STA news

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

STA news

Post by p51 »

Nice video about the STA here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2r1FgBM ... 4-overview
I love this 'patch' design they've created, I sure hope they make patches for it!
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
CRS
Counselor
Counselor

Re: STA news

Post by CRS »

This logo was created by Hotdog! Big kudos goes to him for the hard work on it. It will be made in to a patch for those who donate at that level. This is the link for the campaign http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/land-a-shuttle-training-aircraft-at-the-space-rocket-center
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Thanks guys. It was a pleasure designing the "patch" or logo for the STA that we are so lucky to have coming to The Space & Rocket Center. I must have laid out 17 or 18 different variations of STA logo before getting to this final design. It was a lot of hard work, but it's work that ***this alumni*** is proud to have invested. As a two-time "Best Mission Patch" winner, it's great to come full-circle and have this opportunity to give back to the organization that helped launch my career as a Graphic Designer. But the work for us as alumni has only begun. Our goal is to have the STA displayed in the Shuttle Park in time for the August 8 Hall Of Fame events. In order to do that, we must raise $70,000. That money moves the STA from the Birmingham airport (where it is now) to Shuttle Park and puts it on display behind the T-38. Every little bit helps, whether it be $5 or $5,000. Please reach out to your former teammates, teachers, professors, military officers, etc. to support this cause.

Once the STA is here, an amphitheater will be built below it (where the volleyball courts are now) that will be used to entertain future Space Camp graduations and other events in Shuttle Park. Imagine how this will impact the next generation of kids coming to Space Camp. I've seen the proposal drawings and they are very inspiring. As a fellow alumni speaking to you all, I cannot express how important this is to the future of Space Camp. In the coming days, weeks, and months you will hear more about incentives for donating to the cause (maybe even a chance for a flying lesson with a very popular shuttle astronaut), but do not wait until those sorts of things are announced. Start thinking now about how you will suggest our fundraising project to people you know. Remember, every little bit helps! We as alumni have waited years for our chance to be involved in the future of Space Camp programs and this is only the beginning. Let's make our mark now and show what the alumni can do for Space Camp in the future. We are 600,000 strong, we can do this if each of us put our hearts into it.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Great job on the design. I'd love a patch (especially as I once was inside that aircraft when it was still in NASA service), but $250 is gonna be really hard to justify to my wife when I'm going to soon be booking flights and hotels for my KSC/SC trip this Fall. So I guess a SC/STA patch isn't in my future... :cry:
That said, I'm sure I will be donating something to this campaign and suggesting others also give what they can.
Skidmark

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I will say, I do think the patch at $250 is a bit of a misfire.

Ignoring the other incentives and where they fall in for a moment, I think $25, $35, or $50 would all have been great price points.

Perhaps they'll choose to lower the threshold or, at the very least, offer a limited block of patches at a lower funding level.

At the same time, it's a trade off. If you offer a patch for $50, are you going to be able to entice at least five times as many people to fund the project at that level just to get a patch? That's definitely hard to say.
CRS
Counselor
Counselor

Post by CRS »

Such a great post Brian and thank you for your hard work on the patch and promoting this effort! I will be sure to pass along the patch incentive idea for those who aren't able to participate at the $250 level. There may be some options to incorporate a special call to action on a specific day that we can include the patch for. Stay tuned to our social sites for all kinds of cool news and content around this campaign. Thank you for everyone's helping spreading the word.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Vincent wrote:Ignoring the other incentives and where they fall in for a moment, I think $25, $35, or $50 would all have been great price points.
I agree. Generally, a t-shirt is considered a value higher than a patch, for the price you normally would pay for each...
Any of the above amounts, I'd be far more motived to donate if I get a patch. I'm sure I'm not alone there as space collectors are often a patch-hungry bunch...
Skidmark

ordinaryguy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by ordinaryguy »

Logo looks great Brian. What an awesome project - and it's becoming apparent that so many alumni want to be involved and give back. Makes you proud to be an alumnus of a group that is so committed to the youth that will experience now and in the future.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Thank you! I just finished rendering out the 3D version. Have a look!

4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

Hotdog wrote:Thank you! I just finished rendering out the 3D version. Have a look!

Excellent Work Hotdog. Just thinking, if everyone over the years who went to SC would give just $1.00, how much would this project have? Being realistic some will give, but I believe this project that all of us can be involved in. Let work together on this & to make it a reality. Again Hotdog awesome work!!
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I made my donation. Couldn't afford enough to get the patch, but maybe they will be on sale in the Gift Shop when I go in August.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Conan wrote:I made my donation. Couldn't afford enough to get the patch, but maybe they will be on sale in the Gift Shop when I go in August.
Here's a thought, why can't there be a 'donor' version of the patch for the $250 and a normal version that could be purchased (with a good markup) independently, all going to the cause?
Just curious, as I'm sure many of us here would want one of these patches but $250 is a little beyond what many people here could justify just for that...
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

They may sell them later once the fund raising campaign is over yet they need to keep its value high for now. I am not surprised at the price considering you get the patch, T, poster, bumper sticker, and key ring. The idea is to raise funds. I am sure that everything over the value of the items is tax deductible.
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

In Canada, if you receive an item in return for your donation, especially if that item is advertised and you know about it before you donate, you cannot and will not receive a tax receipt for it. I wonder if the same rules apply in America.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

In America, we still get a tax receipt. We are supposed to subtract the value of the gift received when we put in the amount on our tax returns. Sometimes, the organization will show you the value of the gift on the tax receipt.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

BTW, am I correct in assuming that this initial campaign is just to move the STA from the BHM airport to USSRC? and there will be a follow up to raise money to build the amphitheatre?
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
ordinaryguy
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by ordinaryguy »

majtom7 wrote:BTW, am I correct in assuming that this initial campaign is just to move the STA from the BHM airport to USSRC? and there will be a follow up to raise money to build the amphitheatre?
That's correct - this is part of the first phase of a two phase project:

1) Phase 1 - transport / emplace aircraft (including foundation work) / build stairs canopy for ingress-egress to Cabin / lighting / signage / etc - The $70K gets the aircraft to Huntsville and gets it emplaced.
2) Phase 2 - Amphitheater
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Being discussed at the Collect Space forum as well: http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum41 ... 00608.html
Skidmark

Phoenix PK
Camper
Camper

Post by Phoenix PK »

I sat in the left seat in one of these babies at Ellington years ago. Trippy cockpit,
I can't wait to see it again.

And I want a patch...for the Camp satchel...
1999 ASA
2000 SA
2003 ASA
2004 ASA
2006 ASA
2007 ASA
2008 ASA
2010 ASA
2011 ASA
2012 CSC
2013 CSC
2014 SA
2015 CSC
2015 ASA
2016 ASA
2017 CSC
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phoenix PK wrote:I sat in the left seat in one of these babies at Ellington years ago.
Yep, I sat in one at KSC in the 90s. So odd, how half the cockpit is so different...
Skidmark