Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

Post by Boomerang »

Well i talked to my grandmother today and she offered to pay the alumni camp tuition. So i will be registering this week for the camp august 2-5. Anyone else going?
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Sweet!

There's talk amongst some of my fellow '04 counselors of going then (with or without me...time will tell on that front). I'm sure you'll be in good company!
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I won't be going to any of them... but have a nice trip!

Oh, and kudos to Vincent for being featured in the most recent Space Camp Alumni newsletter!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Red Bull
Counselor
Counselor

IHOP

Post by Red Bull »

Vincent, when you come to HSV I am going to take you out to IHOP. Back in 2004, that was the only place or time I ever had a real conversation with you.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I just started thinking of going in Aug. I am working in June and July, and I wouldn't really be able to get a sub so I think June is out.
I guess I have to think fast. But I do make an extra $2000 over the summer. My only problem other than money is working in my visit to my mom, also in Aug or late July before school starts.

Anyway, it sounds cool. I have been looking at the Advanced Adult stuff but they are all in Sept and late Aug. I teach and we start in mid Aug sometime. So that is totally out. I really wish they'd offer it other times of the year, but I think that was always the issue.

--des
Safety
Counselor
Counselor

Safety To Return

Post by Safety »

I plan on showing up sometime mid-late July.

Nothing for sure untill my leave is approved and my tickets bought.
Safety
June 1999 - June 2003
2 Weeks AC California Mach II
9 Weeks of AC Mach III
1 - 8 Day Program AC
1 - 12 Day Program AC
Space Camp Hall of Fame - Class of 2008
AC Counselor 2009

Joshua Whitfield
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

Just like the front page says, I'm going to be privileged enough (read: great tax refund) to go to both alumni sessions!

June just can't come quickly enough! And neither can August!

I really hope to see everyone who's reading this there! But, understanding that not everyone will be able to attend for various reasons, I'll settle for most.

And, Ping, just tell me which IHOP and I'll be there! :wink:
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Hey Vincent cant wait to see you there in august. I'll get my grandmothers check deposited tursday and register for sure over the weekend. Man August seems like forever to wait i seem to have a bad case of space camp fever. Ofcourse if by some miracle i get in the hall of fame. (wishful thinking) i'll see you in june too.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Wow, congratulations to everyone who is going to the alumni sessions!!

Make sure you send us lots of updates, stories, and photos. A play-by-play will suffice...
- Jennifer -
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hey SpaceCanada, am I going to want to go to Space Camp after doing a space camp? I need to know before I fork over $$, otoh, I don't know if I can ever get too much space. :-) (going to Houston didn't make me less into it.)

I still have to think about the money.

Also is anyone staying in the Hab. I think I might be too old for the tin can. :-) But I dont' know if I can afford the Marriot. Do they offer good deals or anything?

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Welln i got a hotel reservation for august at 94 dollars a night which is cheaper than the place space camp has a deal with at 110 a night. Thats for the august camp weekend arrivingon the 2nd and leaving on the 6th so i'm planning to leave the day after camp ends. June everything was over 100 a night.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

You're not just going to stay at Space Camp?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well as much as i'd love to stay in the hab. Beiong in a wheel chair i would rather have a n accessable hotel room. I'vre stayed at the marriott and they have good accessability. The Hab though accessable would be a little more difficult to deal with.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Des - when I was at adult camp we had one camper who was 64 years old (another one in her 60s too, and plenty of 40 and 50-somethings) staying in the Hab. Actually, all but one of our team stayed there. The one who didn't had his wife on holiday with him, so he wanted to stay with her at the Mariott. Fair enough. I still say Hab 1 is the best place to stay. They are pretty flexible at adult camp too, giving everyone a bottom bunk if they want it.

And as for going to Space Camp after your summer space day-camps, I would definitely say it's worth it. If the flight from here didn't cost more than the camp fee itself, I am certain I would go to Space Camp more often.
- Jennifer -
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Thanks. It was a long time ago since I stayed there and as I recall it wasn't too comfy. If I stay there I would take polar fleece and my own
pillow, and maybe a polar fleece throw I have. I am not too picky about my mattress but I hate to be cold. Yes, they were flexible. I don't know anyone sleeping in an upper bunk unless they wanted to. I actually didn't have a roommate one year (I much preferred having one, as I am a litle shy-- in person-- it would be good to room with someone.)

I was thinking. Gosh, I'm silly how could I have enough space?!
And my experiences this summer will be neat (I hope) to share with others.

Yes, it's expensive flying there from here as well. There is no direct flight (I doubt there are too many direct flights there.) I'm getting on the horn and booking my stay.

--des
SpaceCanada wrote:Des - when I was at adult camp we had one camper who was 64 years old (another one in her 60s too, and plenty of 40 and 50-somethings) staying in the Hab. Actually, all but one of our team stayed there. The one who didn't had his wife on holiday with him, so he wanted to stay with her at the Mariott. Fair enough. I still say Hab 1 is the best place to stay. They are pretty flexible at adult camp too, giving everyone a bottom bunk if they want it.

And as for going to Space Camp after your summer space day-camps, I would definitely say it's worth it. If the flight from here didn't cost more than the camp fee itself, I am certain I would go to Space Camp more often.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well if you're going in august i'll see you there vincent too. We really need to get a picture of any hab 1 people there all together
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Well I went to a conference where there were a lot of people who met online but didn't know each other in person. We put the online group and our login name. That worked pretty well, but if we did put up pictures you could get over the shock of seeing your grandmother at Space Camp. :-)
(Oh gosh is that a scary thought!)

--des
LB206 wrote:Well if you're going in august i'll see you there vincent too. We really need to get a picture of any hab 1 people there all together
LaRsOnAtRiXkIx
An Original Seven
An Original Seven

Post by LaRsOnAtRiXkIx »

This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway..

Do you need to be an alumni to register for the weekend alumni camp? I married a man who never went to camp 8O , and would like him to come with me if I go.
-kristina-
april 1 ~ april 6, 2001
space academy - team calypso
april 6 ~ april 11, 2003
advanced space academy - team von braun
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

From the website:

Open to alumni ages 19 and above

Alumni is defined as former staff members and/or campers

http://www.spacecamp.com/details.php?ca ... ultWeekend

You could call and ask but it appears like they only want alumni attending these sessions as it is a reunion weekend.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

LaRsOnAtRiXkIx wrote:This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway..

Do you need to be an alumni to register for the weekend alumni camp? I married a man who never went to camp 8O , and would like him to come with me if I go.
I don't think there will be a problem if you both want to go. And if you just both register on the internet with that code, I'm sure no one will even question it if you're worried.

And anyway, he's an alumnus by marriage! :wink:

...and congrats!