Adult Week Long October 2016

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Re: Adult Week Long October 2016

Post by Phoenix PK »

My country has called on me once again, and my answer was "Sure, Deke."
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

My husband (Goose) offered to let me go to camp without him this year... but I couldn't do it. Now that I've been to camp with him it seems wrong to go without him, and if I went this year our odds of both going next year would reduce to zero. At least I'm going to see my good friend from camp this summer. Space Sisters are the best. :P Have fun everyone and be sure to post stories and updates for those of us not fortunate enough to go.

Let's hope the Canadian dollar improves, and that I can get a job sometime soon. (Two conditions that weigh heavily towards our attendance next year.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:My husband (Goose) offered to let me go to camp without him this year... but I couldn't do it. Now that I've been to camp with him it seems wrong to go without him, and if I went this year our odds of both going next year would reduce to zero.
What would the odds be of Goose going without you? ;)
SpaceCanada wrote: Let's hope the Canadian dollar improves, and that I can get a job sometime soon. (Two conditions that weigh heavily towards our attendance next year.)
and the NHL salary cap can go up so the Chicago Blackhawks can stop fielding half a new team every year or so it seems.

Ditto on finding a job...although I have been told that I am going no matter what...
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:I have been told that I am going no matter what...
I can't fathom that. Each time I've gone, my wife has been progressively more resistant to me ever going back. With this week-long session in October, I'm not sure if I'll ever make it back to SC again. For certain, I know I can count on not going in 2017.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

As PK put it to me a few days ago: Well, your wife is very sweet and pretty. You're damned lucky, dude. (Hope you don't mind me sharing, PK.)

I am.

BTW, I got a kick out of The Martian deleted scene about Beck & Johanssen sleeping together on the Hermes.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

SpaceCanada wrote:I would think the pre-designed team mission patches are only available for week long sessions because of the time it takes to have them made and shipped back to camp. Anyone here know for sure?

Otherwise, some teams choose to take their own created mission patch design and have it made into embroidered patches after camp by a third party.
There is a 'custom team patch' available for weeklong programs to purchase. The space teams have a choice of one of six designs. The AC teams have a choice of one of four designs. They have to be purchased no later than noon on Monday, and is in the team schedule. I then send the order to a company in Florida, that embroiders each patch, adding the team name and the last names of the team members. They are shipped back to me and stuffed in the individual graduation packets prior to graduation on Friday morning. It gets exciting on weeks like this week with 800+ trainees in attendance and over 400 patches ordered. I can't imagine the scale of the operation in Florida that accomplishes that! As Space Canada said, due to the time constraints, this purchase is only available for weeklong programs.

Then there is an activity written into the schedules of weeklong, family, and adult, as well as the Pathfinder (a 3 day group program) programs called 'Mission Patch'. That is a design that each team invents during the course of their program. It is turned in prior to graduation and is 'graded' by leadership. The winning design is recognized at graduation. Winning designs for everyone except Pathfinder are posted on the Space Camp FaceBook page.

The designs are also scanned and included on the photo USBs weeklong trainees can purchase. (photos taken throughout the week by the crew trainers of each team's activities, then sold either through pre-purchase or available at graduation). This is another service handled by Trainee Services. We down load the 40+ cameras every night, edit the thousands of photos, then burn hundreds of USBs on Thursday night to stuff into grad packets. We've been known to be here quite late at night (or into wee hours of the morning) to accomplish that.

Some Family and Adult teams have chosen to have their Mission Patch designs converted into actual patches. It's pricey, but when divided amongst and entire team it is doable. This is something these groups arrange privately. Space Camp does not offer that service.
Living the dream
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

p51 wrote:
gt0163c wrote:For my team, we had one guy who does web design as a career. He brought a laptop with Photoshop and put in a lot of time putting together the patch with the team's input.
The children draw their patches by hand, and there are some seriously talented children coming to Camp! I studied art throughout school and can attest that the quality of patches I see cross my desk weekly is astounding!
Living the dream
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

street wrote:The designs are also scanned and included on the photo USBs weeklong trainees can purchase. (photos taken throughout the week by the crew trainers of each team's activities, then sold either through pre-purchase or available at graduation). This is another service handled by Trainee Services. We down load the 40+ cameras every night, edit the thousands of photos, then burn hundreds of USBs on Thursday night to stuff into grad packets. We've been known to be here quite late at night (or into wee hours of the morning) to accomplish that.
USB? Is that new?
It was CDs (possibly DVDs) with the pictures at Adult ASA last fall.
Also, if you don't order one before leaving camp, it may be possible to get a copy even after you get home. I decided after seeing some of the pictures from the disc a teammate got that I would really like to have those pictures. So I emailed camp and they were able to burn me a copy and send it to me (for the same price anyone who ordered it on-time did). It might have helped that this was in the fall and during a rather slow time at camp. This might not be possible during peak-season.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Odd, I didn't get an option for a photo CD/USB/whatever when I signed up for Hoot Camp II...
I'd for sure buy one if such an option existed!
Skidmark

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

p51 wrote:Odd, I didn't get an option for a photo CD/USB/whatever when I signed up for Hoot Camp II...
I'd for sure buy one if such an option existed!
As I remember, the photo CD/whatever was on the same page as the clothing package, flight suit, airport transportation, team patch and any of the other extras. I'm sure you can get in contact with camp and get them to add one to your account.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Just booked the flights, hotels on each ed of the week and paid the balance of the fees.
Just need to get the scuba form signed and all I need after thar is to pack for the trip.
gt0163c wrote:As I remember, the photo CD/whatever was on the same page as the clothing package, flight suit, airport transportation, team patch and any of the other extras.
It's not there anymore. I checked twice just to be certain. But Id bet if a photographer is around, I'd get more than one chance to pay for said USB, which I certainly would do so. There have been a couple of times where the only decent shots I'm in were when I handed my camera to someone else to get a shot of me, otherwise you'd never have known I was there as I was taking all the good photos...
Skidmark

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I just got the same email that many of you probably also got today, which clearly says that "Hoot Camp II" includes a Marshall SC tour.
Yay! :D
Skidmark

TahoeMinx
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by TahoeMinx »

I just got the same email that many of you probably also got today, which clearly says that "Hoot Camp II" includes a Marshall SC tour. Yay!
I agree! Especially since it's our first trip out there. It's getting harder to contain my excitement. Less than two weeks to go, and so far I've managed to keep the details a secret from my husband. He knows we're going on vacation, and he knows it involves scuba, because he had to sign the form - but I masked off the logo and any reference to Space Camp. I just know he's going to be thrilled when he realizes what we're really going to do (I think maybe he's thinking tropical scuba vacation - not really his cup of tea - but he is a total space geek!) Oh, and I asked about photographs, and was told we can make arrangements with their photography vendor, Sharpshooters, once we arrive.

Anyone have an idea of how many people are signed up? And it will definitely be "Hoot", right? I found an old NASA photo online and am hoping he'll sign it for my husband, Mike. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the group! :D
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I wonder if I call SC this week, if they could tell me who's on my team? I know PK and I have already requested to room together in the HAB, so I know I'll have the honor of being on a team with him again, but I guess as for the rest I wouldn't know the names anyway...
TahoeMinx wrote:Anyone have an idea of how many people are signed up? And it will definitely be "Hoot", right? I found an old NASA photo online and am hoping he'll sign it for my husband, Mike. Looking forward to meeting the rest of the group! :D
I don't think they could commit to Gibson right now, but I'd think unless he got sick or had a family emergency, it'd likely be him. Bob Springer was at the week-long last year, so there's a chance of him again, I'd think. I know there are a few other former astronauts living in that general area, but none I'm aware of who'd likely come for something like this.
But if Hoot doesn't show, I won't be crushed as the all-alumni team in 2014 got to meet him.
That said, I'd feel bad for those who were hoping to meet the man. He's actually a nice person and not stuck on himself like some in his position could be...
Skidmark

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

So, who's packed already? I have all my SC stuff laid out and ready to pack. I use an old large pack from my Army days as my carry-on bag, and it's big enough for my camera bag and other stuff. I'm taking one change of clothes in that bag, just in case a nightmare scenario occurs with my bags on the flight (it's a one-way hop from Portland, OR to Atlanta, though). But of course, my SC flight suit isn't getting far from me at all. It wouldn't be Camp for me without it. I'm also taking my SC jacket, though the weather forecasts call for typical early fall weather (70s-80s in the day and the 50s at night): https://www.wunderground.com/us/al/hunt ... 07.1.99999
For those of you bunking at hotels before/after/during, I hope you got the reservations already. With Hurricane Matthew bearing down on the East coast right now and hitting the Georgia/South Carolina coast over the weekend, plenty of people will conduct a mass exodus inland. That means that there could be refugees from the coastal states as far at Huntsville and hotel rooms might be tough to find if you haven't already snatched them up.
As for the storm, all the forecasts I see call for it to skirt the coastline. Check your airlines for any changes in schedules, just in case your flight is affected as many of you would be coming in either Saturday or early Sunday (I'm flying in to ATL on Friday, then driving to Tennessee for a day, then into Huntsville late Saturday night).
Skidmark

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

Bbeginnningg tofeell t he vibbrraaaaaattions,, hhard tooto tyypee...
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Phoenix PK wrote:Bbeginnningg tofeell t he vibbrraaaaaattions,, hhard tooto tyypee...
Then stay off the washing machine while it's running ;)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Oh, PK and PC, how I miss you guys! Say hi to Rockhound for me too.

Have a super fun week at camp. I will be thinking of everyone and looking forward to your stories and photos when you settle back into reality after camp.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phoenix PK wrote:Bbeginnningg tofeell t he vibbrraaaaaattions,, hhard tooto tyypee...
Okay, you're not dipping into the medical ganja that is so popular in your state, that wouldn't make you so jittery.
Either one of two things will cure this:
1. Switch to decaff
2. Get your @ss to Space Camp!
Skidmark

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

I only relax when I drag my luggage into my Marriott room. Until then, my MD has provided valium to get me through the nerve-wracking travel hassles. I've had too many experiences with missed flights, lost luggage, and delays to enjoy traveling by air.

Packing has begun. Checked bag contains all the replaceable stuff. Hope everyone has safe and hassle-free travels. Looking forward to making new friends, and seeing life-long friends again.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA