The many adventures of Space Camp Barbie.. ;)

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

Post by Pete Conrad Fan »

gt0163c wrote:Not me, but that's an interesting thought.
Can I get Space Camp Barbie enrolled for Adult ASA when I go so that she can get a certificate at graduation? Anyone know who I should talk to about that one?
You should at least try and get her a badge to wear all week! :-P

I will be home Friday, I'll pack her bag then and send her your way. She shouldn't get homesick. And don't let the one's in the gift shop fool you. She knows they're imposter's! They don't even have one of the patches on their flight suit...no mattel stamped on her butt....and horrible makeup. haha.
-Sarah

Space Academy Level I 9/1990 - BDM
Aviation Challenge Basic 6/1991 - F-16 Falcons, "Tigger", Red Flag Award
Alumni Space Academy 8/2007 - Columbia
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Pete Conrad Fan wrote:

I will be home Friday, I'll pack her bag then and send her your way. She shouldn't get homesick. And don't let the one's in the gift shop fool you. She knows they're imposter's! They don't even have one of the patches on their flight suit...no mattel stamped on her butt....and horrible makeup. haha.
I'll see what I can do about getting her a badge.
And, just so you know, I'm a volunteer youth leader with my church and have taken many, many youth on a variety of different trips. Haven't lost one yet (not for lack of trying in a few cases though. ;) ) And only one trip to the emergency room (freak capture-the-flag injury and the student made a quick and full recovery). So, even if Barbie does get a little lonely for home, I should be able to take care of that.

Thanks again for letting her come. I look forward to her arrival.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Level II Aug '91-Lockheed Engineering
Level II Aug '92-Lockheed Aerospace-Right Stuff Award
Adult ASA Sept '07-Marshall MS
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

gt0163c wrote:
Pete Conrad Fan wrote:

I'll see what I can do about getting her a badge.
And, just so you know, I'm a volunteer youth leader with my church and have taken many, many youth on a variety of different trips. Haven't lost one yet (not for lack of trying in a few cases though. ;) ) And only one trip to the emergency room (freak capture-the-flag injury and the student made a quick and full recovery). So, even if Barbie does get a little lonely for home, I should be able to take care of that.

Thanks again for letting her come. I look forward to her arrival.
Please make sure you have her go say hi to Jeramy the counselor. Jeramy would be oh so happy to see her! :)
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Space Camp Barbie arrived in Texas yesterday all safe and sound. She's doing well and enjoying taking a bit of a break before heading to camp. We've got a few adventures planned before we head out. I'll try to post pictures.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Adult ASA Train With an Astronaut-Oct '15-Discovery-Commander's Cup, Challenger Award, Alumni Coin
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Even if a real space camp badge is unobtainable, it wouldnt be that hard to make one with a paint or photoshop program. Ha ha, a counterfit badge :D
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper
Location: Ocala, Gainesville, Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Lake City, Orlando, FL

gt0163c wrote:Space Camp Barbie arrived in Texas yesterday all safe and sound. She's doing well and enjoying taking a bit of a break before heading to camp. We've got a few adventures planned before we head out. I'll try to post pictures.
Yay! Don't be afraid to take her swimming. She loves the water!

She has her own Flickr page. You can email photos to [email protected] and they will post on the flickr page. At least, they should ;)

** glad to hear she made it okay, safe and sound!
-Sarah

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

So, Space Camp Barbie (SCB) and I had fun on Friday.
We started off with a ride on a Segway. A family that I'm friends with rented two Segway's for the day, in honor of the mom's birthday. Since they're all geeks of various kinds, and they know that I'm a geek, they let me borrow one of the Segways and one of their sons for a few hours on Friday afternoon.

Later that evening, SCB and I joined a couple of other friends at the Fort Worth Museum of Science and History to see the Star Wars Where Science Meets Imagination Exhibit.

We didn't get eaten by a dinosaur.

But we did get to meet R2D2.

This evening, we're headed to a back to school cookout and water balloon fight with the youth at my church. Since I'm an ATP (adult type person, what we call the leaders/chaperones), there is no doubt that I will be a pretty big target. Glad that SCB doesn't mind getting wet.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

oh my god!! I totally LOL'd for each picture! I'm jealous of SCB!! i want to ride a Segway!! And it looks like she had a great time at the museum :)
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

Ditto!! She's having more fun than I am right now...

Look forward to the next installment!

If you don't mind, I'm going to upload these pics to her Flickr account!
-Sarah

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

No problem uploading the images to your flickr account. If you want the full size pictures, let me know and I can email them.

Last night, we did the back to school cookout and water balloon fight with the kids at church (I'm a volunteer youth leader). Here's SCB helping fill up the water balloons:

I think I finally got the latex smell off my hands.

Here's SCB, me and two of my kids after the water balloon fight:

Apparently, this year, I was a prime target. I ended up wetter than just about anyone. Although I didn't get ice water poured down my back. That was reserved for our paid youth director.

Probably won't be too much more fun (or pictures) until later this week when I start to pack for camp. Work's not that interesting and I can't bring a camera in.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

Last night, Space Camp Barbie and I went up to church for the last Ultimate Frisbee game of our summer "season".
SCB made some new friends after the game.

Here she is with James

And then with Ben

And, for the record, the old guys (those old enough to buy alcohol) beat the young'uns in both games. While everyone was hot and sweaty by the end, but Texas standards it was a really nice night (for August). Not too windy. And since the field was mowed about a week and a half ago, the grass wasn't too long (although anyone who took a tumble found that it was still pretty itchy). We generally only break up teams based on age for the final game of the summer. It's always fun to see whether youth and vigor is able to overcome age and wisdom (and height). Last night, it was.

Sarah, feel free to put this on SCB's Flckr page, however please note that I spell my name without an "e".
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

gt0163c wrote:Sarah, feel free to put this on SCB's Flckr page, however please note that I spell my name without an "e".
Got it! I'll fix that right away.
-Sarah

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Well, camp is over, how was the trip? Are there any more SCB photos or stories? People stories?
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

I'm too lazy to find the image, but Space camp barbie, or possibly an air force counterpart, maks a cameo appearence in "National Treasure" during the aircraft carrier scene at a souvenir stand.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

Oooo I can't wait for the stories!!!!!

I got word, that when she comes home, she's immediately going to KSC to a friend of mine to get her picture taken on the flight deck of Endeavour!! YAY.

Next step...get her on a flight. LOL
-Sarah

JennieM
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JennieM »

LOL SCB cracks me up! :lol:
Adult Space Academy - September 1990
Space Academy Level I Counselor - Summers 1991, 1992, & 1993
gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

SpaceCanada wrote:Well, camp is over, how was the trip? Are there any more SCB photos or stories? People stories?
Sorry for the delay in posting more after we got home. Life kinda got incredibly busy for a bit there. Seems to happen after I've been away.
We didn't get too many pictures with SCB during the week. One of the guys who went last year had a teammate who was all about her stuffed frog mascot that wasn't well accepted by the rest of the team (sounds like she wasn't the greatest of teammates) so I didn't press the SCB pictures and such during the week. But I do have a few more pictures to share and lots and lots of stories.
The stories can be found on my blog: http://www.dreams-of-flight.blogspot.com. The entries are long and fairly detailed. There's more stories that I hope to type up in the coming weeks, but there's that whole, ya know, life thing. But, when I do, they will be on the blog. I'll also try to remember to post here when I update.

Here's a few more pictures.

SCB and I arrive at HSV and wait for a cab to take us to the airport:

Here's a close-up

Marshall Team Picture

Marshall at Rocket Launch

Saying good-bye to Iggy (one of my cats)

Saying good-bye to Doc (my other cat)

I'm sending SCB home with a CD with some more pictures and also with some Lockheed Martin airplane magnets that I gave to everyone on the team as well as our counselors (Valerie - callsign Glossy and Casey) and also to Jason (Tiller) who helped us out over at Aviation Challenge, cheered us on at the pamper pole, joined us for a few meals and hung out with us at times during the week.

SCB will be headed home tomorrow (provided the package mailing machine at the post office is working later this evening). She's very excited about going down to see the shuttle launch.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
Pete Conrad Fan
Camper
Camper

Yay! That's great! Hey I wasn't going to push SCB either, but Team Columbia had a good time with her, so she became our mascot. LOL. I look forward to the CD and will update her Flickr accordingly.

Looks like you had a great time! I can't wait to go back.... *sigh*
-Sarah

gt0163c
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by gt0163c »

I've posted a handful of other pictures from my week to my facebook page.
The public link is:http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 ... =507869690. Click on the pictures to embiggen and read the captions.
Level I Aug '89-Rockwell
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Great shots! we had met Chuck during our Area 51 stuff but he wasn't able to stay and help us out. He was nuts! :)