End of summer musings

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

End of summer musings

Post by Boomerang »

Well here its is nearly the end of my summer here at Space Camp/ Aviation Challenge. I arrived here exactly 3 months ago tommorow and i leave 1 week from tommorow. It all seems like its been a dream and that there is no way 3 months could have passed already. In that time i have seen the 25th anniversary celebration come and go. I've seen 2 adult alumni camps, 3 fireworks displays, met 7 astronauts, 1 star trek captain and seen more kids than i could count come through our programs. I've made many friends and seen some of them leave. Emotions have run the gammit from thrilled, proud, excited, mad, sad and depressed and probably a few others. I could honestle say they could make a soap opera out of this place and noone would believe its all real. And now its almost over and soon i'll have to leave. No more waking up to the sight of pathfinder every morning, no more lousy cafeteria food, but at the same time i'll be leaving behind alot of friends. And though i plan to return in January there is always the uncertainty of the future and what might happen between now and then. I'm sorry for this seemingly pointless muse but i just needed to let it out. I promise when its all over a more complete write up of the summer with pictures.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

Wow! It seems like just yesterday you were posting about completing your training. It is amazing how fast the summers pass by. It's a shame you won't be there a week longer to torture my husband when he goes through Adult AC the weekend of Aug 24. :wink:
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
airkale
Camper
Camper

Re: End of summer musings

Post by airkale »

Boomerang wrote:Well here its is nearly the end of my summer here at Space Camp/ Aviation Challenge. I arrived here exactly 3 months ago tommorow and i leave 1 week from tommorow. It all seems like its been a dream and that there is no way 3 months could have passed already. In that time i have seen the 25th anniversary celebration come and go. I've seen 2 adult alumni camps, 3 fireworks displays, met 7 astronauts, 1 star trek captain and seen more kids than i could count come through our programs. I've made many friends and seen some of them leave. Emotions have run the gammit from thrilled, proud, excited, mad, sad and depressed and probably a few others. I could honestle say they could make a soap opera out of this place and noone would believe its all real. And now its almost over and soon i'll have to leave. No more waking up to the sight of pathfinder every morning, no more lousy cafeteria food, but at the same time i'll be leaving behind alot of friends. And though i plan to return in January there is always the uncertainty of the future and what might happen between now and then. I'm sorry for this seemingly pointless muse but i just needed to let it out. I promise when its all over a more complete write up of the summer with pictures.
What a great adventure! Take comfort in my jelousy of your summer. Even though I was able to spend a short week with you and everyone, I would have loved to work at the USSRC for a summer.

And as it seems all good things must come to an end, I've personally tryed to turn the sad feelings around by looking forward to things to come. Hopefully, when I return the new Saturn building will be complete, and maybe they will have spruced Rocket Park back up to its former glory.

If your ever looking to actually make a Space Camp drama, I was thinking of a title. Instead of "As the World Turns" we could use "As the Rocket Burns". Other thoughts include "The Young and the Weightless".

Tell the place one last goodbye for me, but we'll all be back soon.
Kale

Space Camp(Thiokol, 94,P/S: Columbia),Space Academy(Boeing,95,CMDR: Discovery),AC Mach II("Ace",97),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,07),Adult Alumni Academy(Columbia,08). Been a frequent visitor to USSRC over all the years since.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: End of summer musings

Post by Hotdog »

airkale wrote: "The Young and the Weightless".
:lol:

that's it!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well i just got a reminder of how much hjas happened this summer. One of my fellow counselors who i went through training with just brought me a picture of our training team the "Skinny "sexy" Dragons" that was taken on the day we graduated from counselor training. It seems like so long ago and yet not. And i realise half the people in this picture are either gone now or soon to be leaving, it just doesnt seem like summer could be over.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
empress
Camper
Camper

Post by empress »

I know it must be hard to leave, but at least with Hab 1 you can kinda still be there, or at least "hang out" with fellow space-enthusiasts. Granted, it's not waking up to Pathfinder, but I suppose you could put a shuttle model about 2 inches from your pillow and then when you wake up, it would almost seem like you're still there! :) Well, maybe not... But we "campers" will all still be at Hab 1. So instead of an "ATO," you can "ATI" - Abort To Internet - with us!
1986-current: Enterprise Team
"I am the Commander of this ship, and I am responsible for my crew. And I say we're doing whatever we have to, to keep them all alive." - My one-time refusal to Mission Control, thus earning me my call-sign.