So, who's ready for 2014?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: So, who's ready for 2014?

Post by majtom7 »

3 August slots left, 5 for October
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:So here we are, a little over 6 weeks until the August 3 day camp spread over 4 days, and still no listing of major activities. As an educated consumer, I am having a hard time with USSRC's customer unfriendly attitude. For example, if I sign up for a cruise, I know the stops and special events before I pay. The daily order of those is not available but I know what I am going to get. If I buy a packaged vacation, I know what I am getting for my money before I pay. Yet we're supposed to register, pay ahead of time, and find out what we're doing when we start?
I wouldn't go so far as to call it 'unfriendly' as I would more likely call it unfocused. Maybe the current and former staffers here can back this up, but I always got the impression that they plaid this by ear as to how many people were coming in any given session and how they're going to handle it. Especially with a 4-day session, I don't think they've ever done this for adults before (certainly not anytime recently, if ever), so it's hard for them to give a detailed schedule if they really don't have a solid idea of said timeframe.
Now, all that said, I do agree they should give people are a far better clue than they do. I've gone twice before, so I have a relative idea of what to expect on the same type of session, but with an extra day (I badly want them to fill that extra day with more sim time).
majtom7 wrote:That was fine for me the first 4 times yet as an older and wiser repeat customer with more options for spending my hard earned pay, I want to know what I am getting for my money.
I think that if you've gone 4 times already, this shouldn't come as any shock to you as you've seen this already.
But if it really bugs you this much, I see no harm in calling SC and asking to speak to someone in charge.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

No one has asked them for a detailed schedule, just a listing of major activities, e.g., 3 shuttle missions, rocket construction & launch, multi axis & 1/6 trainers, AC, IMAX movie, team photo, mission patch. (That’s roughly the 3 day.) All I want is the major pieces, not the completed puzzle. The 4 day may be less attractive than the 3 day, depending on what they add. (I agree with you. I want that extra day to be mostly sim time, but shuttle sim time, not Orion.) Yet there is no way to know (without asking), there are no refunds, and the sessions for this year are filling up (and dwindling down) if you want to transfer. I plan on calling as you suggested by week’s end if I receive no response before then.

Others have asked the same question and the general response that they have received is that USSRC does not have a detailed schedule until a few weeks before a session starts. It is almost as if USSRC is not listening to what people are saying. That is a customer service problem.

BTW, the major activities were irrelevant for the 4 times, as I knew that they were 4 different camps going in. (first time - weekend camp, second time - 24 hour EDM, third time – 12 hour EDM, fourth time – parent/child)
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

majtom7 wrote:BTW, the major activities were irrelevant for the 4 times, as I knew that they were 4 different camps going in. (first time - weekend camp, second time - 24 hour EDM, third time – 12 hour EDM, fourth time – parent/child)
Yeah, but I doubt you had any greater picture ahead of time in any of those sessions, either. That's what I was refering to.
For what it's worth, I feel your pain and I do agree with your point, as I'm sure many others do as well.
"Guess what guys, it's time to embrace the horror!"
-'Rockhound' in the film, Armageddon
Skidmark

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

There was a certain commonality between the adult camps but you knew the major adds when you registered for Level II or ASA as the brochure had them. Corporate, you get what you pay for.
"Guess what guys, it's time to embrace the horror!"
-'Rockhound' in the film, Armageddon
Moon buggy with a mini gun & live ammo? NOW we're talking! 8)
Last edited by majtom7 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I would be happy with the Moon Buggy armed with paintball guns and ammo. Let's combine the EDM and the E&E, I say!!
I'm all for it!
:D
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Conan wrote:Let's combine the EDM and the E&E, I say!!
I'm all for it! :D
Funny, I said the same thing to 'Goose' on the flight home from Corporate camp last year: it would be really interesting if they incorporated both AC and SC into an EDM. Throw in a bit of Area 51 (as a Lunar or Martian surface) and you could get some really wicked 12 or 24-hour missions.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I called today and ended up leaving a message for the Camp Director.

The first answer I received was that the extra day would mean an extra mission. However, they would not know if it was an Orion or shuttle mission until they determined equipment availability a few weeks beforehand. It all depends on the camps in session at that time. I asked about the August camp schedule (since it starts in 6 weeks) but got the same answer.

Unfortunately, there is only limited information available about camps (unlike the old days when you could look at the brochure and see what was running concurrently). Looking at today’s registration info, there looks to be a few camps running concurrently in August, nothing in October. Yet there could be corporate or other unlisted camps.

USSRC wants a commitment from you yet seems unwilling to commit in return. :roll:

More to come later, one way or another....
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

No return call today.... :(

Two thoughts occurred to me on the long commute home tonight.

First, why doesn't USSRC use standardized schedules for camp sessions? That would seem to be more cost effective instead of reinventing the schedule regularly.

Second, there is only one Space Camp session (per today's registration info) that runs the same time as the October 4 day. It ends on 10/10, the day the 4 day starts. Presumably, it is a half day in the morning, so it appears that there is nothing to schedule around in October. So there appears to be no apparent reason for being unable to get a listing of major activities (other than adjusting for lessons learned from August).

The August 4 day is somewhat different. There are three Space Camps that end on 8/8 but I'd guess that those would be half days in the morning. There are three that start on 8/10, probably half days in the afternoon. So there are no apparent conflicts for 8/9 & the morning of 8/10. Again, why no listing of major activities?

Admittedly, I have incomplete information and my assumptions could be wrong. (If they are, please say so.) Yet there appears to be no apparent reason for being unable to get a listing of major activities other than that's the way they do things. :(
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

3 August slots left, 2 for October
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I all fairness, the number of sessions and people in each one varies so much from week to week, I understand why they can't have a fixed schedule.
For example, in 2012, I went to the adult SA program. There was only two teams and nobody else there. We all used the Enterprise orbiter for the sims.
The following year (I think the same week, the following year) had several foreign kid groups running around and adult SA had 4 teams, all filled up. My team got the Atlantis orbier for our sims and never got anywhere near the 'Big E'.
So, that said, I can see why a standardized schedule probably wouldn't work in any case, especially since your session this year is a 4-day one, something that has either never been done or at least not done anytime recently.
Skidmark

Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

p51 wrote:I all fairness, the number of sessions and people in each one varies so much from week to week, I understand why they can't have a fixed schedule.
For example, in 2012, I went to the adult SA program. There was only two teams and nobody else there. We all used the Enterprise orbiter for the sims.
The following year (I think the same week, the following year) had several foreign kid groups running around and adult SA had 4 teams, all filled up. My team got the Atlantis orbier for our sims and never got anywhere near the 'Big E'.
So, that said, I can see why a standardized schedule probably wouldn't work in any case, especially since your session this year is a 4-day one, something that has either never been done or at least not done anytime recently.
Yes I agree. This four day program is new, if it comes off good, maybe we will got a shot to bring back a week long camp. :D
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

I agree to disagree. :) No one is asking for a detailed schedule, just a listing of major activities. No matter how many public and private camps are in session at one time, the USSRC has finite resources available, i.e., there are only so many hours in the day and so many simulators. There must be placeholders used to avoid overbooking. They are only going to give you so much for your money.

I am unsure how many people would be willing to commit the longer time and pay the higher price for a weeklong camp, especially without knowing what they are getting in advance.
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I am attending the August camp, and having attended so many times before I know most of the major activities that can be included, although I am hoping there are some new and different Orion-based activities so that I will have something that I haven't done before. Still, I can understand your desire to know in advance. All I can say is for those attending in October, I will put in a full report when I return from the August camp so you will have some advance knowledge.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
spacemanpic
Camper
Camper

Post by spacemanpic »

Thanks Conan. As a scheduled October Camper, I'll await your mission report with much anticipation. :D

- Justin
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

For those of you who are interested, I just got an email with the tentative schedule for the August 8 Adult 4-day camp. It looks pretty interesting. The first day Has registration, a movie (Magnificent Desolation) mission overview and mission positions. Team Photo and then the Hall of Fame Dinner. Second Day: Alpha training, alpha mission (90 min.) Low Ropes, Rocket Construction, Bravo Training, Bravo Mission (90 min.) Mission patch and then after dinner there is EDM training and EDM (3 hours). Day 3 has Space History , Lunar Mission Training, 1/6th chair, Orion Mission (2 hours) Zip Line, Finish Mission Patch, Rocket Construction, PT. 2 and Multi Axis. Day 4: Space Bowl, Rocket Launch and Graduation.
I wish that the EDM was longer but I am really looking forward to the Orion Lunar mission. I am glad that they listened and made the schedule heavy on missions too.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Sounds good so far!
Skidmark

spacemanpic
Camper
Camper

Post by spacemanpic »

Thanks Conan!

I hope they have the same schedule for the October 4-Day. I've never done an Orion mission, so that sounds great!

- J
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the update, I hope you have a great camp!!
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Thanks for sharing, Conan.