So, who's ready for 2015?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

So, who's ready for 2015?

Post by Conan »

Being a librarian, I thought I should start a new thread for next year's registration, since it is being discussed in the 2014 thread. So, Street, is there any plan for a 6-day or longer Adult program? I am sure that a lot of us alumni would be interested.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: So, who's ready for 2015?

Post by p51 »

Conan wrote:So, Street, is there any plan for a 6-day or longer Adult program? I am sure that a lot of us alumni would be interested.
Darn right. This year, I originally was planning on begging my way into a well-known corportate program, but they decided to bag on 2014 (a few of them will be on the same team I'm on this Fall for the normal adult program).
While I'm hoping for either the same corporate program to get rolling in 2015 and to allow me to come along, I'd love to do the original week-long adult program.
That said, next year is my 15th wedding anniversary and my wife and I have plans for a trip we've been planning for a while. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to do SC next year for that reason and the fact it's almost impossible to take any time off where I work. I'm not ruling anything out and am planning on doing whatever I can to make Huntsville yet again.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

ME!!! ME!! ME!!! First time ever at space camp will be Jan 16-18! As you guys have probably figured out by now, I am SO excited. Got my plane tickets and arrangements already made with a friend who is going to pick me up from the airport and let me crash at his place for a night, then take me to camp the next day. Woohoo!!
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

wxnerdjenn wrote:ME!!! ME!! ME!!! First time ever at space camp will be Jan 16-18! As you guys have probably figured out by now, I am SO excited. Got my plane tickets and arrangements already made with a friend who is going to pick me up from the airport and let me crash at his place for a night, then take me to camp the next day. Woohoo!!
You're going to have to let us know all about a cold weather experience, most people never get to go to SC when it's not boiling outside...
Skidmark

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

That said, next year is my 15th wedding anniversary and my wife and I have plans for a trip we've been planning for a while. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to do SC next year for that reason and the fact it's almost impossible to take any time off where I work. I'm not ruling anything out and am planning on doing whatever I can to make Huntsville yet again.
Actually, 2016 would probably be better for me, as well, but if there is a week-long program in 2015, I will do what I can to be there.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

There is nothing on the books for a 6 day adult camp. :( I know that's a disappointment for several of you. As always, if you want to organize a 'corporate' group and customize your experience, you're welcome to do so! :mrgreen:
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:There is nothing on the books for a 6 day adult camp. :( I know that's a disappointment for several of you.
Big understatement there, but I can't say I'm all that shocked to hear this.
street wrote:As always, if you want to organize a 'corporate' group and customize your experience, you're welcome to do so!
That's far easier said than done. I know someone who looked into it once and got nothing to show for it, and a well-established corporate program group bowed out this year as well. Hopefully they missed their week-long Huntsville experience this year and will be doing it in 2015 (but that's assuming I could get in with them and have the time off to make it happen, all huge assumptions).
Man, I was so hoping the 4-day programs this year were leading to a few week-long adult programs in 2015... :|
Skidmark

wxnerdjenn
Camper
Camper

Post by wxnerdjenn »

I wish there were more 4 days offered, but I'd give a kidney for a 6 day like the kids get. Alas, I will just sit here bouncing off the walls and obsessively checking my confirmation pages for my first 3 day :D I'm still paranoid that there won't be enough attendance and January will get cancelled, but was assured on twitter that that rarely, if ever, happens. I guess I'll know for sure in November when I get the email about filling out my forms.
January 16-18, 2015 - Adult 3 Day Space Camp
Team Challenger
---Alpha: Science Officer in MOCR ---- Bravo: Pilot ---- Charlie: Commander
October 11-16, 2015 - Adult Advanced Space Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

street wrote:As always, if you want to organize a 'corporate' group and customize your experience, you're welcome to do so! :mrgreen:
Easier said that done...

Someone has to front the cost for everyone, say $25,000 with no refunds if people drop out. That is a lot of trust to place in your 15 new "friends" from the Internet. Conversely, if you collect the money first before paying USSRC, that is a lot of trust to place in the front person. In addition, USSRC is not very helpful in trying to customize a schedule and arriving at a cost so you have something to show people to recruit them. :cry:
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:Someone has to front the cost for everyone, say $25,000 with no refunds if people drop out. That is a lot of trust to place in your 15 new "friends" from the Internet. Conversely, if you collect the money first before paying USSRC, that is a lot of trust to place in the front person. In addition, USSRC is not very helpful in trying to customize a schedule and arriving at a cost so you have something to show people to recruit them. :cry:
I agree fully with this, the center really doesn't make it easy at all. If they offered a way for a split in the total cost across a fixed number of members and allowed them to pay the center directly, depositing that money so the people going feel solid about where the money has gone, I think they'd get more groups of alumni like Team Phoenix.
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

p51 wrote: I agree fully with this, the center really doesn't make it easy at all. If they offered a way for a split in the total cost across a fixed number of members and allowed them to pay the center directly, depositing that money so the people going feel solid about where the money has gone, I think they'd get more groups of alumni like Team Phoenix.
They may have done this in the past and been burned. I do not know the details but at one week long camp that I went to, USSRC called us a couple of weeks beforehand to see if we wanted to do the camp with 8 people as a corporate group of 10 had dropped out.

Besides, allowing members of a corporate group to pay USSRC directly is essentially the same as putting a weeklong camp on the schedule with one important difference. The difference is that USSRC is taking the risk that everyone in the group will pay as agreed and if not, that the others would pay more to cover the total cost. I believe that USSRC has enough experience with people dropping out not to want to do that. I would guess that is why USSRC has a no refund policy.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

One could always sign up for the 6 or 13 day AC.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

majtom7 wrote:One could always sign up for the 6 or 13 day AC.
Again, not offered to adults. :(
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Conan wrote:Being a librarian, I thought I should start a new thread for next year's registration, since it is being discussed in the 2014 thread. So, Street, is there any plan for a 6-day or longer Adult program? I am sure that a lot of us alumni would be interested.
I'd be interested in a 6-day program (or an 8 day...13 day like they're doing for AC for the kids wouldn't be out of the question). Bummer that they don't have any on the schedule for next year. But if anyone is getting a corporate camp together, I'd be interested in getting onboard.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

SpaceCanada wrote:
Maybe I should have read that since deleted email a little slower... :?
although, since they take 18 year olds, they are accepting legal adults. :wink:
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

majtom7 wrote:
SpaceCanada wrote:
although, if they allow 18 year olds, they are technically allowing legal adults. :wink:
If only they let the big kids (adults over 18) go to the kids' programs. I find teenagers more fun and interesting than a lot of adults and would have no problem being on a team where I'm twice the age (or more) of the rest of the campers.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

gt0163c wrote:If only they let the big kids (adults over 18) go to the kids' programs. I find teenagers more fun and interesting than a lot of adults and would have no problem being on a team where I'm twice the age (or more) of the rest of the campers.
No, it's good they don't do that. You'd never know which adults were there for, shall we say, frightening reasons... 8O
Skidmark

Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I thought about telling them that I had flunked my senior year 30 times, but I didn't think they would buy it! :)
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

p51 wrote: No, it's good they don't do that. You'd never know which adults were there for, shall we say, frightening reasons... 8O
Yeah, it's probably a good practice, to keep the creepies away!

I would feel way more at home with the idea of coming back to Space Camp with a bunch of people my age (or older). I remember how intense and competitive it was as a teenager! I would enjoy a more laid-back, adult mentality.

That being said, I can envision a "Billy Madison" type of situation where one of us older folks have to go back to Space Camp and compete on a team at the teenage level. Hmmm, might I have the idea for the next Space Camp movie?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

p51 wrote:
gt0163c wrote:If only they let the big kids (adults over 18) go to the kids' programs. I find teenagers more fun and interesting than a lot of adults and would have no problem being on a team where I'm twice the age (or more) of the rest of the campers.
No, it's good they don't do that. You'd never know which adults were there for, shall we say, frightening reasons... 8O
I completely understand why they don't let adults do the kids' programs (although I think society is way too overprotective of kids, but that's a rant that's well off-topic). But, as a veteran youth volunteer (15+ years volunteering with teenagers and still loving it), and an adult jealous of what the kids get to do, I think it would be a blast.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell