So, who's ready for 2015?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

street
Counselor
Counselor

Re: So, who's ready for 2015?

Post by street »

Few of you probably remember, but there was a 6 day adult program every September for years. I was a counselor for such a team the last year it occurred (I remember distinctly being blown off my feet under Pathfinder, as Katrina roared through Huntsville, walking my team from the UAT to the Hab). Unfortunately it was cut for the very reason companies cut programs any time. It wasn't profitable. That last team had 10 people. The 'perks' expected, that we tried to provide, had gotten out of hand. It cost more to run that one team than was collected in tuition. The price was raised and an insufficient number of people signed up the next year. The program was cancelled, and that was the end of 6 day adult camp. Space Camp is under the auspices of a not for profit foundation, but 'not for profit' doesn't mean 'give it away'. If the program is to be revived it has to be one that will pay for itself.

If you are truly interested in reviving the 6 day adult program then I highly recommend that you find a voice at Camp. Work with the Alumni Advancement Board (of which several are active on this forum). Make yourselves heard in a productive manner and you can move mountains.
Living the dream
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

street wrote: I was a counselor for such a team the last year it occurred (I remember distinctly being blown off my feet under Pathfinder, as Katrina roared through Huntsville, walking my team from the UAT to the Hab).
street wrote: Unfortunately it was cut for the very reason companies cut programs any time. It wasn't profitable. That last team had 10 people. The 'perks' expected, that we tried to provide, had gotten out of hand. It cost more to run that one team than was collected in tuition. The price was raised and an insufficient number of people signed up the next year. The program was cancelled, and that was the end of 6 day adult camp.
I said something similar in private yesterday. The demand is not there. It also sounds like the price is elastic, i.e., the higher the price is, the fewer people buy. That is another one of the problems with corporate camps. You can only customize so much before the price gets too high, even for highly motivated buyers.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote: That is another one of the problems with corporate camps. You can only customize so much before the price gets too high, even for highly motivated buyers.
Yeah, I could be counted in the motivate buyer segment, but I know what the corporate programs cost. If I ever get invited to take part, that's going to be a very hard sell to my wife to pay that much, to an individual who I'd have to lawyer up against if things went bad.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote:Yeah, I could be counted in the motivate buyer segment, but I know what the corporate programs cost. If I ever get invited to take part, that's going to be a very hard sell to my wife to pay that much, to an individual who I'd have to lawyer up against if things went bad.
That price could easily go higher. I tried to get costs on individual pieces and USSRC only wanted to discuss corporate camp as a whole. Add in travel costs and you can easily outprice your audience.

You could lawyer up all you want. If there's no written agreements, there's no way to prove anything. That's why you get involved with people that you know and trust...and vice-versa.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

True words, "Tom." Team Phoenix has been together for many, many years, and we trust each other, and
our Leader, Rockhound, trusts us. Last year, you and SpaceCanada and her hubby Goose, were new to
us (most of us, that is), but the trust was there. Yes, Corporate Camp is a matter of serious trust.
It's only for diehard, committed Camp Junkies, for whom price is no object. We NEED to go, and not
just for a few days. If that's the way it is, that's the way it is.

That said, some Camp Junkies will take whatever they can get, and make the best of it. That's why
I'm flying with you and Steve and p51 this year. And I can't wait!
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I had stellar (interstellar?) references.... Radlady, Rockhound, and Jackie.... Two out of the three had seen me outside of USSRC. Hard to get much better than that :)

Yet at the same time, as Repro said in an email, it's a matter of fit. Just because you can ante up into the game does not mean that you fit....

and price is always an object....
Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

majtom7 wrote:....and price is always an object....
Shhhh, yes I know, just don't tell Congress, :lol:
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Phoenix PK wrote:Last year, you and SpaceCanada and her hubby Goose, were new to
us (most of us, that is), but the trust was there.
I was part of Team Phoenix before it was named as such, and knew most of the team from an adult 8-day camp in 2004. Spacewalker was there that week in 2004 too, for the weekend camp. I kept in touch with everyone over the years until I could get my husband convinced to attend. Goose was completely new last year and loved it. ;)

The trust for corporate teams is essential and part of what makes a random group of people (or internet friends) difficult to pull together to make a team. I wonder how many other 'corporate' groups are just a group of friends?

After my hospital adventure last year (whilst at camp, and some side effects that still require treatment at home) I am having trouble convincing Goose to return to camp in 2015 but it shouldn't be too difficult to twist his arm when the time comes. After all, we were talking last night about walking around rocket park at night and eating Skittles, so his interest is still high.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:You could lawyer up all you want. If there's no written agreements, there's no way to prove anything. That's why you get involved with people that you know and trust...and vice-versa.
that was my point in regards to selling it to my wife. She doesn't trust anyone she doesn't know with that kind of money...
Skidmark

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

SpaceCanada wrote:
Phoenix PK wrote:Last year, you and SpaceCanada and her hubby Goose, were new to
us (most of us, that is), but the trust was there.
I was part of Team Phoenix before it was named as such, and knew most of the team from an adult 8-day camp in 2004. Spacewalker was there that week in 2004 too, for the weekend camp. I kept in touch with everyone over the years until I could get my husband convinced to attend. Goose was completely new last year and loved it. ;)

The trust for corporate teams is essential and part of what makes a random group of people (or internet friends) difficult to pull together to make a team. I wonder how many other 'corporate' groups are just a group of friends?

After my hospital adventure last year (whilst at camp, and some side effects that still require treatment at home) I am having trouble convincing Goose to return to camp in 2015 but it shouldn't be too difficult to twist his arm when the time comes. After all, we were talking last night about walking around rocket park at night and eating Skittles, so his interest is still high.
Hey Jennifer, let me backpedal a lot, 'cause I think I may have unintentionally slighted the role you and Maj. Tom have played in group. Y'all were on the Team way before me, I just wish I had met you two before, because I adore you both (and Goose, who I think would make a great astronaut and he proved it!).

I'm hoping we can do it again in 2015, but whenever we can, I can't wait to see all of you again!
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote: After all, we were talking last night about walking around rocket park at night and eating Skittles, so his interest is still high.
Eating Skittles? Is that what you kids call it? ;)

You'll have to let us know if the Rocket Garden @ KSC has the same effect on Goose ;)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

majtom7 wrote:Eating Skittles?
You'll have to let us know if the Rocket Garden @ KSC has the same effect on Goose ;)
Skittles were the only allergy-safe candy available in the vending machines and so I ate a lot of them at camp... too many, really. That and plain Lays potato crisps, but those weren't as fun because I eat them at home. Kyle preferred Pop Tarts as his late night snack.

Our trip to KSC is less than two months away. Cannot wait! Kyle is extremely excited, as am I. I'm hoping he starts bouncing off the walls and begging to return to Space Camp. You know, because big kids (like Goose) turn into little kids when they are in space museums. If a day at KSC doesn't work, I'll make the taxi stop at the Astronaut Hall of Fame and reminisce about how that facility used to be Space Camp Florida. And then a few more trips to the local science centre should solidify it. :D
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote: If a day at KSC doesn't work-
Then nothing will.
Even though I'd worked with NASA in the military and have always had an interest in space, it wasn't until I went there in 2011 and really realized how much it spun my spurs. That totally rekindled my interest in space and got me on the road to going to SC the first time.
Going to KCS with Steve and John next month, for 3 solid days, then we head to Huntsville. I can't wait!
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

There's a May 2015 4-day listed. It's not described as a 4-day but you can tell from the dates & price.

The September 2015 4-day is still a bargain at $499.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Adult Programs Holding has returned. Pay now, choose your dates later.

I wonder if the refund policy is less restrictive with this option.
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

We were told today that USSRC will list 2 week long adult pilot programs in 2015. They'll need at least 12 attendees each to be a GO.
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

majtom7 wrote:We were told today that USSRC will list 2 week long adult pilot programs in 2015. They'll need at least 12 attendees each to be a GO.
"Pilot programs" as in pilot astronaut? Aviation Challenge? Or "Let's try this out and see if it works" pilot program?
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

gt0163c wrote: "Pilot programs" as in pilot astronaut? Aviation Challenge? Or "Let's try this out and see if it works" pilot program?
as in "This is a test of the..."
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Woo hah!!. I just need to find out the dates and see if I can get the time off. The sooner, the better.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I'd totally be down for a week, especially if I could get lucky enough to have it happen during one of the few weeks I don't have school during the year. I'm so excited for my 3 day in January though, I've got to try not to get too excited over the thought of a week long camp haha.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy