Pamper pole area 51

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

coolgal
Camper
Camper

Pamper pole area 51

Post by coolgal »

I recently turned 18 so this summer will be my 3rd and probably last time going to camp. I'm super excited but the thought of having to climb the pamper pole a 3rd time makes me cringe.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Pamper pole area 51

Post by p51 »

Pamper pole? :?:
I've been to SC three times and have no idea what you're talking about. But then again, the adult 2-3 day programs usually never spend much time in area 51. Heck, I didn't know the zip line even existed until my team took to it last October...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

It's this telephone pole that's about 30 ft high. You have to climb to the top and jump off, but there's not really a platform so it takes a lot of balance and grip to pull yourself up. It's awful so I always volunteer to go first to get it over with.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

The 3 day adult camps don't do any of the high ropes stuff, just a couple of the low ropes activities. You only spend an hour and a half there.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I've done a bunch of low and high ropes courses in the past and have found that the Pamper Pole at Area 51 to be the easiest to conquer of all of the ones I've tried. I think the main reason (and it's all psychological) is that you can feel the tension on the rope attached to your back. For me, that just makes it a lot easier to make that jump.

One thing that I did the last time I did the pole, that seemed to make the getting to the top of the pole easier, was to kneel on the top and then stand up rather than to try to figure out how to get my feet up there first. It's still a little nerve wracking, but as the head ropes course guy said (don't remember his name but I want to say his call sign was Bojangles), at that point, you've got to come down anyway, so you might as well just go for it. I'm actually hoping to get to try the zipline. Never done the Area 51 one.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Ah. I never have a problem with stuff like this, as I don't have any fear when the tether is involved. I hear that's rare, but all the times I was strapped into helicopters and such, I totally trust tethers now. It's be as easy as stepping off a curb to me.
gt0163c wrote:I'm actually hoping to get to try the zipline. Never done the Area 51 one.
That was a lot of fun. I went first in our group but wished I'd gone off backwards (like a SCUBA diver going off the boat) or drove head-first, as I wasn't aware of what manner of exit from the tower they'd allow. That was my only concern going off that tower, that I'd get in trouble for doing something they'd consider unsafe...
Halfway down, I stretched out horizontal and acted like I was asleep. Not to say that zip lines like this are a ho-hum thing for me, but we had one in our backyard when my brother and I were kids, and I did plenty of stuff like this in the Army. So it wasn't totally unfamiliar territoy for me at A51.
Here's Steve on this forum going off, I don't think anyone got a shot of yours truly going first:
Skidmark

coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

I've done the zip line and rock wall and they didn't seem bad. For some reason my knees just get shaky at the pamper pole. All of the classes, building rockets, and dippin dots are worth it though. Not to mention all those nights staying up late with my room mates. The people I meet at space camp are always the best.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Glad you are coming back for a third session, coolgal! My third trip to Space Camp was my favorite of them all. And you can always come back as an adult!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

It'll be hard to beat the second time. :D It'll also be my 3rd time going to International camp. I've never not been to international camp, so I'm not sure how the regular session compares. I think since I'm going to college in Huntsville I might try to be a crew trainer or lifeguard at Space Camp in a few years rather than going back to adult camp, but who knows.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I've never done international camp, but I have visited during international week and watched the opening ceremony, and that gave me a pretty good idea of how awesome and unique the experience must be. Did you dress up and represent your home state or country?

I think after I turned 18, Space Camp sent me an application to be a crew trainer. I still have it along with the official letter. Have you gotten one yet? I probably would have done it had I stayed in the area for college. Once you get settled in at college, you should definitely try out for it!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Usually they have the state's teacher of the year represent the state so I haven't gotten to do anything like that, but it looks like a lot of fun for them to dress up, and everything. I haven't gotten any applications yet either but I think you need to be 21 now to be a crew trainer. School will be right by the rocket enter so I'll at least get to visit the museum until then.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

The first time I saw the Pamper Pole I said "You've gotta be kidding me!" As many do, even astronauts, I have an innate fear of heights. The first time was...one of the scariest things I've ever done. The wooden plate on the top was extra loose, and even though you're harnessed, it takes every bit of nerve in your mind and body to do it.

After doing it for several years, now all I think about it is how fast I can do it.

I timed a fellow Camper named Zippy one time. That's how he got his call sign. 17 seconds from the first ladder step to slapping the rope. It was really something to see. Last I heard, one Crew Trainer/Area 51 staffer had the record at 11 seconds!

One year we had a young Crew trainer who was absolutely TERRIFIED of heights. She'd tremble walking down a stair well, she was that phobic. Well, she saw us all go up, and we all encouraged her to try it for her first time. As she stood on the disk on top there were tears running down her face, but she didn't back down and went all the way. That was one of the bravest acts I've ever witnessed, and she said later it had been a life changing experience.

Conquering your fears is a big part of growing up, and that never ends. The Pamper Pole is a Camp experience that allows you to do that, big time. I'm still afraid of heights, but I will always enjoy those few seconds standing on that disk, arms outstretched, and soaking in the view. Life at its fullest!
Last edited by Phoenix PK on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

This pole sounds interesting, would love to do it the next time I'm there.
Phoenix PK wrote:The first time I saw the Pamper Pole I said "You've gotta be kidding me!" As many do, even astronauts, I have an innate fear of heights. The first time was...one of the scariest things I've ever done. The wooden plate on the top was extra loose, and even though you're harnessed, it takes very bit of nerve in your mind and body to do it.
I was scared of heights when I was a kid, as most kids are. I cured myself of that as a teen. I climbed a 30-foot dive tower (the top part was removed the following year) at Wakulla Springs, Florida, got right up to the edge and made myself as scared as I could...
Then just jumped right off. 8O
Then I repeated it several times.
Now, I'm aware of heights, but no more scared of them than I am crossing a busy street. I tried getting into Airborne school in the Army several times, but the pre-9/11 'budget' Army didn't send people from non-jump units to jump school back then. Didn't stop me from sneaking onto some NATO country opportunities, though...
At the risk of sounding like I'm bragging, when I went off the zip line tower, the height didn't even enter my mind. I really should have just dove off the thing but didn't want to get in trouble for doing it in a way they might consider unsafe as I had no idea what they considered a 'safe departure' off that tower. If I get the chnace to do that again, I'll just roll backwards off the thing like a scuba diver entering the water. I bet that'd shock some folks.
Skidmark

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

One year, when Bojangles still ran the place, we were allowed to take a running jump off the tower. That's the way to do it, for sure.

I miss Bojangles, he was cool. Reminded me a lot of R. Lee Ermey.
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phoenix PK wrote:One year, when Bojangles still ran the place, we were allowed to take a running jump off the tower. That's the way to do it, for sure.
Yeah, if I had one regret from October at SC, it was not asking if there was any safety limitations to how someone left the tower.
Skidmark