these dates are mondays, what makes me much more confused, because the woman at the phone told me that they are don't starting at mondays.
And it turns out my two sided work reference calendar is from last year, so 2016/2017 not this year 2017/2018. My bad. Sorry for any confusion.
It would be a change for weeklong camps to start on Mondays.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

Ok so trying to plan things out for 2018 (and beyond) for myself. Having taken my daughter to family space camp in June/July 2017, do you recommend doing Adult Space Academy (shortened or week long) first then try doing the Adult Advanced Space Academy next? I guess what I am trying to ask is what is the 'proper' order of doing things? (Since I technically did a space camp once already). Although I know Adult vs Family are 2 different camps and scenarios altogether, etc.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

blachwk wrote:Ok so trying to plan things out for 2018 (and beyond) for myself. ... I guess what I am trying to ask is what is the 'proper' order of doing things?
I don't think that there is a "proper order" for camps. Both times I've been to adult weeklong camp, we've had rookies who have never been to any camp program before and it has not been an issue. I've only ever done week long camps as I have a hard time justifying buying an expensive plane ticket for just a weekend trip. I also think that I would be disappointed in a weekend camp having done the weeklong ones before. But that's just me. I can see the argument than any trip to camp is better than no trip to camp and I know that not everyone can afford (time, money, both) the week long.

My advice is, if you can afford it, do the weeklong camp.

Now if only we could get an adult robotics camp or a hybrid space/robotics camp. That's what I'd really like to do.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
blachwk
Camper
Camper

Post by blachwk »

gt0163c wrote: My advice is, if you can afford it, do the weeklong camp.

Now if only we could get an adult robotics camp or a hybrid space/robotics camp. That's what I'd really like to do.
I'd love to do an adult robotics camp or even an adult version of the cyber security camp. (or some type of hybrid).

Meanwhile I agree any camp would be great. Just wasn't sure if it was best to do the adult space academy first and then do the advanced space academy.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If you did the week-long camp as a kid I think you could be disappointed with the abbreviated weekend Adult SA camp, as it won't include everything you may expect, since it's less than half the length. If you can make it work, I'd definitely recommend the week-long Adult ASA camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

The big question: who is going to Space Camp this year?

Not me, unfortunately.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:The big question: who is going to Space Camp this year?
Not me, unfortunately.
Nor I. My wife and I spent three weeks in the UK/Europe in May, so that expended all the time off (and a lot of money) for this year in regard to going anywhere fun. We didn't see anything space related (even though our hotel in London was within walking distance of the Science museum where the Apollo 10 capsule is housed, we were doing other stuff each day when that was open, darn it).
That said, I turn 50 next year and my wife has offered to let me pick a (domestic) trip in 2019. That leaves me a lot of options, and near the top of the list would be a trip to Tennessee and then a 3-day adult Camp at either end of it.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador