Star Wars at USSRC

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Star Wars at USSRC

Post by Benji »

Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination is a temporary exhibit coming to the USSRC in a year. It was developed by the Museum of Science, Boston, which has a reputation for creating educational, high-quality, and engaging programs and this is no exception; I volunteered at this exhibit when it premiered in Boston and it was pretty awesome.

From the press release:
It will fill the Center’s original museum building with costumes, models and props from all six movies in the Star Wars saga, along with many interactive exhibits, hands-on displays and laboratories -- where guests can conduct their own scientific experiments on magnetic levitation and experience augmented virtual reality. Even a replica of the Millennium Falcon cockpit will be a part of the exhibit, where guests can experience a multimedia presentation about making the jump to lightspeed!
I hope they still have the interpretation carts (I'm not sure if they're a part of the exhibit or an extra the musuem created for themselves), but they were really neat. We had a little ion engine, a prosthetic arm visitors could 'try', and a magnetism station with diamagnetic material (and liquid nitrogen :twisted:). In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing this neat exhibit again.
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

There is no mention of how long the exhibit will be open. Will it still be there for the adult 8-day camp in early October?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
alumniandi
Counselor
Counselor

Star Wars Dates

Post by alumniandi »

The dates for the Star Wars exhibit will be 06/25/2010 through 09/06/2010. There is a cool countdown clock on the Space Camp website too!
Alumni Andi

"We choose to go to the moon, in this decade, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I remember when there was an X-Wing fighter mockup in the Rocket Park (up until the late 80s). Any chance on bringing that back for this exhibit?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner