Adult Week 2013?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Phil Reeder from the UK wrote me not long ago, looking for adults to commit to a 8-day camp either this year or 2013. I’ll send him the link to this thread as he might not know about it. I don’t think I can commit to something that long of with that kind of cost, but maybe that’ll change after I go for the first time in September.
Here’s his blog from his first time, I found it to be decent reading: http://www.ninfinger.org/models/PhilsSp ... ayTwo.html
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
rkolker
Camper
Camper

If we want to do this...

Post by rkolker »

...and 2013 would be the possible date for me, we should work above the base level of management. Is Mike Flashbart still there? Does anyone have an email address for Deb Barnhart? When I reestablished week long adult programs in 1990 (arrgh!) they're who I worked with, and they're in a position to go outside the box for the right group.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Adult Week 2013?

Post by Steve »

I will plan to come to come. Sounds Great!

SpaceCanada wrote:Okay, so we know week-long camps ave been removed for the year. Bummer. But, what if we got a group together and booked an ASA group camp for a week in 2013? I have five people who would be interested - one is still a minor, but that shouldn't matter if it's a private group booking, right?

It's just an idea right now. Would anyone else be interested? I could probably round up 6-8 people I know, maybe more, and there's a minimum of 12, so we'd need a few extra people to join us. What do you think?

(2012 won't work for me... long story involving a surprise trip to Finland and rescheduling an important family trip to 2012... thus chewing up my vacation time next year.)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I am sorry to report that this trip has been put on hold. I was laid off from my job last week and do not know what sort of job I will have next and if I will have money and/or time off. I will still call sometime this summer to get details and potentially set it up a date. Just thought I would put this out there, in case anyone is looking for an update. I'll get on it, but no promises. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Too bad Space Camp is so far away. I would love to be a counsellor this year now that I have the time off. Drat. (And I missed the job posting date for the local science centre camp instructor jobs too.)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:I am sorry to report that this trip has been put on hold. I was laid off from my job last week and do not know what sort of job I will have next and if I will have money and/or time off. I will still call sometime this summer to get details and potentially set it up a date. Just thought I would put this out there, in case anyone is looking for an update. I'll get on it, but no promises. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!
Bummer about the job. I hope that situation gets fixed quickly.

Thanks for continuing to keep up with this. I'm definitely interested (I've had my own changes in my life recently and one result is a bit more freed up vacation time). And, if you're not able to continue with the organization of this, I may be able to take over. Let me know.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I'm still crossing my fingers that I get a job sometime over the summer, and that it will let me continue with these plans. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. So far, I'm going forward as if everything will work itself out. :) Thanks for the support, GT; I'll keep your offer in mind - we could even do the planning together.
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I rang the USSRC this afternoon and left a message with someone who is in charge of private group camps and what not. Fingers crossed that we hear back from her. I will post all the details as I get them.

As for the job search... still nothing... I may go back to school for a bit, however daunting that may be. On the bright side, I do have an unofficial summer job and intend on saving every dollar I make from it for this camp.
- Jennifer -
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:I rang the USSRC this afternoon and left a message with someone who is in charge of private group camps and what not. Fingers crossed that we hear back from her. I will post all the details as I get them.

As for the job search... still nothing... I may go back to school for a bit, however daunting that may be. On the bright side, I do have an unofficial summer job and intend on saving every dollar I make from it for this camp.
Thanks for keeping up with this. I hope we're able to make it work out and that you're able to join us. Best of luck on the job front and possibility of going back to school.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I'm scheduled for the 3-day adult camp in less than a month. If things go like I hope, I have a feeling I'll be pushing to return the following year. If they have a week-long camp by then, I might just push the wife to go (I can always co,bine it with several days with my parents in Florida). My only problem is I'm committed to display my WW2 Jeep and collection at a large military vehicle preservation event in Oregon that July, so getting off any other time around then will be a completely impossibility. My job has pretty much made it a permanent thing that you can't get time off at all unless you ask months in advance...
Skidmark

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I heard back from Space Camp - FINALLY!! I emailed Chairty from the Facebook site and she hooked me up. So we're in!

Here is what I am requesting:
6 or 8 days
programming similar to the 8-day adult alumni camps (24-hour mission, mission planning, Mach III sims, Area 51, MSFC tour if possible)
seeing if there is any way Canadians can get on the MSFC tour (will US government-issued NEXUS cards qualify?)
dates for September-October 2013 (during their off-season)
cost estimates (for 8-16 people)

Anything else?
- Jennifer -
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Today is our lucky day... I also got a call from USSRC just now and have someone who will put together a custom program for us with a combination of ASA and MACH III missions, a 24-hour shuttle mission, a lunar mission, ropes course, etc. I'll post it all here when I hear back.

Apparently the old 8-day alumni group I went to camp with is doing something similar this year. I tried to get in touch with them but couldn't... so it's possible we will have similar programming.

Any week in September or October works, although the lake closes in early September and the zipline will be closed if we choose a later week.

So that's that. Pretty exciting day. I'll keep you posted!
- Jennifer -
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

That 8-day group, is that Phil Reeder's bunch? Just curious as he tried to get me into a long program but I couldn't commit to it this year.
I like the idea of a split program very much. The full-day mission is something I really wanted to do as well. Mid to late September would be best for me if I can commit. Any idea when we'd have to give a yay-nay to this?
Skidmark

Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

SpaceCanada wrote:Today is our lucky day... I also got a call from USSRC just now and have someone who will put together a custom program for us with a combination of ASA and MACH III missions, a 24-hour shuttle mission, a lunar mission, ropes course, etc. I'll post it all here when I hear back.

Apparently the old 8-day alumni group I went to camp with is doing something similar this year. I tried to get in touch with them but couldn't... so it's possible we will have similar programming.

Any week in September or October works, although the lake closes in early September and the zipline will be closed if we choose a later week.

Please keeps us informed. I will there next week, maybe I could touch base with someone there. Thanks
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

That is great news, Jennifer! Looking forward to getting more details. Do you think they can provide us with a day-to-day breakdown of activities?

I would lean more towards an October timeframe, just so it's not so hot! I'd like to be able to wear my flightsuit.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

End of September - Early October is our best time to go and it is also our anniversary so I have a better chance of keeping this a secret from my husband. I found another alumni who wants to go too; the more the merrier!

Once I get the program outline from Space Camp I will be sure to post it here for comments and revisions. I'll keep you all up to date as much as possible. :)
- Jennifer -
Steve
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Steve »

SpaceCanada wrote:End of September - Early October is our best time to go and it is also our anniversary so I have a better chance of keeping this a secret from my husband. I found another alumni who wants to go too; the more the merrier!

Once I get the program outline from Space Camp I will be sure to post it here for comments and revisions. I'll keep you all up to date as much as possible. :)
Thanks Jennifer, looking forward to hear the news.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I too would probably do better with a late September to October timeframe if going for a week-long camp at all. I’m not saying I can commit to it right now, but if I can commit at all for any timeframe, around then would be best for me. It’d be much easier to get time off from work and it doesn’t conflict with anything personally.
Skidmark

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:Today is our lucky day... I also got a call from USSRC just now and have someone who will put together a custom program for us with a combination of ASA and MACH III missions, a 24-hour shuttle mission, a lunar mission, ropes course, etc. I'll post it all here when I hear back.

Woo-hoo! That's great news.
Right now I don't have anything on my calendar for the fall of 2013. There's one weekend in mid-October that I have been doing family stuff on the past few years but that's not set in stone and that can almost certainly move a few weeks in one direction with enough notice (like more than two months). So, please let us know when you know more details, costs, possible dates.
Woo-hoo!
And thanks again for keeping up with this.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

Does anyone know what the cost would be for the 8-day? And whether we 2012 alumni would get a discount for this type of booking like we apparently would others?
Lin
Camper
Camper

Post by Lin »

BTW, for me the 6-day would be awesome. I think an 8-day might kill me!