Inspired by my visit to Marshall...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Inspired by my visit to Marshall...

Post by SDelSignore »

Inspired by my visit to Marshall...I made an Apollo Command Module Pilot suit.

Stephen
Team Columbia - ASA 49 9/2015
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Inspired by my visit to Marshall...

Post by gt0163c »

SDelSignore wrote:Inspired by my visit to Marshall...I made an Apollo Command Module Pilot suit.
That looks great!
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

You made that? Details man, we want details!
There are some commercial A7-series suits out there, and they're okay for a Halloween costume. But I've seen some amazing builds: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t= ... light=nasa This guy makes amazing stuff, truly breathtaking. If my wife wouldn't kill me for suggesting it, I'd love one of his Apollo or Mercury suit projects: http://www.ryannagata.com/ He also will make the two-piece beta fabric Apollo suit they wore on their way to the moon, but it ain't cheap, either...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SDelSignore
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by SDelSignore »

Yes...it is pretty good...it is certainly no where at all the quality of the link you send...that is awesome!... Believe it or not, my suit is simply made from 2 Tyvek jumpsuits, some black paint (used part of the tyvek hood for the Snoopy cap), one of those little flags you get at parades for the large flag patch, and A Nasa patch and Apollo patch I had. The wrist couplings are made from rubber plumbing caps painted with red and blue mettalic paint. The neck is taken from a 5 gallon bucket. For the red and blue host connections I used a variety of rubber/plastic car parts (rubber headlight insert, power steering cap, etc.) and PVC pipe couplings.

I just made it on a whim...I think I cam going to wear it Halloween and then maybe to the next comic con I go to... Barbara Eden is there and I thought it would be cool to get a photo and have my name on the suit say "Nelson". :)

Stephen
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Good job! Looks better than any of the costume suits you see in the different online "space shops".

For what it's worth, there are some pretty good 3D-printed Apollo suit hose connectors on Shapeways. I would post the link, but the shapeways site happens to be down at the moment. Look for a username kenlandrum
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
TheBryanScout
Camper
Camper

Post by TheBryanScout »

Hotdog wrote:Good job! Looks better than any of the costume suits you see in the different online "space shops".

For what it's worth, there are some pretty good 3D-printed Apollo suit hose connectors on Shapeways. I would post the link, but the shapeways site happens to be down at the moment. Look for a username kenlandrum
Yeah, those are pretty accurate couplings. I know Mr. Nagata on The Replica Prop Forum used those on one of his A7Ls. But he used them to make resin molds, because that'd be lighter.
Space Academy 2014-Team Deimos