Curious...Was first Space Academy Level II in 1987 or 1988?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

technopriest
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Curious...Was first Space Academy Level II in 1987 or 1988?

Post by technopriest »

I keep reading everywhere that Space Academy Level II started in Fall of 1987. I attended the first session in March of 1988 and was told we were the first group to go through. I cannot find any info to confirm the Fall 87 start time other than a throwoff line in Wikipedia. Thanks to all the wonderful resources here I found the 88 Brochure that shows SA Level II starting in March... Just curious if we were the first group for SA Level II or not. We did get a note in our binders saying sorry we didn't get this finished... Any info would be appreciated. I keep in contact with a number of my fellow grads. It was 10 of the best days of my life and still reverberates in my life to this day.

I am so glad to have found this forum... now I don't have to create my own!
Peace,
Fr. Bill Kessler
Space Academy Level 2 March 1988
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

No...the first SA Level II was in August 1987. I was in the second week of that. Atlantis was the orbiter, Freedom was the Space Station and the TCF was brand new. Enterprise was all white.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
rkolker
Camper
Camper

Space Academy 2

Post by rkolker »

The Enterprise Team prototyped Adult Level II in 1987. Here is the team patch: Image.

We helped put together the program, trained from NASA 2102 training documents, included a 24 hour extended duration sim and burned out both ourselves and our councilors, but it was an unforgettable experience. Mike Flachbart had been in charge of Level II (or was it Adult programs?) for just a few days when we arrived. There is some video, and I have in storage our training documents and flight plans.
++rich
Enterprise Team - Founded 1985