Leadership Changes at Space Camp

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

WesL
Camper
Camper

Leadership Changes at Space Camp

Post by WesL »

Morning all,

Last week my phone blew up with news that one of the best program managers Space Camp has ever had been let go. Most of us know her simply as Kirby. I've gotten some details and I'm most certainly all for respecting her privacy but it doesn't seem like a smart decision. Since the first day I stepped in the doors to the U.S. Space and Rocket Center there have been weird political fights going on with finger pointing and such. Apparently nothing has changed and I feel that the U.S. Space and Rocket Center just made a horrible decision and let a massive amount of operational knowledge leave the center. Camp operations have a battle rhythm that has been perfected over the years that can be difficult to understand at times. I'm hoping that all the changes don't cause issues in the rhythm. At least all this is happening while camp is pretty much in shut down mode.

With that being said there is some good news. The leadership of the center has decided to go old school, ugh... old camp? AS of last week there is a state position listing for a VP of Space Camp Programs. If anyone is interested in applying or knows someone that could be a good fit send them the job listing ---> https://spacecamp.applicantstack.com/x/ ... ur4u72lpgc . That being said I was asked by several people who I thought would be a good candidate for the VP spot. I had several in mind and even spoke to a few of them. I've actually been ribbing Astronaut Doug Wheellock about it on Twitter. https://twitter.com/weslyons/status/662633124967395328. He quickly replied that he was working on more "field" experience. Can't blame him for that.

In other news the Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission met on Friday for their annual meeting. They held elections and selected a new set of officers for the new FY. Dr. Suzy Young from UA Huntsville was elected as Chair, Craig Naudain from SAIC was elected as Vice Chair and Dr. Waymon Burke of Calhoun Community College was elected Secretary. I feel that all three are excellent choices and have showed enthusiasm for the center and camp programs. You can actually spot Dr. Young in the recent Today story about adult camps at about the 2 minute mark. (https://www.hab1.com/2015/08/09/space-c ... -tomorrow/)

The board did not discuss the leadership changes to Space Camp but I'm told that several board members are aware. I would think that something as big as letting your program management go and replacing with a new VP position would be something the board would need to vote on or at the very least be officially briefed on. Then again they didn't exactly get the chance to approve the Space Camp logos either.

Finally, I'm off to a few NASA Socials over the next few weeks. Tomorrow I depart for Seattle to learn how NASA and the University of Washington are operating an amazing program called OLYMPEX that will help NASA and other agencies make more accurate weather forecasts down the road. I'm also confirmed to attend the next ISS resupply mission by ATK Orbital using a Delta V made just down the road at ULA Decatur. Take a moment and follow me on Twitter (http://twitter.com/WesLyons) and Periscope as well. I also use SnapChat as WesLyonsLive. Look forward to sharing the experiences with everyone!
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Leadership Changes at Space Camp

Post by p51 »

I've never been one to get entangled in politics (especially from over 3000 miles away), but I can't ignore that the center has had more than enough issues of its own over the years.
I didn't know Kirby, but this is the second thing I've read recently, decrying her being let go. Apparently, fans of SC liked her work. That's sad when that happens to someone liked/respected.
As for who'd fill the slot, there's a reason why I never wanted a position with that level of authority (I had my fill in the Army), in that such positions are generally considered temporary in the corporate world, and again, I never get involved in politics. I was once offered a chance to run an aviation museum, which I turned down for that very reason.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

I've known Kerby for years. She is OUTSTANDING in every way. I will miss her constant smile and dedication.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Additional Director and Assistant Director positions have been posted.

https://spacecamp.applicantstack.com/x/openings/aaa6
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

That looks like a total cleanout. Pretty much every program manager is listed. I am glad I went to the Adult Academy this year. Who knows what a totally new administration will put forward in the future as far as programs.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Real motivating to drop an application for a job you could be fired from during one of their future 'clean sweeps', isn't it?
I've heard to many horror stories about people being canned from there for no good reasons to ever think of wanting to apply...
Skidmark

WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

VP of Space Camp position closed today. Can't wait to see who they end up with!
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

WesL wrote:VP of Space Camp position closed today. Can't wait to see who they end up with!
Darn, I forgot to apply ;)

It looks like all positions are closed. Could that be an indication that they had replacements in mind? or a need for speed to get someone in those seats ASAP? I tend to believe the former.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Management types like this tend to be nomadic. They go from one high-profile gig to another as a normal course of a career.
So the idea of any of us dropping an application and 'living happily ever after' at Space Camp isn't realistic.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

The U.S. Space & Rocket Center is pleased to announce it has hired a new vice president to oversee Space Camp programs. James “Trip” Ferguson joins the Rocket Center as a proven operational leader with a diverse background in corporate and military leadership. Most recently, Ferguson served as the Vice President of Operations for Remington Outdoor Company, where he led the start-up activities for the Huntsville campus.

“We are proud to welcome Trip to our Rocket Center team,” Dr. Deborah Barnhart, CEO and Executive Director of the Rocket Center, said. “His business acumen will bolster Space Camp's global reputation and his military experience brings enhanced credibility to our Aviation Challenge® and Space Camp Robotics camps. His broad professional shoulders will carry a whole new generation of space professionals to the fulfillment of their aspirations. A patriot, a dad, and a proven business professional, he's got the right stuff for our mission."

Prior to Remington, Ferguson worked with GE Energy, Inland Pipe Rehabilitation and Smith & Nephew in progressive leadership positions. He was commissioned as a Marine Corps officer and attained the rank of captain while completing three overseas tours. Ferguson deployed twice to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, including the 2004 Battle of Fallujah, and served as the Battalion Landing Team Intelligence Officer for the evacuation of American citizens from Lebanon in 2006 as a member of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Trip holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics with Merit from the United States Naval Academy. He served on the Executive Committee for the Chamber of Commerce of Huntsville/Madison County and is a member of the Huntsville Rotary. Trip lives in Huntsville with his wife, Lyndsay, and their two young sons, James and John David.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:He was commissioned as a Marine Corps officer and attained the rank of captain while completing three overseas tours. Ferguson deployed twice to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, including the 2004 Battle of Fallujah, and served as the Battalion Landing Team Intelligence Officer for the evacuation of American citizens from Lebanon in 2006 as a member of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

Trip holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics with Merit from the United States Naval Academy.
Hmmm. Annapolis grad and a staff officer... Anyone who's served can read between the lines on those two points. Just sayin'...
Skidmark