Full Commission Meeting Notes 5/22/15

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

WesL
Camper
Camper

Full Commission Meeting Notes 5/22/15

Post by WesL »

The Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission Meeting met on Friday and I have to say it was a good meeting. As always Dr. Barnhart gave a great CEO's report that highlighted a lot of the great things that have happened since the commission last met. I would like to point out that not only did she give kudos to the Space Camp Alumni Association but she went to great lengths to explain how the association has stepped out on a limb and assumed the financial burden and risk of growing the alumni weekend/festival. I am also pleased to announce that the Space Camp Alumni Association now has a slot on the U.S. Space and Rocket Center Foundation Board of Directors. John Ramsey, in addition to being a stellar leader for the alumni association, significant donor and all around good guy has accepted the position on the foundation.

Lots of great events coming up but I wanted to single out one in particular that holds a special place in my heart. Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission Chair, Joe Fitzgerald, has planned a Victory over Japan (VJ) day celebration for August 15th. He described it as "an Honor Flight without the flight". His plan is to invite veterans from WWII from around the region to attend with their family and enjoy the day. The celebration is also scheduled to include a fighter jet flyover at somepoint during the day. No doubt it will be an exciting event and I hope that if any of you are in the area you consider coming out and showing your support. I spoke to Joe briefly after the meeting and told him that if he was made aware of a veteran that needed someone to drive them to and from the event that I would be glad to help. Call it an Honor Drive if you will. If anyone else might be interested let me know and I'll pass on the information.

Quick items of note that I took away from the meeting:

The A-12 Oxcart (aka Blackbird) was originally slated to move to the grassy area at the intersection of where Tranquility Base and Old Madison Pike meet (in front of the Marriott). Those changes have been changed to move the A-12 to the west side of the main museum complex between the Davidson Center for Space Exploration (Saturn V Hall) and the main entrance. Various reasons for the move include existing infrastructure (electricity) and reducing the chance of possible traffic flow issues at the main entrance. I did a quick drive by of the new spot both from the parking lot and I-565 and it should still result in a stunning display. It was also announced that a local company (sorry I couldn't catch the name because of someone talking near me but I believe it was S3) has donated the remaining funds to get the project underway.

After payroll was complete the center had around $1.4 million in the bank and no use of their credit line. Good news all around. The center is being proactive and looking at the months ahead and working to forecast just how much of the credit line they might have to use as the summer crowds start to die down. The big thing to take away from that dialog is that they are planning... it isn't a free-for-all and I look forward to hearing what projects/exhibits are going to take place in the fall/winter months.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Wes
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Full Commission Meeting Notes 5/22/15

Post by majtom7 »

Thanks for sharing!
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino