"Adults Behaving Like Children At Space Camp"

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Adults Behaving Like Children At Space Camp"

Post by Vincent »

...that was how NASA Watch put it.

There's a public board meeting today at 3:30pm at the USSRC (go to the security entrance if you'd like to attend).

More to the story.

I'll update later on the front page.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I vote Vincent for CEO!

It would be nice to have an Alumni heading up the mothership.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If Vincent isn't nominated, I would second his his recommendation of Hoot Gibson.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the USSRC after February. Will there be a dramatic change or will the general public never know the difference? Time will tell.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mdanner423
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Mdanner423 »

Interesting! Vincent, is the Space Camp India the same as the Space Camp Dubai deal or different company? What ever happened to the Dubai camp? Seemed to disappear?
-Matthew
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Mdanner423 wrote:Interesting! Vincent, is the Space Camp India the same as the Space Camp Dubai deal or different company? What ever happened to the Dubai camp? Seemed to disappear?
According to their website, Space Camps in India, Egypt (North Africa), and UAE are under the same group, Space Investment Company. Their website hasn't been updated recently. Anyone have updates?
- Jennifer -
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Update from Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission Executive Session on 07DEC2010

These are from my personal notes and not the official minutes.

The Alabama Space Science Exhibit Commission (ASSEC) aka U.S. Space & Rocket Center is currently at $5.7 million into their credit line. That includes the last payroll and outstanding checks the ASSEC/USSRC have issued that have not been cashed yet.

It was reported to the ASSEC that large check reported to be around $2 million has arrived from the Space Camp India project (Space Investments, Inc/LLC) but has not been processed yet.

The search committee for the new CEO has been running ads in the Huntsville Times and Birmingham News. They have had 65 applications and have been working on interviews. So far they report finding 6 real potential candidates at this point. The 6 candidates that meet the upper qualifications have not come from newspaper ads. 2 people who were interviewed traveled on their own money to be interviewed.

The ASSEC Executive Committee then had a motion to authorize reimbursement of travel expenses for qualified candidates. The motion was seconded and passed.

The next Exectutive Committee meeting will be held at 0900 @ USSRC Boardroom on 10DEC2010.

Side note not discussed at the meeting -

Heard a rumor and have now verified via multiple articles on the web from India that the Space World India aka Space Camp India project has a major hold in place. The lead development company HCC and Lavasa Corp have been hit with an order to stop construction due to an environmental issue and are also being investigated in a bribery scandal. Space Investment (the company that purchased the Space Camp India license) has partnered with Lavasa and HCC to be a part of their project which is where their Space Camp facility will be located.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/mar ... 065602.cms

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/mar ... 065602.cms
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Thank you Wes for the update! Keep us posted.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Yes, thank you for the updates, including the one regarding Space Camp India. (Although the financial lingo in the link is all gibberish to me.) I knew something wasn't right there, due to the lack of updates we've seen so far. Here's hoping the project will overcome this hurdle and open soon.

Also, here's hoping the USSRC can turn itself around and get out of deficit. It looks like the new CEO will have a lot of weight on their shoulders right from the start.
- Jennifer -
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Update from ASSEC Executive Committee meeting on 10DEC2010 @ 0900

Minutes from previous meeting this week are approved.

Search Committee reports that over the course of two days they interviewed 4 very serious candidates and also obtained waivers to do background on each candidate. The committee is expected to turn those names over to the Executive Committee chair including the name of one candidate that appears to be front-runner. Name was not released.

The ASSEC lawyers have also pointed out that the documentation/law that created the ASSEC only allows for an Executive Director to be hired not a CEO. The lawyers are busy working up a draft employment agreement to be used when the new Executive Director is found.

** Personal Side note - I believe that after the Mike Wing scandal the auditors also pointed this out as well - I also believe they pointed out that the ASSEC shouldn't be using contracts to hire for this position as well.**

It was reported that the check from Space Camp India was supposed to arrive today. The Executive Committee chair and Finance Committee chair were planning a teleconference with Larry Capps to discuss later in the afternoon.

There was a brief discussion to remind the chairs of other committees about the proper protocol about scheduling meetings and keeping notes in order to comply with Alabama Open Meetings Act and Open Records Act.

Next meeting is Tuesday 14DEC2010 @ 1530

Other side notes -

I was told late Thursday that an e-mail had been sent to all full-time employees by HR to tell them that the longevity pay that they normally get around this time of the year may or may not be on the next paycheck due to the cash flow situation and that this pay was not required by the State of Alabama.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

According to the Huntsville Times, ASSEC unanimously approved Dr. Deborah Edwards Barnhart this morning.

Space center turns to former space camp leader as new director
Ad astra per aspera.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

That's great news! She was around back-in-the-day when I was a camper, I do believe her signature is on my original Camp and Academy diplomas!
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

The Executive Committee has referred her and a draft contract to the full board who meets on Tuesday. I was told today at the meeting that she should be there.

I think she is a really good choice based off her resume.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Yeah, I can't help but hope that....this is someone that remembers the real, arguably golden age of Camp...And she was there at the beginning.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I second that comment, Vincent! Whilst I (sadly) haven't been to Space Camp since 2008, it certainly seems like a certain essence of the programme is being lost, and it needs to come back to thrive again. I hope Dr. barnhart will do just that.
- Jennifer -
WesL
Camper
Camper

Post by WesL »

Sounds like Dr. Barnhart has had a good day...

Press release just sent out -
http://sprocketeers.org/wp-content/uplo ... st-day.pdf
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Welcome Back Deb

Post by rkolker »

They couldn't have picked anyone better. Deb Barnhart was the person who said yes to advanced adult camps, to 10 day adult camps, and to reestablishing extended adult camps (8 day) after they had lapsed. I worked with her as we prototyped the reestablished advanced adult program in 1990, when she turned us over to Mike Flachbart. 20 years later Flash is still there, and now Deb is back.

There is nobody better to take Space Camp and the Center forward into the 21st Century.

++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Update:

Dr. B (as they are calling her) has arrived and is receiving an onverview and introduction to Centre operations as they are today:
http://www.spacecamp.com/news/node/1927
- Jennifer -