Corn Nuggets anyone?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Andromeda462
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Corn Nuggets anyone?

Post by Andromeda462 »

I'm sure everyone remembers the hardly edible cafeteria food in incredibly small portions. I think the most disgusting of it all was the corn nuggets. They look like regular chicken nuggets until you bite into one. Its filled with heavily buttered corn. Its NOT edible and it smells and tastes horrible.

Has anyone else experienced this epitome of horrible cafeteria food?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

You haven't experuianced Horrible Space Camp Cafeteria food till you eat it for 3 months straight. The same food every week with few exceptions. Corn Nuggets, cardboard pizza, hamburgers that have no beef in them. undercooked hot dogs, and roast beast. Atleast on staff you can go out and get something if you dont have a team or arent working that shift at the time of the meal.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

[darn]! I missed the corn nuggets! :) hahha
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

When I was there for Adult ASA this fall, I didn't think that the food was all that bad. Not great, but for cafeteria food, it wasn't horrible. Of course, being in the adult program, they did have some slightly different food for us most of the time (mostly an option to have a not-fried version of what was being served to everyone else that day). And I was able to get some salsa for my eggs on EDM day...took a little bit of convincing and then, apparently, some rummaging around in the kitchen, but I got some.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

/true the adults especially the teacher camps seemed to get better food in general. But then i went to adult academy this summer for the alumni camp and it was the same lousy stuff. A week of it is of even a couple of weeks its when you hit the month + mark you really get sick of it.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

Our Adult Alumni Reunion in June was the first time I had to eat the "normal" cafeteria food. In the past, when I went to Adult Academy we had a different menu than the regular campers.

After eating in the cafeteria for a couple of days we had a catered dinner when Hoot Gibson came to Huntsville. Everyone was getting back in line for thirds and fourths. I think some people were hoarding food in their pockets for later. :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Since I'm a state employee in Georgia I can understand why the food in the cafeteria is lousy.

Two words "Lowest Bidder". :(
Last edited by bnaivar on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

And yet i still want to go back there in January. I think i will be investing in microwavable TV dinners. Some things werent too bad. The ice cream, salas when the lettuce wasnt brown, and the crawdads we had one night but that was unusual. The Chicken tenders when fully cooked was probably the best regular item oh and breakfast wasnt bad if you went after 9 when they fewd the people up stairs but you had to have the right schedule to manage that one.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

If you have access to a microwave and a minifridge and want some help with simple, real food recipes, let me know. I've done way too much business travel and have some ideas that might help you with improvising real food on a budget, with limited time, space and equipment.

Also, just out of curiosity, does anyone know what catering company Space Camp gets their food from?
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

The corn from a corn nugget becomes a lethal projectile when fired out of a straw. Just one of the many properties of cafeteria food that my team dicsovered when we had an hour to eat lunch one day.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
1MileCrash
Camper
Camper

Post by 1MileCrash »

never had them at camp but i've had them at cafe's and drive in's around here and they rock...man i love em
Space Camp - July 1997, Titusville, FL, Team Orion
Space Academy - July 1998, Huntsville, AL, Team BDM
Advanced Space Academy - July 1999, Huntsville, AL, Team Gagarin
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Boomerang wrote:You haven't experuianced Horrible Space Camp Cafeteria food till you eat it for 3 months straight. The same food every week with few exceptions. Corn Nuggets, cardboard pizza, hamburgers that have no beef in them. undercooked hot dogs, and roast beast. Atleast on staff you can go out and get something if you dont have a team or arent working that shift at the time of the meal.
AMEN!!! There should have been hazard pay for eating some of that stuff!
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
Andromeda462
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andromeda462 »

I guess u guys have alot of corn nuggets down south. I'm from NJ and we don't have corn nuggets up here. To me, they taste nasty :?
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

Andromeda462 wrote:I guess u guys have alot of corn nuggets down south. I'm from NJ and we don't have corn nuggets up here. To me, they taste nasty :?
haha, I'm from NJ too but I just think the ones at camp must be gross. I've had real southern corn nuggets and they're pretty darn good! :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
Andromeda462
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andromeda462 »

iheartspacecamp wrote:
Andromeda462 wrote:I guess u guys have alot of corn nuggets down south. I'm from NJ and we don't have corn nuggets up here. To me, they taste nasty :?
haha, I'm from NJ too but I just think the ones at camp must be gross. I've had real southern corn nuggets and they're pretty darn good! :)
Yeah, they were very nasty. lol :D
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Excuse my ignorance, but what are corn nuggets?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Moose
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

corn nuggets

Post by Moose »

SpaceCanada wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what are corn nuggets?
corn nuggets are corn battered in batter and deep fried or baked. they use here in Jacksonville Florida cream corn not just corn. It makes them a little more sweet
ASA- July,3-14,-Liberty Bell
ASA-June,10-22

Right Stuff-ASA- July,3-14
Curious george award-ASA-June,10-22
Best 12 team-ASA-June,10-22

Call-sign: Moose
street
Counselor
Counselor

Post by street »

I like the corn nuggets! (up north you might be more familiar with the term 'corn fritters') I also adore Mexican Wednesday, but then I just take a small bowl of the meat and make a taco salad with the stuff on the salad bar.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

One imoportant thing to remember here Almost anything at camp is edible for a week maybe even 2 or 3 after 3 months it starts to seem like toxic waste. So anyone who complains about eating it for a week should try eating it all summer. And It rarely changes what is served though we did get a few decent meals this summer where they did something diffrent. The day we had mexican wednesday with nice strips of beef and chicken instead of gfround beef was really good. We even had craw dads one night this summer.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Andromeda462
Junior Camper
Junior Camper

Post by Andromeda462 »

There was an inside joke going around my team during my week that during lunch there was always something being served on a bun. It was funny because almost every day there was except when we had nachos and tacos.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Try being a vegetarian at camp. I did not ask what the ingredients were in some things (like tater tots) because I did not want to find out.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017