Camp Nostalgia

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

coolgal
Camper
Camper

Camp Nostalgia

Post by coolgal »

So I feel Space Camp home sick (If you can call it that) Can you guys give me some favorite camp memories? I sure do miss it there. I can't wait until next summer. :lol:
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Camp Nostalgia

Post by Hotdog »

I understand the feeling! I think I may drive down next weekend. That usually cures my space withdrawls :) Oh and free admission next saturday! http://www.smithsonianmag.com/museumday/venues/

Trying to think of a favorite Space Camp memory that I haven't already shared on here...my Hotdog exploits of landing the shuttle with no landing gear and putting out a fire in space that saved my crew and mission are legends often told 8) ...hmmm.... I remember waiting to launch our rockets while a team of Japanese or Korean kids were launching theirs during international week. One of their rockets blew up or crashed horrificly and they pointed to the sky saying "oooh, Challenger! Challenger!" That was the only English you could make out.

Here's a good old thread to read containing a collection of Camp memories:

http://habforum.hab1.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1706
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Haha, that challenger story is very morbidly hilarious. :lol:
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Dyna-Soar
Camper
Camper

Post by Dyna-Soar »

I remember one of the guys in our group thought he would be different and glue the fins on his rocket without any rhyme or reason. At the time of launch, I hid behind the barrier, knowing exactly what was going to happen. It took off slowly (the fins on the first stage were on correctly) and started to pitch over, narrowly avoiding our day trainer. At second stage ignition, it turned into a smoking, hissing ball of fury before finally coming down on a concrete pad in front of the gathered campers.

Earlier that week, I was in the shuttle sim as MS2, and I was horribly sick with a migraine. Every time a switch was thrown, it sound like someone firing a gun next to my ear. I finally called our crew trainer over, who took me to the sick bay and from there to a local doctor's office. Unfortunately, I was stuck in quarantine for the night, where I was introduced to the Sci-Fi classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

On an ISS mission I was told to be homesick, as an anomaly. Apparently my acting skills are spot on because people on my team thought I really was homesick... until I tried to open the airlock to go home. Shortly thereafter I was duct taped to the floor. Good times. :)

Or the time I had to go crazy (forget which illness they gave me - space dementia maybe) and jumped up on the flight controls and started flicking switches at random trying to make all the pretty lights light up. I asked the CDR if he was my father. I had to be tackled to the ground by the biggest guy on my team because I kept squirming and getting away. Anomalies are so much fun!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Dyna-Soar wrote: a smoking, hissing ball of fury
:lol: awesome!
SpaceCanada wrote:Or the time I had to go crazy (forget which illness they gave me - space dementia maybe) and jumped up on the flight controls and started flicking switches at random trying to make all the pretty lights light up. I asked the CDR if he was my father. I had to be tackled to the ground by the biggest guy on my team because I kept squirming and getting away. Anomalies are so much fun!
The Pilot on my Enterprise mission (Level II) came down with "Space Dementia" shortly after we reached orbit. He flipped out and we had to duct tape him to the mid-deck storage compartments and shoot him full of valium to calm him down. The valium eventually wore off and we had to stuff him into the airlock. His space dementia seemed to magically go away once it came time to prepare for the deorbit burn...
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Anomalies are so fun. I had one where I had to be afraid of the dark while at the same time they gave someone else one where they were light sensitive and couldn't have the lights on.
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015