Space dots at Space Camp

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Space dots at Space Camp

Post by Harmakis »

I just got back from a really fun experiance. My College here in Nashville, Belmont. Requires that all students attend a min of 15 convo events a year. Pretty much academic lectures. Anyways, 99 out of 100 convos are just boring and Blah, But today was one that was actually worth Going to.

Curt Jones the inventor of Dippin' Dots, who just so happens to live in Nashville, came to talk about how he started the Dippin' Dots empire.

For us Space Campers we probably know it better as Space Dots.

Jones talked about how he got the idea to make dippin' dots from the research he was doing at the time in microbiology.

Now going into the event they handded out free Space Dots to everyone who attended and as a few of us were eating the dots waiting for the Jones to begin I was telling my friends about how Space Dots are HUGE at Camp, how its a tradition at Space Camp, and also some of the stories about Space Dots frm when Jennifer and I attended ASA. *the machine raps little kids of their money ;) LOL*

So Mr. Jones was talking about how from 88 to 92 he could not get the product to take and start selling it. And that it was NASA who asked for a contract to sell space dots at Kennedy Space Center and the Florida Space Camp that set the ball rolling and sent Space Dots into the market.

That made all my friends laugh at me, but ya. What can I say. Space Dots, the ice cream of the future" works well at a NASA center.. heheh... go Fig...

But ya I just thought it was cool. Space Camp influences thousands of Kids every year... and I guess they can add, Simulates Small Business to their list as well.

:D hehe

Happy Monday everyone.

Kayla
ASA Oct 99 ---> Noodles, friend of SpaceCanada
karatebando
Camper
Camper

Post by karatebando »

That is sooo cool. I'd love to meet a man like that. Dippin' Dots have always been a treat you could only get at the local water park or knott's. Lately they have made a huge boom, being sold at relay for life, street fairs, disneyland, and other places. I only enjoy dippin' dots where they have always been. The places I bought them at durring my childhood. Of course I will buy some "space dots" from space camp though. You bet. I'm craving some just talking about it.
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

I LOVE DIPPIN' DOTS! Those things are soooo good... I didn't know the guy lived here in Nashville, I wish Vanderbilt would have cool stuff like that!
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

vanderbilt.. hey thats just a hop skip away from belmont...
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

yep! It sure is!
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

what are you in for?
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

Pre-med, plus majoring in Geology and Chemistry.... what are you?
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

the crazy and ambitious Engineering Phyiscs.... yep thats right NOT music... LOL
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

fun! lol, you crazy Physics people!
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

whats crazy about it is i want to be an engineer.. i am sooooo ooo sick of physics right now... i am not that good at it.... but Embry-Riddel recommended EP as the BS for entry into their Space Systems Engineer masters program....
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

ahhh... fun stuff... is that the only major Embry-Riddle suggests... I would definitely not be able to do a physics major... I need to take physics since I'm pre-med, but I'm definitely dreading it!
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

no its not they take other engineerings but the most accepted in EP... for my line of Masters work...
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Crazy university people... ;-) I transferred to technical school and had the time fo my life. Too bad it won't get me into any space-faring careers, but those are very hard to come by in Canada anyway, especially in Alberta.

Right-o... I am looking forward to having some Dippin Dots when we go to KSC in June!! Chocolate Chip Mint and Cookies and Cream... Yum! I'll have to get some of those funny $1 bills for the vending machines. Hehehe... yay! (It's the small things that I get excited about... who cares about the launch, I want Dippin Dots! ;-))
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

Space Canada! There is a (remote) possiblity I could be at KSC for the launch too! My chem prof suggested to me that I apply to NASA's SLSTP program (he's probably the only one who considers me even remotely "intelligent") but yeah.. I would be working at NASA doing research for 6 weeks this summer, and would be seeing all the launches during those 6 weeks! Like I said, its a remote possiblity, but it can't hurt to apply for such a competitive program!

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hey, that would be awesome if you were accepted into the SLSTP programme! Best of luck. Keep us posted. :D
- Jennifer -
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

i see your from Fargo, did you look at UND for their space studies program at all???

thats where i started at.... sometimes i wish i would of stayed there... but whats done is done....

I have dippin dots every preds game i go to... :-P and its not from a machine, they hand scope it... LOL.. sorry Jennifer...
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Harmakis wrote:I have dippin dots every preds game i go to... :-P and its not from a machine, they hand scope it... LOL.. sorry Jennifer...
They are a luxury for me, reserved for spacey vacations. They used to have a Dippin Dots stand at USSRC where they used to scoop the stuff. It was never open when I was there except 1997 but we never had time to get the scooped dots so we just got the packages. They might still have the scooped dots at USSRC in summer but I don't know for sure.

Oh well... I like my vanilla frozen yogourt and chocolate frozen soy cream. Ooh... and slush ice creams from the corner store - half slush, half soft serve ice cream! Mmm... but only in summer.
- Jennifer -
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I don't know about her but i'm looking at the University of North Dakota for a masters in Space Studies through their online program.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Harmakis
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Harmakis »

well a few more months and you can have all the dipping dots you can eat!
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

Thats cool that you're looking at UND!!!!! I have tons of friends there, plus my brother goes there!!!

If I were to do anything aerospacey I would definitely be at UND! But,I'm pre-med, so I chose Vandy for their strong pre-med reputation. My bro has taken a lot of aerospace classes though.

How did you like Grand Forks???? I don't think I could spend 4 years there, thats like the only bad thing about UND.