A Smile as Big as the Moon

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

A Smile as Big as the Moon

Post by SpaceCanada »

I am surprised that this hasn't been a hot topic lately. I am very excited for this film to air on television this weekend. My parents already have it programmed into their PVR so I can watch it later. (No cable at my house.)

The book is excellent and I hope the movie will reflect that; I am certain it will. if anyone is going to the premiere or has links to reviews or whatever please post them here for all to see. (Vincent already has some links on the Hab1.com homepage.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I'll be working the Huntsville premiere Friday night. I've already viewed the film (to be prepared for parents calling in with questions) and must say we look pretty in it! The production company worked hard making the props and setting look 1980ish, but one scene does prominently feature the exterior of the Davidson Center. We are looking forward to more special needs folks looking to us for a great experience, inspired by the film.
Living the dream
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Are tickets still available? I went to the store link http://www.spacecamp.com/store/A-Smile- ... tml?page=1 and the page is no longer there. Help!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

LA event was a great - there were so many people there that several people didn't get to see the movie due to lack of seats.

Movie itself is really great. Great cast and production. You can tell this wasn't some low-end production. I think Space Camp alumni will be proud of it.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hotdog wrote:Are tickets still available? Help!
Check the Hab1 home page - Vincent has listed other options for obtaining tickets!
- Jennifer -
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Thanks guys...My girlfriend and I made it down to the premiere and it was awesome! Definately worth the time and expense. The movie is great, we were really impressed.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I watched the movie last night and enjoyed it. After the initial "we don't have any programs for kids like yours", Space Camp did come off looking great. Overall, it was a good movie, inspiring for all and fun for us camp alumni.

There were a couple of things that I noticed that made me smile:
- The UAT subbing in for the UAH pool
- The old style wings the campers were wearing at the end. Which are correct for the time. But, interestingly, the first kid off the bus ("tattle tale" girl with the dark hair and big glasses) had camp wing (with red on the badge in the center) instead of academy wings (blue badge) like everyone else. Were there not old school academy wings around so some of the actors ended up wearing camp wings?
- The Right Stuff award was the newer style metal instead of the older style (and time period correct, I believe) acrylic.
- The kids bunked in Hab2 rather than Hab1. Not sure which Hab the group actually stayed in. Going through the Academy Level 1 (junior high) program, they should have stayed in Hab1. But I wouldn't be surprised if special arrangements were made which allowed the kids to stay more together in the bays in Hab2.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
airkale
Camper
Camper

Post by airkale »

Yes I agree, the movie was very well done. My girldfriend even enjoyed it, despite her lack of enthusiasm for anything at the space and rocket center. The film was a great ballance of the story of special ed kids as well as space camp programs. Neither point took side stage.

Obviously, there were a whole bunch of details that didn't match up in the movie compared with should have been. Afterall, so much has changed at the center from 1988. But only those way too familure with the place would have probably noticed!

Watching last night had me thinking about Space Canada's trip that she is trying to organize. Hope that works out!
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

gt0163c wrote:- The kids bunked in Hab2 rather than Hab1. Not sure which Hab the group actually stayed in.
Those quarters were pretty spiffy, weren't they? I hope parents don't expect their childrens hab rooms to look like those! That set was actually built in the bottom of Hab I.
Living the dream
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

street wrote:
gt0163c wrote:- The kids bunked in Hab2 rather than Hab1. Not sure which Hab the group actually stayed in.
Those quarters were pretty spiffy, weren't they? I hope parents don't expect their childrens hab rooms to look like those! That set was actually built in the bottom of Hab I.
Ahh...having never been in a Hab2 bay, I just assumed that's what they looked like. Spiffed up some, but similar. But, now that I think about it, they did look a little too nice. Plus, I would assume Hab2 has bunk beds rather than all singles.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

gt0163c wrote:Plus, I would assume Hab2 has bunk beds rather than all singles.
Yes, they have bunk beds. They also have huge washrooms compared to the ones in Hab1.
- Jennifer -
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I wonder why they built a special set. Why not just use one of the existing Hab II sleep bays?
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Hotdog wrote:I wonder why they built a special set. Why not just use one of the existing Hab II sleep bays?
I'm guessing it would have been difficult to get all of the required equipment, get the lighting right and have room for the cameras and the actors in those small rooms. Most movie and tv sets have walls that move (if they even have more than two walls) and no ceiling in order to accomodate all of the equipment and get the angles for the shots that the director wants.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I agree it was most likely filmed on a specialy built set to accomodate film equipment. Tha hab 2 bays are fairly large but they are packed with beds and lockers. I remember them being huge when i was a camper but when i went in one in 2007 when i worked their i was amazed how diffrent perception as a kid was from reality.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

gt0163c wrote:I'm guessing it would have been difficult to get all of the required equipment, get the lighting right and have room for the cameras and the actors in those small rooms. Most movie and tv sets have walls that move (if they even have more than two walls) and no ceiling in order to accomodate all of the equipment and get the angles for the shots that the director wants.
Exactly. Most of the Hab II bays would be very difficult to film in with the permanent walls that run through the middle of the rooms. Lighting would also be difficult, due to the low ceilings. Hab I rooms would be impossible! I've been in a couple of films shot in interiors and the rooms used always were enormous (a church sanctuary for one and an old barn for another).
Living the dream
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I couldn't get over the more modern royal blue flightsuits instead of the period-correct LES light blue suits.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

By the way, the set pieces used for the Hab room in the film have been repurposed. They are now part of the registration area in Hab I. It looks spiffy!
Living the dream
Jay Chladek
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Jay Chladek »

If you guys thought the movie was good, pick up a copy of the book. I read it cover to cover after the film (I couldn't put it down) and all things considered, the movie actually stuck close to the book (one of the better translations I had seen of book to film). Reason I read the book AFTER the film is I didn't want to bias myself and spend half the film saying "that wasn't in the book" or some other nonsense.

Besides, when you read about the challenges Mike and Robyn went through in real life to do this, you gain a BIGGER appreciation for the kind of teachers they are. This was back in the late 1980s and navigating the minefield of school administrators to educate special needs kids I imagine was challenge enough. Today with the nuttier politics involved and the additional distractions to a kid's attention span (let alone one with development issues), I can only believe things would be MUCH more difficult to do if somebody tried it today.
1985 Level II, Class 5 (Spring), Challenger Group
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: A Smile as Big as the Moon

Post by SpaceCanada »

I have more praise for the film. I leant TV recorded copy to a special education teacher who brings his class to where I work each week. (They do work experience here.) He is showing it to his coworker and then to the entire class. He really likes it and is going to share it with other teachers after that. (I told him he could keep the DVD - I have a real copy now.) *thumbs up*
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re:

Post by p51 »

street wrote:By the way, the set pieces used for the Hab room in the film have been repurposed. They are now part of the registration area in Hab I. It looks spiffy!
What parts would that be? I was there for the first time after they made the film so I wouldn't have known any difference.
There was a display of costumes right in front of the Enterprise Mission Control when I was there in September:
I noticed right away that the trainer shirts aren't correct for that timeframe, as they used the currently worn one.
The store at SC currently sells copies of the burger shed t-shirts, too: http://www.spacecampstore.com/Big-Dan's ... 404GRN4AL/
When I was there, myself and several people from my team saw these and nobody recalled the reference. After a minute, I realized what this meant and everyone then had a "oh yeah," moment...
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!