Space Shuttle exhibit/retirement of Shuttle sims

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Space Shuttle exhibit/retirement of Shuttle sims

Post by p51 »

Does anyone have current photos of the Astrotech building now that two of the orbiter sims are over there?
What about the training floor now, what's in the space that Atlantis and Endeavour once occupied? I assume the MOCRs for each were moved across the way, as well?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Endeavour is taking up a large majority of the center section of Astrotrek (as you can imagine). The MOCR is under construction. Attached to middeck is now a 'Space Lab', to be accessed during flight. It will still be used for trainee missions (mostly Pathfinder teams). Eventually it will be part of a shuttle exhibit open to the public, as a walk through. No public 'missions' are on the planning board right now.

The only training simulator still in the center section of Astrotrek are the 1/6th chairs. They will remain there. The MATs and 5DFs are in the west section and the MMU are back in the east section (as they were in the mid 00s).
Living the dream
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Here is Endeavour as she appeared in the Astrotrek building during my visit yesterday. She's getting a lot of work done to her, along with the [Spacelab?] module attached to her. I didn't get to take a good close look at her since I didn't want to get in the way of the workers trying to do their jobs so I was in-and-out. It appears all of the other training equipment that was in Astrotrek has been moved to the training center. The cafeteria side of the Astrotrek building is still the same (for now).

As for Atlantis, she's still being worked on in the training center, I'm guessing because there's not much room for her over in Astrotrek right now while Endeavour is being tended to.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner