Back from Advanced Academy!

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

coolgal
Camper
Camper

Back from Advanced Academy!

Post by coolgal »

I just got back from Advanced Space Academy and wanted to say it was wonderful! International week was a blast, and it's the most fun I've had all year. I was worried about those only 30 minutes to get ready in the morning and night but as it turns out no one really cares if you wake up early (or stay up late ;) ) I was so busy all day every day but it was so fun I didn't even mind, and those IMAX movies were great. Our rocket launch was successful and our egg didn't break. It was just so fun and eventful I can't even think of everything I want to write. I'll try to post some pictures later. :D
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Back from Advanced Academy!

Post by Hotdog »

Glad you had fun and that you've come back to Hab1 to tell about it! How were the missions? Did you fly the shuttle or Orion or both? Did you have any crazy mishaps and anomalies during your missions? Looking forward to the pictures and the stories.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Our missions were really fun! We had a bunch of anomalies, but the medical ones were the best. Our whole Orbiter and ISS crew died at one point, haha. I got to be flight director for the 3 hour mission, and I was MS3, and 2 for the 1 hour missions ( Canadarm controller and the thing with the harness and cable). I think I stayed up till 2:30 or later every night, and I still managed to stay awake during the day all while being enthusiastic and excited because there was just so much fun stuff to do. I haven't even been home for a day and I miss it so much. Oh yeah! The pamper pole and zip line were crazy! It's so weird how the zip line is 20 feet higher but the pamper pole is SO much scarier but they're both a lot of fun. I'm definitely coming back next year!
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

Sounds like a blast!! I always got Post-camp letdown too. Takes some time to re-assimilate into everyday life. And I usually dream that I am at Space Camp for weeks afterward. Looking forward to your photos and more details. Thanks for sharing.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time. This is a great place to write your random thoughts and memories form the trip. We can all relate to obscure mission anomalies, staying up late, and the eventual withdrawal symptoms upon returning home. Keep the stories coming!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

coolgal wrote:Our missions were really fun! We had a bunch of anomalies, but the medical ones were the best. Our whole Orbiter and ISS crew died at one point, haha. I got to be flight director for the 3 hour mission, and I was MS3, and 2 for the 1 hour missions ( Canadarm controller and the thing with the harness and cable). I think I stayed up till 2:30 or later every night, and I still managed to stay awake during the day all while being enthusiastic and excited because there was just so much fun stuff to do. I haven't even been home for a day and I miss it so much. Oh yeah! The pamper pole and zip line were crazy! It's so weird how the zip line is 20 feet higher but the pamper pole is SO much scarier but they're both a lot of fun. I'm definitely coming back next year!
Glad you had a great time. Now you really now know that space camp is really a blast. As time so by, you will think on the missions, headed for blasting off the rocket u made, friends you made, fun in the HAB & how in life your learned the benefits of space. Looking forward to those photo's. As you forward to next year's camp, I am looking forward to space camp again in September. Keep sending updates!! :lol:
Adult Space Academy 2012 Team Columbia
Adult Space Academy 2013 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy 2014 Team Discovery
Adult Space Academy with Astronaut 2015 Team Discovery
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Volunteer at US Space & Rocket Center
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Our team won the Commander Cup award, that was pretty cool. But the thing I really hope to get out of camp is to stay in touch with all the wonderful people I met. :D
Attachments
One of the only pictures I managed to get of myself. =]
One of the only pictures I managed to get of myself. =]
Sam by the Shuttle small version.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 7337 times
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

What is the Commander Cup award? That's a new one to me.

Camp is a great place to meet awesome like-minded people. I stayed in touch with some of my teammates for many years afterwards. Be sure to tell them about Hab1 and get them to join our community here! You may also want to join the Alumni Community if you have not done so already!

http://www.spacecamp.com/community/
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Hotdog wrote:What is the Commander Cup award? That's a new one to me.
Yes, do tell, I have also never heard of that. Sounds like a team award, right? Is this some kind of overall 'best team' thing? If so, how many other teams were there at the same time?
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

The Commander Cup award goes to the team who earned the most points during engineer challenges like rocket building, the egg shield, apple space suit, and things like that. Whichever team got the most points overall got the commander cup award. :D
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Good to know! There was an award for best overall team back in the day, but there was no points system (at least not known or told to the campers). The way I understand it the counselors or "crew trainers" would all get together like a jury and argue their cases for who had the best team until they came to some kind of agreement. So I can see the need for a more organized and scientific method of determining this award developing over the years!

Sounds like you had an awesome group. It's luck-of-the-draw getting a team of good chemistry sometimes and can be hit or miss.

I would like to know more about egg shields and apple space suits. This is new terminology to me. 8O
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

Oh, they were both really fun! The egg shield experiment we did was super cool. We got a budget we could use to get supplies like aluminum foil, steel wool, cork, copper, and things like that, and we had to make a shield so that when they held up a blow torch that went to about 1200 degrees the egg wouldn't get cooked. Our team's egg was safe at the end so we got 200 points, and if the egg was slightly burned you'd get 100 points, and if the inside was cooked at all you'd get 0 points. The apple space suit was what we did after learning about space suit physiology. We had different materials we had to use to protect an apple from a water test, a heat and radiation test, and we dropped a nail on it to see if it would be safe from "space debris."We also had to time how long it took to get on and off. Our apple space suit failed everything but the nail test and the dress and undress test, haha. :D
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Very cool! What kinds of materials exactly for the apple space suits? Interesting stuff
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
coolgal
Camper
Camper

Post by coolgal »

hmm, we could use aluminum foil of course, tarp, zip-lock bag, duct tape, foam, and rubber bands. It was a tough experiment. :D
ASA 2013
ASA 2014
ASA 2015