Alumni Camps Whos going and when?

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I don't think there ae too many people here old enough to have kids old enough to go to camp yet. If i had them i'd take them but i'm still a few yearsaway from having kids. Honestly i dont think anyone has refered to themselves as having kids here but maybe someone does.

Also welcome to Hab 1
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Well, I'm going to make a plane and hotel reservation and look into renting a car (vs. taking cabs). If anybody else is coming in on the 13th and wants to be roomies (or just hang out), drop me a pm.

I may have a day to kill in Huntsville, what would you recommend doing?

P.S. This is going to be my tenth anniversary of going to Space Camp!
Ad astra per aspera.
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

Well, I am seriously looking at it. It will be my 25th Anniversary of going to camp.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

I want to go back to camp so bad! I graduate university in December of 2008 so I hope to go back to camp sometime in the fall of 2009. I want to go to the 25th anniversary stuff but I can't afford the flight (and the fact that I need to buy a car this summer). I expect lots of pictures from everyone that's going!
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

My sister and I are roadtripping down to the dance, but thats all I'll be able to go to until we go to adult AC in late August. We're tennis instructors and can't miss too much work, so we basically are driving down to Huntsville and the turning back. It should be fun though.
Mach III winter '03- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III winter '04- Top Gun Award
Mach III spring '05- Top Gun Award
ASA winter '06
Mach III summer '06
Mach III winter '06- Top Gun Award
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

So what's on the agenda for those of us lucky enough to be attending the alumni camp? 48-hour mission? Six-stage model rockets? TPing Pathfinder? C'mon, spill it!
Ad astra per aspera.
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I highly doubt there will be 24 hour missions this is a weekend alumni camp [plus with all the other stuff going on including dances. tours, use of simulators a banquet etc dont think there would be time. I do know atendees are supose to get to do a mission but i'm thinking more along the lines of 2 hours. Activities for the camps are listed on space camps website under the alumni section under the alumni camps link
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

There won't be time for a 24 hour mission. I went to the adult camp, and we had two 2 hour missions where we were in MC in one and part of a shuttle crew or space station for the other one. I know the alumni camp is actually a day longer (I think), but it was a pretty intense experience with a lot of activities in a short space of time going from before 8 AM to after 10 PM (well I am not so sure we were walking around and had free rein of everything after about 9 or so. I understand there will be a (one? or would that be the way we did it before- where we switched?) mission, some AC activities (the zip line and dunker hopefully?), as well as all sorts of social events etc. etc. I think it will be jam packed, and you will get your money's worth.

There is a lot to see esp for those of us who went years ago...

--des
monkeynautt
Counselor
Counselor

Post by monkeynautt »

So according to Alumni Andi's myspace, only 10 people have signed up for the June Alumni camp. I would have thought more people would sign up. If the plane ticket wasn't so expensive I would be going (I'm not ruling out anything yet - I may be able to go if I can convince my dad to lend me the money.)
-Laura
ASA:
Aug 2001 - Shepard
Aug 2002 - Shepard
July 2003 - Goddard
Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - Von Braun
May/June 2004 - Enterprise
Alumni SA:
June 2007 - Challenger
July 2009 - Columbia
Counselor:
Summer 2009
Robotics Counselor:
Summer 2010
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I might sign up but it really depends on where I work this summer.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Only 10? Wow... once I have summer plans I'll see about fitting the other session in, but I already bought Bonnaroo tickets, so I can't go to the big weekend, dangit...
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

The last time I called there were 26 spaces left in the August camp.
(I don't know how many spaces were available.)
I am still wanting to go but just spent $1700 on IRS! (OUCH!!! I have to look at how many deductions I claimed-- yikes). Anyway, I am still wanting to go, but there is even some question on how my summer camp is going (I have only 7 kids-- to be 8 soon) signed up. They made a huge mistake. No summer job, and I can't go. Maybe people are waiting til the last minute.
Anyway, I wonder if US Space Camp is as nervous as I am. :-}
But I don't want to teach public school this summer!

--des
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I asked Andi about the august camp she said 8 were signed up so far myself included
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I'm waiting as long as I can to register. I'm hoping at least my first camp session will fill up enough (7 or more). I think word of mouth will raise the no. and then I will be able to work both sessions for money.

If I can wait then I'll know if I really have money for the Alumni weekend.

--des
Benji
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by Benji »

Well, the USSRC found me a place to stay the night before Camp; UAH has graciously opened up a couple dorm rooms for campers for only $20 a night. I'm kinda on the fence about this... at least I know what I'm getting, but I might have a lot more fun couch surfing. Thoughts?
Ad astra per aspera.
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

Hmm, it seems I missed the post on how many people were signed up for August camp. Maybe they are as nervous as I am. I'm sure they would run it, but they might be sorry. I don't know where the "break even" point is.
Maybe they are like me and holding out a little.

I stayed in the dorm before space camp one year. It was VERY quiet. The most fun I had the night before was going over to the Marriott for the Happy Hour. I don't really drink so I had a soft drink, and ate loads of delicious happy meal goodies all for the cost of a coke! (I think I mentioned it before.)

But it was quiet. The other neat thing was walking around the grounds. I'm not sure I would feel as safe as I did back then, but it was so cool. Pathway had blue lights on it. It was kind of eerie but neat looking. The thing is I hardly ran into anyone. I like my own solitude, but it was a bit quiet even for me.

I will definitely try to look up my relatives who I haven't seen for years and years. But if I were to do that again, I would definitely bring an instrument. ( I play a Native American flute and an alto recorder.)

I imagine the Marriott is expensive. I just checked and it is $140 a night.
I don't know if there is any sort of deal for Space Campers??

--des
Benji wrote:Well, the USSRC found me a place to stay the night before Camp; UAH has graciously opened up a couple dorm rooms for campers for only $20 a night. I'm kinda on the fence about this... at least I know what I'm getting, but I might have a lot more fun couch surfing. Thoughts?
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Try August 2-6 instead of 2-5 for the marriott i found for me that dropped tyhe price per night to 94
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
alumniandi
Counselor
Counselor

Alumni Camps

Post by alumniandi »

If anyone is planning on attending the first Alumni Camp in June, they need to make their reservations. Camp management is considering cancelling or combining the Alumni weekends. Please let's work to increase the number registered.
Alumni Andi

"We choose to go to the moon, in this decade, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Is there anyway you can give us a date when we need to register.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
des
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by des »

I'd register right away, but if I don't work this summer, I can't go. I make an extra $2000 over the summer and that would pay for it. I still have only 8-9 kids signed up. I have to get 7 in each session to run them and get all my pay. I had no idea I would owe $1700 in income taxes!! That's a first.

--Jane