Are specific weeks given team names normally each year?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Are specific weeks given team names normally each year?

Post by p51 »

I was wondering, do the team names normally run the same for any given week? For example, I was on week 50, and the names for the adult camps were Challenger and Columbia (not so great picks, both named for shuttles that met tragic ends). Would week 50 in any given year have the same name ranges? Or would, say, week 50 the year before or after have any random name associated with it?
Just wondering... If you knew what names your team might have in a given week you knew you were going, you could plan ahead for that in any manner you'd see fit...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Are specific weeks given team names normally each year?

Post by Hotdog »

This is a really good question. I think the counselors pick the names, and I don't think there's much of a system or schedule as far as rotations go (if there is any kind of rotation at all). If this is the case, then there's probably no way of finding out what your team name would be, short of somehow finding out who your counselor was going to be and speaking to him/her directly. So if it is possible, it might be difficult, and there still may not be a guarantee the name or counselor assignment would be the same once you got there. I could be totally wrong though. Street or Boomerang would be more equipped to answer this.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Actually each program has specific names that are used. Which names are used depends greatly on how manyv teams are are in a given program that week. When i worked there you were assigned a team name when you got your schedule for that week. Camp has certaion names i cant remember what they are though so does academy, Advanced Academy uses names of people connected to the space program like Von Braun Gagarin, Von-T etc. Aviation Challenge names are Mach 1 use Worled war 2 aircraft names like Mustang, Mach 2 uses modern aircraft names like Falcon and hornet, and Mach 3 uses sqwuadron names from typically FA-18 squadrons all of the ones i have seen were originally F-14 squadrons that now fly the hornet. As for adult programs i'm not sure but the 2 adult programs i did were team Columbia and have seen Challenger used as well. So each program has a list of team names i think they go down the list and use as many of the names as are needed for a given program that week Counselors do not chose the names however.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Interesting. I would have assumed these names were set in place already.
So someone calling SC a few days before they show up probably couldn't get the name of their team before they show up, I assume?
Skidmark

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well the list of names is established and they have a certain order in which they are used like my lkast week working their I had a Mach 2 team first name on the list was Falcons so we were the Falcons. If their had been a second team i believe it would have been the hornets. etc etc etc. The teams are assigned id say atleast a week in advance maybe more but i remember making up name tags for the next week when they used name tags instead of wrist bands and the team name was already on the back of the name tags. How far out a person is assigned to a team records wise i'm not sure. Street could probably answer that one. But as to which team names get used they go down the list of available team names in order and use however many are needed.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I miss the corporate sponsor team name days ;)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

It was pretty cool having your team name on the back of your shirt back in those days. A rival team you didn't like could be easily spotted :twisted:
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

For those interested in a historical perspective, when I went to camp as a kid (late 80's, early 90's) the naming conventions were as follows:
Camp (elementary school) - Planets
Level I (middle school) - Corporate sponsors - Rockwell, Teledyne Brown, Lockheed, etc. I was on Rockwell
Level II (high school) - Corporate Sponsors NASA facilities - I was on Lockheed. I believe Level I had shifted to NASA facilities - Johnson, Marshall, Kennedy, might have been a Dryden

When I went back from Adult ASA we were NASA facilities - I was on Marshall

And the Be Ready (disaster prepardness and response) teams which at camp the week I was in adult ASA were named after dinosaurs. The idea being that the kids were learning to Be Ready...because the dinosaurs weren't and look what happened to them.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

In 1998, 1999, and 2004, the Advanced Space Academy teams (youth and adult) were named after important people in the space programme: von Braun, Armstrong, Shepherd, Gagarin, etc.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

There is a set list of names for teams, according to the program. The camp teams were named for astronauts, but that was changed this year. Camp teams are now named for Apollo capsules and lunar landers. Academy are named for moons of planets. Advanced Academy are named for noted rocket scientists. Adult Academy are named for shuttles.
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

street wrote:There is a set list of names for teams, according to the program. The camp teams were named for astronauts, but that was changed this year. Camp teams are now named for Apollo capsules and lunar landers. Academy are named for moons of planets. Advanced Academy are named for noted rocket scientists. Adult Academy are named for shuttles.
Thanks for the info, been wondering this for a while now...
Skidmark

street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

Richasi wrote:I miss the corporate sponsor team name days ;)
You should be happy this summer. :wink:
Living the dream