Star Wars Exhibit

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Star Wars Exhibit

Post by SpaceCanada »

Thanks for the insider report, Vincent. I have a friend who regularly dresses up as a storm Trooper as part of a service group. Just don't go out in public with the replica gun... a concerned member of the public called the police on him once. Oops. The police thought it was amusing, actually.

In my opinion, bringing these types of exhibits to science centres is a good thing. Sure, the science isn't always there and it isn't always jumping out at people like an F-1 engine, but it's still science. Not everyone is interested in hard core science like most of us. If something like Star Wars can bring people in, teach them a little about the sci-fi ties to real science, give them the chance to see even more real science at the existing museum, and give the USSRC some business, go for it.

Our local science centre brings in fun echibits every few months. They are usually more science-y, like Body Worlds (very interesting) or the Science of the Olympics (lots of fun, especially wheelchair basketball), but the LEGO exhibits are always a HUGE hit and they hardly mention science at all. They draw people to the science centre, and give locals a reason to visit the science centre again to see something new. (At least here, our small sceince centre doesn't change much and seeing the same four exhibits over and over gets dull after the third visit. We don't have fancy rockets.)

If anyone visits the exhibit, I'm interested to hear what you thought of it.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017