Space Camp Hall of Fame 2009 - Suggestions

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Something I've been wishing for in my head is as follows:

If MAX-Q can be lured to perform, wouldn't it be great to record it and produce an album?

Half of the proceeds could go to Space Camp (scholarships or some other worthy Space Camp-related cause) while the other half could go to MAX-Q's choosing (Astronaut Memorial Scholarship or something).

I know there would be some complications in getting releases for the music their songs are based on, and perhaps even in clearing them with NASA to produce the album (though, if the PAO is still worth their salt these days--and that's a big if--they should be able to help and not hinder this), but I think it would be something that could raise a reasonable sum over time...
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

If Max Q comes there will be a good assortment of astronauts in attendance.

On the off chance they made a Max Q CD I would easily buy two copies, a few friends would each buy one, and I am sure my local science centre could sell a handful of copies, if not more. After all, Chris Hadfiend is Canadian! (And awesome!) Oh, and don't forget the science mentorship group in Alberta - there's another dozen or more CDs sold.

As much as I adore Space Camp, the USSRC, and Max Q, the plane fare to Huntsville is still too high for me to make a weekend trip down there.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Forget Colbert

Post by Hotdog »

Please don't get Stephen Colbert to host.

He has no ties or no affiliation to Space Camp or the space program whatsoever. If Colbert were to show up at the Rocket Center and give any kind of speech, i would take it with a grain of salt knowing he was just there because someone was paying him to be there and say whatever the hell he had to say.

There are too many people that have worked for the Rocket Center, Redstone Arsenal or NASA for too many years who would be disgraced if some outsider like Colbert were to come in and leapfrog them. We have so many unsung heroes out there, some who still work for NASA and the Rocket Center, and many whom retired years ago.

I would be much more entertained if you found some of these dedicated unsung heroes, rather than trying to get some current mass media intellectual figurehead to pose as as SC friendly ambassador at best.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I don't necessarily disagree with you...

If you put PR value aside, I don't really think Stephen Colbert should be the very first choice on the list. But neither do I believe he should he be off of the list...

I've heard at least one other great name mentioned that doesn't technically have ties to Space Camp that I think most people would approve of wholeheartedly, so I don't think Space Camp is necessarily concerned with someone hosting who is affiliated with Space Camp.

But since I can't name that name, let me name another: I think Neil deGrasse Tyson did a fantastic job speaking at last year's Hall of Fame and would be a great emcee. But he's not affiliated with Space Camp, either.
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Yeah, but he almost singlehandedly demoted Pluto. :wink:
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08