Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I'll be at camp in June! yay! I just got my plane ticket yesterday. I arrive Tuesday and leave Monday. I hope to sign up for the camp session on the weekend but I won't be staying in the Hab. I figure I get a hotel for the weekend I may as well use it.
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

[email protected] just made the IS department flinch. That's a lot of information to store, collate, maintain, etc.... Good idea, but I don't think they'd ever do it.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Well scratch one name from the august camp i'll be woring at AC instead.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

monkeynautt wrote:I'll be at camp in June! yay! I just got my plane ticket yesterday. I arrive Tuesday and leave Monday. I hope to sign up for the camp session on the weekend but I won't be staying in the Hab. I figure I get a hotel for the weekend I may as well use it.
I guess I'll be seeing you in June! But I'll be staying in the Hab.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I plan on calling sometime next week to sign up for the June Session.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

This is really quite a good idea! Of course, back in the day they didn't have email, but I tend to keep track of email addresses and links that are still important to me and would update them.

Now if I could only get rid of my college which *still* seems to find me and ask me for donations. It just amazes me.

--des

Hotdog wrote:lord knows my physical address has changed about 12-13 times since the last time I attended Camp.

email is going to be the way to go. Before you leave Space Camp, you will get your own [email protected] email address. Move three or four times, your spacecamp.com address never changes. It will then be up to the mothership to provide enough interesting correspondance and other perks to make ex-Campers continue to use and check that email address. You would also need this special type of email address in order to be a part of the Friendster/Myspace spinoff that lets Campers keep in touch after Camp...but thats another story/idea of mine. All of this could at least be a start that is better than the old system of trying to keep track of physical addresses. Hey, who wouldn't want a [email protected] email address anyway?!?! Plus it would be cheap and easy for the mothership to implement this as part of your sign-up.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

des wrote:This is really quite a good idea! Of course, back in the day they didn't have email, but I tend to keep track of email addresses and links that are still important to me and would update them.

Now if I could only get rid of my college which *still* seems to find me and ask me for donations. It just amazes me.

--des
Your college will bother until the day you die. My dad has not attend ASU for over at least 24 years now and they still ask him for money.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

ApolloXI wrote:I plan on calling sometime next week to sign up for the June Session.
Yeah! Another person for the June weekend!
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

This is probably too insane to pull off, but perhaps I could submit my request to leave two weeks before the August camp and then end my time in Huntsville with a bang... assuming it even happens... please happen!
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Sandrat wrote:[email protected] just made the IS department flinch. That's a lot of information to store, collate, maintain, etc.... Good idea, but I don't think they'd ever do it.
I take it you mean the IT department? It would probably only require 2-3 days a week to maintain. Day 1 would be spent setting up that week's trainees with email accounts. Day 2 and the optional Day 3 could be spent setting up and contacting alumni with their email accounts. It shouldn't be that much of a stretch since the domain is already there and an employee email system likely already in place. You'd need a couple of computers and employees to keep, collect, and maintain the info. The Alumni Association would already be working on building a database of former Campers which would aid this process, and the email system would in turn be a key part of that database.
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

When I worked at Sprocket the department was called IS. I understand where you are coming from, I'm just suggesting that the effort required would be too much in the eyes of some.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
b52murph
Camper
Camper

Post by b52murph »

Does anybody know how many have signed up (so far) for the Alumni Parent/Child weekend in August? I haven't done so yet, but will be within a week or so... thx.
Jordan "b52murph" Murphy
Camp I, April 1986; Camp, April 1987
Academy I, April 1988; Academy I, April 1989
Academy II, Feb 1990; Aviation Challenge, Jun 1990
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

Okay soo today I got to thinking.. I was at the rink skating around and playing with the puck... i just LOVE the sounds of an ice rink... anyways, when i mess around on the ice I keep one earbud in with my music on.. not to loud cause i like to hear the ice under my skates.... anyways.. i was mindlessly skating when the Time for courage song came on and I started to think about convos that i have had with Andi and about the convo on this forum here.....

Okay so the whole yourname @spacecamp.com....... one of you says that its a good idea one says it scares IS/IT...... okay.... I agree that its not the best idea.... i am not an techie... BUT... would it not take a LOT of server space to host all the accounts and give everyone so much room for the inbox and all.... server space cost money.... it needs some IT guys to keep it going.... okay someone mentioned that ... 2 or 3 guys i think was the given number of people to work it..... okay... sounds simple but how much would they get hourly... how much would they be getting yearly!!!??? HUMmmm..... thats a HUGE financial commitment.....I am sure Space Camp wants to do all they can, but they are a business and they know where they they need to but the money.... I think they see keeping the sims they got up and runing, and making sure that the buildings are safe for us as a stronger pirority then some email accounts...

so we question if there was more that they could of done to advertise the 25th year.... maybe, we can all think of a gizillon ways they could have.. but again we dont know the budget they have to work with...

sure they could of make a commercial for cable during prime time.... but WOW... thats a LOT of money... pay for the time slots, pay for the making of, the editing, the actors, and lord knows what else.... that adds up fast..... well maybe they could of done it the NASA was, have colleges with Film schools do a contest to make a Public Service announcement commerical for them.... would of not cost them to make the comerical... but then they have to still pay uper amount for the prime time slots or maybe even for the early sat time slots for all the kides watching tv..... and then they would have to compensate the winners of the video contest some how.....and that would cost money

its easy for us to point fingers and say how its soo simple to get something done... but theres a lot going on that we dont see, and that we dont know about.....

best bet to get an alumni thing going would be for some volunteer commitee to form and step up with a game plan to do the work and find the founding with out needing any but a pat on the back and a thank you from USSRC and Space Camp.....
ASA Oct 99 ---> Noodles, friend of SpaceCanada
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I'm afraid so!

Still no word on summer session and if I have enough students to take off. I'm afraid I might not know this until maybe June, which is ok I guess as I want to go to the August camp session.

--des
ApolloXI wrote:[
Your college will bother until the day you die. My dad has not attend ASU for over at least 24 years now and they still ask him for money.
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I registered today for alumni camp and I can't wait for June now!!!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

You know, I think I like my idea of stopping working just in time for the Alumni camp... I wonder if I could go ahead and register? That'd probably help with the August numbers... what do you guys think?

Also, what exactly is the refund policy?
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

MNathaniel wrote:You know, I think I like my idea of stopping working just in time for the Alumni camp... I wonder if I could go ahead and register? That'd probably help with the August numbers... what do you guys think?

Yay! I think you should register :) I'll be there in August!

umm... I just tried looking for their cancelation policy and cant find it anymore. :( I remember seeing it though!
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
iheartspacecamp
Camper
Camper

Post by iheartspacecamp »

No one has posted the tentative schedule for the alumni weekends yet so here it is... hoping maybe it'll convince some more people to sign up! (hope this formats correctly!)

Activity Schedule
Thursday 1:00 PM Registration, HAB1
3:00 PM Program Start
3:30 PM Shuttle O
4:30 PM MCC Tour
5:00 PM Mission Positions
5:30 PM Dinner, MELS
6:00 PM Mission Training
7:00 PM Attend Panel, MUSM
7:30 PM Event With Guest Speakers
9:00 PM Mission
Friday 7:00 AM Wake Up
7:30 AM Prep For Day
8:00 AM Breakfast
8:30 AM High Ropes, AR51
11:00 AM Clean Up
11:30 AM Lunch
12:00 PM IMAX
1:00 PM Tour Facility
2:00 PM Astronaut Training
3:30 PM Gift Shop
4:00 PM Meet the Curator
5:00 PM Dinner, MELS
5:30 PM Museum Sims
6:30 PM Travel
7:00 PM Flight Physiology
8:00 PM Centerfuge
9:00 PM Travel
9:30 PM End of Day
Could Purchase & Attend 930pm Spiderman
Saturday 7:30 AM Wake Up
8:00 AM Prep For Day
8:30 AM Breakfast
9:00 AM IMAX
10:00 AM Travel
10:30 AM Water Survival
12:30 PM Travel/Clean Up
1:00 PM Lunch
1:30 PM Travel
2:00 PM Pre- Brief
2:30 PM AC Sim 1
4:00 PM T-Ops
4:30 PM AC Sim 2
5:30 PM Travel/Prep Dinner
6:00 PM Attend Alumni Dinner & Dance
10:00 PM End of Day
Sunday 7:00 AM Wake Up
7:30 AM Prep For Day
8:00 AM Breakfast
8:30 AM Option A: Ares Briefing
Option B: Free Musuem Time
10:00 AM IMAX
11:00 AM Graduation
Space Camp - 4/14/91 - 4/19-91 - Saturn team
Academy I - 4/18/93 - 4/23/93 - Mart. Marietta B
Academy I - 7/3/94 - 7/8/94 - Thiokol B
Alumni Academy 8/2/07 - 8/5/07 - Columbia
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

MNathaniel wrote:You know, I think I like my idea of stopping working just in time for the Alumni camp... I wonder if I could go ahead and register? That'd probably help with the August numbers... what do you guys think?

That page seems to be screwed up on the space camp website. I remember reading something about it though, and I think that if you cancelled at least 30 days before camp, you get a 90% refund.
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Hmm... I think I'd know 30 days before the camp whether I'd decided to put in my resignation (or whatever they call it) 2 weeks before it... and honestly, I think it's decent timing, though I'll run the idea by my parents. It's cheap enough, considering the money I'll be making with room and board included, working at AC... at least, I think...