Pathfinder Heavily Damaged

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Pathfinder Heavily Damaged

Post by Boomerang »

A friend of mine who lives in the Huntsville area brought this to my attention tonight.

Aparently a large chunk of the bottom of Pathfinder fell away and onto the External Tank. From the general deterioration that i saw to the once beautiful artifact this does not surprise me at all.

I was shocked to see 2 years ago just how bad it looked and then again last summer. I remember when Pathfinder was a Shining Jewel of the rocket park and much talked about in every space camp and space and rocket center publication not its falling apart it seems.

Truly something needs to be done to restore this once magnificent piece of history. honestly even if it takes a fund raising campaign on the scale of the Saturn V restoration i think it needs to be done before it gets worse.

Don't let the Pathfinder go the way of the Skylab mock up.

This message is intended mainly for the space and rocket center but honestly i think after this and when you see the picture you'll understand.

We need to get a campaign together to save this artifact. Even if nothing else but everyone contacting the space and rocket center and letting them know our feelings on this. To me seeing this happen is a tragedy and a repair job should not cut it they need a real restoration. and i believe the money could be raised.

Pathfinder has been there almost 20 years now it is a part of that place and space campers memories. Lets not let it fall apart but try and do something to save it. Ok now i will come down off my soap box. The link below has a picture of the damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Pathfinder
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

They better do something quick before this falls off and kills somebody. :(
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I just saw this on the Hab1 homepage. Yikes!!

A good portion of my best camp memories involve Pathfinder - seeing it outside the Hab windows, walking past/under it a dozen times a day, and *ahem* climbing on the stands, to name a few. Along with the Saturn V, it is a monument of Space Camp, an icon that engraves itself into every visitor, trainee, and counsellor, and needs to be restored and preserved!

AND SOON!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
airkale
Camper
Camper

Re: Pathfinder Heavily Damaged

Post by airkale »

Boomerang wrote:A friend of mine who lives in the Huntsville area brought this to my attention tonight.

Aparently a large chunk of the bottom of Pathfinder fell away and onto the External Tank. From the general deterioration that i saw to the once beautiful artifact this does not surprise me at all.

I was shocked to see 2 years ago just how bad it looked and then again last summer. I remember when Pathfinder was a Shining Jewel of the rocket park and much talked about in every space camp and space and rocket center publication not its falling apart it seems.

Truly something needs to be done to restore this once magnificent piece of history. honestly even if it takes a fund raising campaign on the scale of the Saturn V restoration i think it needs to be done before it gets worse.

Don't let the Pathfinder go the way of the Skylab mock up.

This message is intended mainly for the space and rocket center but honestly i think after this and when you see the picture you'll understand.

We need to get a campaign together to save this artifact. Even if nothing else but everyone contacting the space and rocket center and letting them know our feelings on this. To me seeing this happen is a tragedy and a repair job should not cut it they need a real restoration. and i believe the money could be raised.

Pathfinder has been there almost 20 years now it is a part of that place and space campers memories. Lets not let it fall apart but try and do something to save it. Ok now i will come down off my soap box. The link below has a picture of the damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Pathfinder
Jason,

Restoring Pathfinder??? Thats no fun, lets just get a big tarp and throw it over the top. Better yet, we'll get a blue tarp and claim FEMA donated it.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

This is horrible! something really should be done, even if it's just a temporary fix for this section. Long term something should definetly be done about the Pathfinder's condition.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I really saw how bad Pathfinder was deteriorating when I was at USSRC in February. For some reason, I really didn't notice it last summer, but after I looked at my pictures from camp last summer I saw it too. Something really needs to be done about it, otherwise this will be another important piece of history gone down.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
andystroik
Camper
Camper

Post by andystroik »

hi everyine

I just emailed a friend who works at the USSRC.
I too hope that if the pathfinder has fallen into disrepair something is done to protect and preserve it.
SCI-VIS ASA Von Braun team member 2004-2006
SCIVIS mach 3 team black lions 2007
Max Carpenter award winner SCIVIS 2007
8/24-8/29 2008 Adult ASA 6-day
Team Kennedy
MS track
jagsvolleyball14
Camper
Camper

Post by jagsvolleyball14 »

apparently there is a repair crew there now one of my friends(a counselor) tells me.
SC-01;counsler-Katie
SA-03;counsler-Katie&Scooby
SA-04;counsler-dusty&?

AC machII eagles
-xmas-04;counslers-Sparky&Stumps

AC machIII blacklions
-xmas-05;counslers-Pooky&RG
-xmas-06;counslers-Bambi&Shaggy
-xmas-07;counslers-Opie&Snapper
andystroik
Camper
Camper

Post by andystroik »

ditto

My friend Brandy Formerly a counselor now a manager tells me.
SCI-VIS ASA Von Braun team member 2004-2006
SCIVIS mach 3 team black lions 2007
Max Carpenter award winner SCIVIS 2007
8/24-8/29 2008 Adult ASA 6-day
Team Kennedy
MS track
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

I hope they brought Duct Tape. :D
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

bnaivar wrote:I hope they brought Duct Tape. :D
It ain't broke till duct tape can't fix it! :wink:
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Hey Jason,

Yeah I remember last summer when I visited, you and I sat at length outside with the Pathfinder describing its deterioration. This was definatley part of the culture shock I had as a former camper returning to visit after 10+ years to see this icon in such shambles. It was if the weathered old Pathfinder was a reminder of how much older I had gotten over the years since I had seen it last.

What are the chances of the Pathfinder being back to normal when we return for alumni weekend next month???
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

According to Vincent's post on the home page, they are doing repairs right now. I doubt it will be a full restoration but it should be back to one piece before you get there.
- Jennifer -
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I am happy to say the renovation of Pathfinder has been completed. All of the cranes and equipment have been removed (except one) and it looks great! Very shiny.

The really good news is the pigeon deterrents that are being installed this week. This will help the 'Iron Horse' stay in better shape. Bird feces contains a lot of acid that does damage rapidly.

Here's a couple of photos:
Living the dream
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

street wrote:I am happy to say the renovation of Pathfinder has been completed. All of the cranes and equipment have been removed (except one) and it looks great! Very shiny.
That's great to hear and especially to see. Especially with the new coat of paint, Pathfinder's looking a lot better, more like I remember her from my first couple of trips to camp.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

WOW i havent seen the old girl; look that good in a long time. Glad to see her once again in all her glory.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Beautiful!!

Amazing what a few tubes of glue and buckets of paint can do.
- Jennifer -
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

I remember how bad it looked when I was down in Huntsville in February, and this is a major improvement. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years, and now it looks almost brand new.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

I was at the USSRC about a month ago and Pathfinder looked great. I had forgotten that it was going to be renovated, so it was quite a shock.
Ad astra per aspera.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

WOW!

My first time back on the board in months and it is nice to see the Pathfinder looking shiny as a new penny. I must say, she looks even better than she did when she first arrived on the grounds in the late 80s!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner