Has this been asked already?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Has this been asked already?

Post by Fatal291 »

I was wondering with the shuttle retiring and that being a big role with space camp.. do they plan on any major "updates" within the next few years? I have not been myself but from the images and videos i have not really seen anything mars related. Maybe I am ahead of myself here i guess lol.. i'd just like to see some stuff like make it a more ISS theme.. or possible "Mars Team" and "Earth Team" as a mock manned mission to Mars. That's something we did at our local Science Museum. Or maybe control or build mars rovers and see how the signal delay plays a vital role on "earth" I know it sounds great when you dont consider cost but this is the only place that does what the astronauts do and i was just wondering what to expect next.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

They are currently developing the ISS. The station stuff is actually pretty cool. There is an awesome obervation node that gives you an above view of the whole TCF. An they have an ISS contol room for the missions. As for what happens after the shuttle, they are going to wait to see what happens before doing much. And I would hate to loose all the shuttle sims in future changes. I have so many great memories from in them that it would be weird to have Space Camp without them.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

i would like to see Orion and Shuttle sim programs coexist in the Space Camp curriculum. I could see them focusing more on Orion as it becomes closer to being operational, but I think it would be a mistake to completely drop the Shuttle from the program completely.

In a perfect world, there would be a Space Camp: Project Mercury & Gemini where you spent a week as an Alan Shepard or Gus Grissom, a Space Camp: Project Apollo & Skylab where you could do sims with CM's & LM's with lunar EVAs, and a Space Camp: Project Space Shuttle that preserves the current Space Camp curriculum. Think of how many people would come back to Space Camp multiple weeks to get the entire NASA historical experience!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Laura
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Laura »

I attended a panel discussion yesterday in which Larry Capps, the CEO of the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, was one of the panel members. He noted that there are five orbiters on the training center floor, and that Space Camp is currently in negotiations to turn the Shuttle trainers to Constellation vehicles. He mentioned a new client in Dubai who will assist with the task in Huntsville and create a space training camp in Dubai.
Space Academy, Boeing - 1997
Space Academy, Coca Cola - 1998
Advanced Space Academy, Von Braun - 1999
Advanced Space Academy, Shepard - 2000
Adult Space Camp - 2005
Adult Space Camp - 2006
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

OK, here's my $.02 (and we all know how much $.02 buys these days).

In all likelyhood our next President is going to be a Democrat. Now after the spend -happy congress that we've had for the last few years, do you really think this President is going to approve a brand-new, untested and untried space program? I mean, just look at the "demonstration" flight that has been set for 2009. An SRB topped by a dummy second stage, a dummy capsule, and no escape system. Basically all they're going to do is launch the same SRB that has been launching the shuttle since 1981. This is our NEW space program? Just how impressive is this going to be to a penny-pinching administration?

To make a long story short (too late), I'm worried that we're either going to end up with nothing, or the same "value engineering" that got us the cut rate shuttle program that has killed several astronauts.
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

bnaivar wrote:OK, here's my $.02 (and we all know how much $.02 buys these days).

In all likelyhood our next President is going to be a Democrat. Now after the spend -happy congress that we've had for the last few years, do you really think this President is going to approve a brand-new, untested and untried space program? I mean, just look at the "demonstration" flight that has been set for 2009. An SRB topped by a dummy second stage, a dummy capsule, and no escape system. Basically all they're going to do is launch the same SRB that has been launching the shuttle since 1981. This is our NEW space program? Just how impressive is this going to be to a penny-pinching administration?

To make a long story short (too late), I'm worried that we're either going to end up with nothing, or the same "value engineering" that got us the cut rate shuttle program that has killed several astronauts.
When you put it like that it does not really seems like the president's fault either way.. i think the hype machine has started rolling and will not stop now. Even if NASA is not given the money it is obvious people are sick of sitting around and waiting for NASA to do this. People like Mars Society and other NASA alternatives seem to have their own goals. Obviously if NASA can't afford to go to Mars it is unreal that they would but unlike NASA I feel that they will already have the vehicles, habs and the entire plan for whoever does or can get enough money to go there some day.
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

monkeynautt wrote:And I would hate to loose all the shuttle sims in future changes.
If they decide to decommission any of them, we should all pool our resources and buy one! That way, we could all get together and have the experience we've always wanted. Whaddaya think?
Ad astra per aspera.
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Has this been asked already?

Post by Mercergl »

Fatal291 wrote:I was wondering with the shuttle retiring and that being a big role with space camp.. do they plan on any major "updates" within the next few years? I have not been myself but from the images and videos i have not really seen anything mars related. Maybe I am ahead of myself here i guess lol.. i'd just like to see some stuff like make it a more ISS theme.. or possible "Mars Team" and "Earth Team" as a mock manned mission to Mars. That's something we did at our local Science Museum. Or maybe control or build mars rovers and see how the signal delay plays a vital role on "earth" I know it sounds great when you dont consider cost but this is the only place that does what the astronauts do and i was just wondering what to expect next.
You're talking about the Science Museum in richmond, right? When was that?
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
stargazer0105
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by stargazer0105 »

bnaivar wrote:I mean, just look at the "demonstration" flight that has been set for 2009. An SRB topped by a dummy second stage, a dummy capsule, and no escape system. Basically all they're going to do is launch the same SRB that has been launching the shuttle since 1981. This is our NEW space program? Just how impressive is this going to be to a penny-pinching administration?

Ummm...it may look like the same SRB but there have been some design modifications made to it. And during my last couple of co-op terms at MSFC I've worked with the guys making those changes. I'd also like to know what makes you think the people working on this are "value engineering" it. Clearly we're going to try and keep the costs as low as possible, but not at the cost of safety or quality.

Also, would you prefer them test the full system and in case of a failure risk losing an entire upper stage plus escape system without ever having tested them? Think of the costs involved there. I could keep going but it's 1:45 in the morning and I'd rather be reading Harry Potter than ranting online.
Advanced Space Academy -July 13-19, 2002-Armstrong-Pilot
Advanced Space Academy -June 28-July 4, 2003-Von Braun-Pilot
ASA 12 day June 26-July 8, 2005
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Re: Has this been asked already?

Post by Fatal291 »

Mercergl wrote:
Fatal291 wrote:I was wondering with the shuttle retiring and that being a big role with space camp.. do they plan on any major "updates" within the next few years? I have not been myself but from the images and videos i have not really seen anything mars related. Maybe I am ahead of myself here i guess lol.. i'd just like to see some stuff like make it a more ISS theme.. or possible "Mars Team" and "Earth Team" as a mock manned mission to Mars. That's something we did at our local Science Museum. Or maybe control or build mars rovers and see how the signal delay plays a vital role on "earth" I know it sounds great when you dont consider cost but this is the only place that does what the astronauts do and i was just wondering what to expect next.
You're talking about the Science Museum in richmond, right? When was that?
No I mean the Math & Science Center, that was a few years ago but i believe they still do that.. im sure they dont have the money to do anything else :wink:
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Ah thats right! I actually think i went to one of those! Next best thing to Space camp
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

We used to have a Challenger Learning Center but when the science centre went under renovations it was removed. I don't know why they never brought it back.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

We had one of those in Tampa, too. I attended a program there once when I was a kid and I liked it so much that I had my birthday party there!
Ad astra per aspera.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

monkeynautt wrote:We used to have a Challenger Learning Center but when the science centre went under renovations it was removed. I don't know why they never brought it back.
I asked them a few times, never receiving a full answer. They have all the stuff in a storage facility somewhere too... I miss the Challenger Centre. The ESSC had a summer astronaut camp one year when I was 14 - it was the first 'space camp' I ever went to. Acutally, that sumer camp was how I found out about the real Space Camp. In our program folder we all got a brochure to Camp Spatiale Canada but when I called to register I was too old and they told me to try US Space Camp. Ah, memories...

I think I had my 16th birthday there and my brother had a few birthdays there as well. I loved assembling the probe.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
MisplacedTexan
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by MisplacedTexan »

They would have to keep the shuttle sim in my opinion. I remember how thrilling it was to ride on the end of the SRMS arm during our mission to do a repair on the Hubble Space Telescope. Well, all except for that dad gum sticking quick connect on the O2 ball you just couldn't operate with your gloves on. :)
SA1 - 12/24-12/29 1989 - Thiokol - MS1
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

There is a nice Challenger Center here in my town of Chattanooga. They have already started their Orion-based moon missions.

http://www.utc.edu/Outreach/ChallengerC ... ssions.htm
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner