Kennedy Space Center

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Krw3r
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Kennedy Space Center

Post by Krw3r »

Please feel free to move this if this is not in the right spot. I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the Off Topic area.

Hello everyone! You were all so helpful while I was getting ready for my 4-day Adult Space Camp and I was wondering if you could help me again. I will be celebrating my 24th birthday May 25th-29th in Orlando (Harry Potter World/Universal) with my best friend and we (I've) decided to take a day trip to Kennedy Space Center. Since we are so close to the coast we also want to go to the beach after closing. I am considering taking the Up Close Launch Control Center Tour but the tour is 2 1/2 hours longs which will cut into exploring time.

My questions:
What parts are similar to the US Space and Rocket Center?
What are the must see attractions?
Would it be weird/questionable if I walk around in my space camp t-shirt?
What is the best way to get to the beach from KSC?/What beach is best to go to?
My friend is not a Space Geek so is there anything in particular that will appeal to her?

I'm sure I'm come up with more later but this is a good start
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Kennedy Space Center

Post by p51 »

The LCC tour is amazing, I really enjoyed it very much.
Krw3r wrote:My questions:
1 What parts are similar to the US Space and Rocket Center?
2 What are the must see attractions?
3 Would it be weird/questionable if I walk around in my space camp t-shirt?
4 What is the best way to get to the beach from KSC?/What beach is best to go to?
5 My friend is not a Space Geek so is there anything in particular that will appeal to her?
1. Other than the Saturn V building, next to nothing.
2. Atlantis pavilion, Saturn V building, the main tour which right now goes around back of LCC 39A and B
3. Nope. When Steve, PK and I were there in October, we didn't wear camp shirts, but that was only because we were going directly to SC after the KSC trip. Otherwise, I'd have worn one for sure and I bet my pals would have as well. Here we are with astronaut Robert Crouch (STS-83 and STS 94), showing off our NASA shirts we all showed up with:
4. Cocoa Beach is the closest with any kind of tourist area. Atlantic beaches aren't nearly as nice as the Gulf of Mexico, though.
5. Not in the immediate area, other than the law enforcement hall of fame (next to the soon-to-be close space hall of fame, which I don't suggest wasting your time in) and a really good warplane museum at the Tico airport right on the way to the KSC visitor center, neither of which would appeal to most women.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

p51 wrote: 5. Not in the immediate area, other than the law enforcement hall of fame (next to the soon-to-be close space hall of fame, which I don't suggest wasting your time in) and a really good warplane museum at the Tico airport right on the way to the KSC visitor center, neither of which would appeal to most women.
You may wish to re-phrase that. There's no reason why women wouldn't like such museums. (I quite enjoy them!)

1. Only the Saturn V hall is similar, but the rest of the building and its exhibits are different. It's a very unique place.
2. Atlantis, Atlantis, Saturn V building, Atlantis, Shuttle Launch Experience, did I mention Atlantis?!?!?
3. Why would anyone mind? Of all places, this would be very appropriate. (Although I wear mine all the time, everywhere, except work.)
4. Cocoa Beach is pretty nice, anywhere along the beach, really.
5. KSC is a breeding ground for space geeks, in that it can make anyone appreciate space exploration. There's a good nature exhibit at KSC about the various wildlife in the area. There's also an education centre if you visit during a weekday. KSC is pretty far from anything else. However, if it's not her thing, she could drive to the beach for the day, read in the park (at KSC or elsewhere), visit the museums p51 mentioned, hang out in Titusville or Cocoa Beach, go hiking in the nearby forested park, whatever she likes...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

P51 pretty much covered it. You probably won't have time for any of this, but the Then And Now tour is pretty cool. It takes you to the older launch pads and parts of the Air Force Station, which has its own museum which is worth seeing, as there's a few rockets and space stuff that's more military-related over there.

Some other (nearby) places ya might check out (again, if you have time) are The Space Store and The Space Walk Of Fame.

Prepare to spend lots and lots of time in the Atlantis pavilion. You will probably want to go through it at least twice. So freakin' awesome!

If you are driving back to Tennessee, it's worth it to stop in Stark, FL (near Jacksonville) at the Wings Of Dreams museum. They have a lot of space artifacts, mostly shuttle-era stuff. You have to book in advance to see the space stuff, though.

And nothing wrong with wearing your Space Camp shirt. You probably won't be the only one, as there are over 650,000 of us alumni out there! When I was there in December for the Orion launch, I struck up a conversation with a guy wearing his shirt from Camp. So, maybe you'll meet some fellow alumni this way!

I don't think you have to be a space geek to enjoy KSC. If your friend is not wow'd by the Atlantis display and exhibits, or awe-struck by the massive Saturn V, then you may want to check his/her pulse.

For dinner, be sure to go to Dixie Crossroads in Titusville. The food there is OUTSTANDING.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote:You may wish to re-phrase that. There's no reason why women wouldn't like such museums. (I quite enjoy them!)
I think we can agree you're not normal, but in a good way. :wink: The Valiant Air Command warbird museum is very cool, but you simply don't see many women there. In fact, I've been there twice and the only woman I've ever seen in the place was the lady who runs the gift shop...
Besides, I'm going with the original question:
My friend is not a Space Geek so is there anything in particular that will appeal to her?
Generally, 'not a space geek' would, to me, indicate she's highly unlikely a military aviation geek, either. I can't of course say for sure, but I would think it's a safe bet to assume that.
Skidmark

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:If you are driving back to Tennessee, it's worth it to stop in Stark, FL (near Jacksonville) at the Wings Of Dreams museum. They have a lot of space artifacts, mostly shuttle-era stuff. You have to book in advance to see the space stuff, though.
Be aware that Starke has one of the biggest and least forgiving speed traps in the US, do not speed at all through there! 8O
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I wish I could remember the place we ate at in 1984 and again in '87, that is on the left side of the main road leading in to KSC. It looked like a dive in a strip shopping center, but had rock shrimp to die for! They brought us a tray full (waiter beverage tray), steamed and in the shell with a bowl of butter for dipping. Divine!
Living the dream