STS-118

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

STS-118

Post by SpaceCanada »

Today I have been given my space fix for a month!

First, it was an e-mail from Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield. I was over the moon! I sent an e-mail requesting permission to use a Max Q song in my Space Camp video, and they had Chris Hadfield himself e-mail me back. I think I stared at that e-mail without blinking for a few minutes, at least.

But, the topic of this post is STS-118, the mision Kayla and I are going to the launch of in late June. And, the rest of my space fix for the month has to deal with that. Just being curious, I sent an e-mail off to the Canadian Space Agency telling them I am going to the launch as a VIP guest for the NASA's Greatest Fan contest. I wanted to know how I could promote the CSA while there, especially since there is a Canadian on the mission.

Well... as if receiving an e-mail from an astronaut (and a Canadian one at that) wasn't enough to keep me grinning for a while, the Canadian Space Agency e-mailed me back inviting me to the Canadian STS-118 reception the night before the launch! They also said they will keep me updated and informed of other Canadian activities going on while I am there.

I think I am going to faint or something. At the very least, I am melting in glee right now. Concentration level = zero. Excitement level = unmeasurable.

As much as I want to attend the Space Camp alumni events, I think this will make up for it.

And yes, I will bring back photos, stories, and all that stuff to share.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Another update:

STS-117 has been rolled back to the VAB to check hail damage to the ET. This could potentially (and likely) delay STS-117, and possibly STS-118 as well. Hmph...
- Jennifer -
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

Wow, that is both phenomenal and horrible news all in one day! Will you still be able to go to the launch if the date changes? I'll be pulling for everything to stay on track!
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

I just booked my ticket yesterday! :cry:
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

You're coming to STS-118 as well? Wow! We should plan to meet up someplace!

Yes, we get to go to the launch even if the date changes. We will get our flights and such closer to the launch date when they know more about delays and timing.
- Jennifer -
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

No. I was responding to your news about STS-117. That's how I first found out!
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

I'm currently planning on attending STS-118 as well. All of the Challenger Centers are supposed to be invited to participate because of the significance of the flight from our perspective.

Barbara Morgan was Christa McAuliffe's backup for STS-51L. She stayed with the program and went completely through the AsCan program to become a flight certified astronaut.

Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'm looking forward to seeing another launch.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Vincent wrote:No. I was responding to your news about STS-117. That's how I first found out!
Oh no, sorry to hear about that Vincent. I wondered why there was a sad face in your post. I hope your ticket will allow you to switch the dates once you know the new launch schedule.

Sandrat - I heard about the Challenger Centres being invited. Too bad we don't have one up here any more. Rather, we do, but it has been in storage since they renovated the science centre a few years back. Hopefully I'll see you there!
- Jennifer -