Funny thing happened on the way to Huntsville

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Funny thing happened on the way to Huntsville

Post by des »

I just recalled this. Funny thing.
But I was in Atlanta and wearing the flight suit that I bought earlier (lucky hting too as it was way too long). Anyway, while in the airport I overheard several people talking about me. "She works for NASA." etc.
Several people asked me what it was like and what I did.

A few years later, I wore my flightsuit on a little trip I took. This guy was convinced he had seen me on tv and that I was an astronaut. I let him think that for several hours discussing the mission I went on. LOL. :-)
He asked me specific questions about the space program but I recall I answered incorrectly on one of them, but he didn't know it. I only figured out later.

I also wore the suit to space day and various astronomy and space groups. At the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago people would ask me for directions. (They have a mini space center there.) This is definitely a great outfit!

--des
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

How cool! I've basically just worn mine for Halloween, though one of the Halloween parties was at the science museum where I volunteer. I did wear it twice for a program I gave on the Centennial of Flight.

I'm not sure if I'll wear it this year or not; I may get some strange reactions in light of the Lisa Nowak scandal.

I also went as an astronaut's wife one year, with a dress and wig that look like they're from the 60's, and carried a little American flag and a LIFE magazine that had one of the Apollo missions on the front. That was fun.
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

why not be Lisa Nowack for halloween this year! You might win "most original costume" at a party. Wear a diaper over your flightsuit, carry some mace and a BB gun, and walk around with a spaced-out look on your face. Scary!
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

That's a scary idea!!!! (BTW, at the Space Educator conference, I heard a flight surgeon talk about health issues. He was quite embarrassed I could tell. He said something to the effect of, "well before now we had no serious mental health issues". That isn't quite true as I know that Buzz Aldrin became an alcoholic and became seriously depressed. It is no secret. But I think at the time, it was. Of course, depression and attempted murder aren't quite at the same level. )

--des
Hotdog wrote:why not be Lisa Nowack for halloween this year! You might win "most original costume" at a party. Wear a diaper over your flightsuit, carry some mace and a BB gun, and walk around with a spaced-out look on your face. Scary!
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

yeah i hate when people say they've seen me before and i'm like no.. you have not then they catch the attitude.. ah well if I were you I would have tried to get some first class seats out of it :twisted:
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

First class tickets... there's an idea. Well the whole identity-flight suit thing reminded me of a song by the Smothers Brothers which I am sure all of you are too young for. Anyway, the song is to the tune of the Streets of Loredo, if you would know that... (no probably not. Oh well.)

Anyway, "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy. I see by your outfit you are a cowboy too. We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys. If you get an outfit you can be a cowboy too." :-)

So get a flight suit and you are half-way to working for NASA or being a real astronaut. You got the right clothes. Of course, I think the only time they wear flightsuits is for interviews now, and I'm not sure even if they have worn them at all for awhile. (Someone has to do something, you see the astronauts in these dreadful pea green shirts working in space...)
:-)

--des
Fatal291 wrote:yeah i hate when people say they've seen me before
and i'm like no.. you have not then they catch the attitude.. ah well if I were you I would have tried to get some first class seats out of it :twisted:
Fatal291
Camper
Camper

Post by Fatal291 »

lol @ your sig!
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

yeah remember that time Buzz Aldrin punched that guy in the face for claiming that the moon landings were faked? I'm sure you can find it on YouTube if you haven't seen it...
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I nearly ended up in Hong Kong on one my trips home from Space Camp. My original flight changed gates but nobody told me, and somehoe nobody checked my ticket. When I went to get on the plane they asked me what I was doing going to Hong Kong by myself. Needless to say, I rushed to the new gate and boarded the proper plane 30 minutes later... Phew... close call.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Carrie
Camper
Camper

Post by Carrie »

Hotdog wrote:why not be Lisa Nowack for halloween this year! You might win "most original costume" at a party. Wear a diaper over your flightsuit, carry some mace and a BB gun, and walk around with a spaced-out look on your face. Scary!
I saw a report on this year's Mardi Gras in New Orleans where a group of people did this. Funny in an embarrassing kind of way for us space nuts! I had actually thought of it for Halloween, but my dressing up tends to be mostly at work these days, and my boss would have a cow if I came in with some of the implements Nowak had (then again, it might be worth getting fired to see the look on her face). :twisted: Muahahaha!
Adult Space Academy Sept. 24-26, 2004
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Another funny thing happened. I am trying to get a deal on caps from the space camp store for my "space explorer" camp. Anyway, someone gave me a women's name, Jimmie, who is very nice.

Anyway, I started telling her about my family members in Huntsville. I always say one thing about the south, "when your here you're family", as these are all second cousins or something twice removed-- we don't worry about these in the north at all. Anyway, she happened to know all these family members of mine. She told me enough details to know she wasn't kidding around with me. Too funny. :-)

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I've had similar things happen. For example i was in an aol space chat room and mentioned space camp. One of the other chatters mentioned that she had been a bus driver giving the Marshall tours back in the 90's. We started chatting and come to find out she was my bus tour guide in 1998.

small world
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador