Changing names on the shuttle simulators?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Changing names on the shuttle simulators?

Post by p51 »

I read somewhere recently that the full shuttle simuator which is currently named Enterprise wasn't always named that. And the nose section that the public sees facing outward wasn't always named for the Endeavour, either. Anyone know why this was done, what they used to be called and how many times they've swapped these names?
Wouldn't been so neat to have the full trainer named after the Atlantis as that's the orbiter they used in the 1980s film...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Re: Changing names on the shuttle simulators?

Post by Boomerang »

Enterprise i'm not really sure about. I have seen a camp brochure from 88 that shows it with no name at all on the side. Considering parts of it were used namely the cargo bay from what i understand in the space camp movie which was filmed in 85 it could have been intended to be Challenger but this is pure speculation on my part.

As for Endeavour that is entirely true. The current simulator named Endeavour was originally Intrepid. When it was first placed on the training center floor there was already a Columbia, Atlantis, Discovery, Endeavour and Enterprise. They named the new simulator whci eventually replaced the old seriously outdated Columbia sumulator Intrepid named for the Apollo 12 command module. Columbia was dismantled a few months before the real one was lost on reentry. Not sure if Intrepifd would have taken that name if the accident did not happen but needless to say there was never another Columbia Sim. The original Endeavour was a motion based cockpit similar to Discovery except it had a small mid deck area which was actually located behind the flight deck. At one point it was removed from the training center and put in storage and Intrepid was renamed Endeavour. Then a few years ago they brought back the old Endeavour and the newer sim became Intrepid again. In preparation for the new lunar missions the old Endeavour was turned into an exploration vehicle simulator though i have no idea if it has seen any use and Intrepid once again became Endeavour the name it currently has. Hopefully that clears it up.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Oh i just realised you posted something about the movie as well. Actually the space camp simulator Atlantis that is currently on the training center floor was used for the movie filming atleast the interior parts. I have heard the Enterprise cargo bay was used for the exterior shots
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Boomerang wrote:Enterprise i'm not really sure about. I have seen a camp brochure from 88 that shows it with no name at all on the side.
I have vague memories of the current Enterprise being "named" with a three digit number. I want to say 147 but I don't think that's right. I'll have to see if I can dig up pictures. I also remember it being named, I think, Discovery at one point. This would have all been in the late 1980's-early 1990's.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I doubt enterprise was ever named Discovery mainly since it was not used till the late 80s probably 87 when the new training center opened. The 88 brochure has the training center picture with Enterprise with no name and the 89 and the current discovery was nowhere to be seen but by the 89 brochure the current discovery is clearly in place. And i know for a fact in 1991 Enterprise was already Enterprise because i remember beiong a camp aged kid seeing it and thinking i want to pilot that one day and thinking Enterprise was a cool name with the Star trek connection.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

I've seen some shots with "105" on the side of the shuttle, but I'm not sure if this was on the side of Enterprise or not.
(I'll have to look in my photo archive to be sure, I'll get back to you).

OV-105, of course, became Endeavour and as Boomerang mentioned, a sim with that name later made an appearance.

Atlantis, Columbia and Discovery always seemed to have names on them to me, but there are plenty of shots I see from older application guides and post cards that do not have any name on the side of "Enterprise".
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Conan »

I first attended Adult Space Academy in the fall of 1988 and our missions all took place in Discovery, which was called Discovery at that time. I have photos from that year that I sent to Vince and should be in the gallery here.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Richasi »

Hey! Just wanted to add that I located the photo I took and "Enterprise" does have "105" where the Shuttle's name should be. Sitting in front is Columbia with its old payload bay opened up behind it. It was taken in summer 1988. I can try and scan it if you're interested in seeing it. Otherwise, there's nothing remarkable about the photo =)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger