Space Camp Onion Article

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

spacemanpic
Camper
Camper

Space Camp Onion Article

Post by spacemanpic »

Ok, my wife (another Space Camp Alumni) shared this article with me.

It is a great example of why Space Camp's current take on the space program may be better than portraying it 100% accurately. It is better to inspire sometimes than expose people to actual government bureacracy.

Disclaimer: For those that don't know, The Onion is not real news...in other words this is a fake news article and does not reflect actual space camp programs.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/modern ... technology

I'm looking forward to the budget cancelation simulator in 2015 (just kidding). :D

- Justin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Space Camp Onion Article

Post by p51 »

Funny stuff.
Last Fall when I was in MOCR as CAPCOM for the first mission, I made the comment that, "If this was an accurate mission sim, they find some minor glitch in a computer program and this launch would be scrubbed until after we've left." The people around me didn't get the joke but I'm positive I heard the trainers trying to choke back some laughter.
Also reminds me a large WW2 re-enactment I went to in the 90s. Everyone was griping about how long it was taking for us to be moved out to the battlefield site (in deep winter in PA, all waiting for busses as the field was way far from the barracks area). I turned around and yelled out, "Let's see, you've been standing around for at least an hour, well before the first vehicle rolled. You have no idea what's going on and you're at the mercy of others to get where you wanna be. Seems to me that this is an accurate depitction of military life!" I heard several people yell out, "amen" in response, I'm sure all of them had served in real life...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Space Camp Onion Article

Post by majtom7 »

Given the bugs in the Orion sim, there is a certain element of truth to this article.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino