Kennedy Tours of the Launch Complex

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

airkale
Camper
Camper

Kennedy Tours of the Launch Complex

Post by airkale »

Hey guys,

I don't know if you are aware of this, but they are offering tours of the launch pad up close at Kennedy. See the caption below:

"For the first time in 50 years, NASA is opening its gates to public visitors to tour the main launch pad. The new KSC Up-Close: Launch Pad Tour, the latest to open of the three special behind-the-scenes tours, takes visitors from Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex to the inside of Launch Pad 39-A, the location of space shuttle and Apollo Saturn V moon rocket launches.

The tour travels nearly a quarter-mile within the perimeter security fence of Launch Pad 39-A. Visitors can enjoy close views of the 350-foot-high fixed service structure, rotating service structure, propellant storage containers, water tanks, flame trench and other aspects of the launch pad complex. The highlight of the tour is the photo opportunity during the stop at the pad. The tour also includes drive-by views of Launch Pad 39-B, the Vehicle Assembly Building, mobile launch platforms and culminates at the Apollo/Saturn V Center.

This tour is offered for a limited time only! "

Man I am thinking I am going to have to make another trip to KSC soon. I am going to be out of money, now that I need to go see the Marshall Tour and the new KSC tour.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Richasi
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Kennedy Tours of the Launch Complex

Post by Richasi »

airkale wrote:Hey guys,

I don't know if you are aware of this, but they are offering tours of the launch pad up close at Kennedy. See the caption below:
There's three "new" tours now...

VAB Tour, Launch Pad Tour and Launch Firing Room Tour - each leaving around the same time of day so you can't do more than one a day.

I've done the VAB tour and highly recommend it. Will try and get back down to do the Firing Room and Launch Pad tours but don't know when.

I also highly recommend the Cape Canaveral: Then and Now tour if you're interested in the good old days =)
Space Camp • June 11-16, 1989 - Session 31 - Martin Marietta
Space Academy, Level 1 • June 16-21, 1991 - Session 24 - BDM
Adult Space Academy • September 26-28, 2003 - Session 52 - Discovery
Alumni Camp • June 14-17, 2007 - Session 38 - Challenger
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Those all sound pretty good. The last time I went was near launch time so I didn't get to go on any of the extra tours. I really am thinking about making a trip in August.

Kale
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.