Space Camp in the News

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Space Camp in the News

Post by Benji »

I'm currently on my usual post-Camp withdrawal, during which I seek out and soak up as much Camp-related material as possible. Here are some of the recent stories I've found:

As a family vacation, NASA's Space Camp is out there [LA Times]
Space Camp, what better way to celebrate a birthday [Hudson Star-Observer]
Octorara science teacher brims with ideas after 'Space Camp' [Intelligencer Journal] (with best Station photo I've ever seen)
Flying high at Space Camp [Island Packet]
Local teachers go to Space Camp [Your4State] (with reporting quality about what you'd expect from a website with such a name)
One tank getaway: U.S. Space & Rocket Center [NBC13] (with quotes from kids that must've been on Jeramy's team a few weeks ago)
Science teacher over the moon at Space Camp [Sioux City Journal]
Teacher wins Space Camp scholarship for student [Milford Daily News]
Spaceflight fantasy camp [Philly.com] (A rare AC story)
Kelly Anne Kroeger from Wilson School in Westfield participates in Honeywell Educators Program at Space Academy [Alternative Press] (what a headline!)

Most of the stories are about educators, since they recently finished their camp. It was cool to learn that the Right Stuff winner also gets a scholarship for a student.

I get a kick out of some of the stuff that gets reported incorrectly, such as refering to the MAT as "the gyroscope" or reporting that participants tried their hand at "extracting iron" ('Alright everybody, now we're going to head on over to the blast furnace...'). But it is fun to relive Camp from the perspective of an outsider, such as with the LA Times story which refered to the linens as "10-thread-count sheets"… and probably wasn't too far off.
Ad astra per aspera.
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

"10-thread-count sheets"… and probably wasn't too far off.
I'm not sure they are that high a thread count.

We had a mother this week complain about the 'quality of the linens' and marched off to the mall for nice sheets for her daughter.

It's a camp, people. The camp I attended as a child didn't even provide sheets! :roll:
Living the dream
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Hey at least they're warm enough to where you won't freeze in the hab. Although my room this year was strikingly similar to a convection oven for two days.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

A neat story about a Russian 'space camp'… perhaps the start of a "Space Camp Race"?
Space camp gives schoolkids a taste of the cosmos
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Benji wrote:A neat story about a Russian 'space camp'… perhaps the start of a "Space Camp Race"?
Wow!! They got to play with real cosmonaut training equipment in Sar City - how awesome is that?!?! I wish I were one of those Russian school kids. Lucky them!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That last article is interesting to me. Recently i purchased several old issues of Space Camp News from the late 80's 1987-1989 i hope to scan them at somepoint but havent had the time. Well anyway one had an article where Ed Buckbee who was the director of the space and rockent center and space camp at the time had visited the Soviet Union's version of space camp which sounds like what this is. At the time he was talking about trying to set up an exchange program of both campers and counselors. As far as i know this never happened but it would have been interesting. Glad to hear they still do this camp in Russia.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

The real equipment is pretty cool. The station mock-up sounds like the disorientating Mir model that used to be at the USSRC. I think it's on loan to the Clinton library or something.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Neat story with an awesome picture of the Saturn V replica: AFSPC Reaches out to Space Camp Youth
Ad astra per aspera.