A Smile as Big as the Moon update from the author

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

A Smile as Big as the Moon update from the author

Post by Boomerang »

Some of you may know i met Mike Kersjas the author of the book "A Smile As Big as the Moon last summer in Huntsville at an educator confrence. Well today i just got an email through Dr. Cassandra Runyon of SERCH which is part of the NASA Science Mission Directorate who put on the confrence last year. It has the latest information on the movie from the author himself. You'll find a copy of the email below.

Morning all -

I've had several inquiries from you all regarding the status of Mike Kersjes' upcoming movie from his book - A Smile as Big as the Moon - I talked with Mike this morning and received this update:

they should be wrapping up the script in the next few weeks and turning it over to Warner Brothers - who will then have ~3 weeks to read/edit/make changes and get it back to Mike and his co-writer/Director, Steve Herek.

You may recognize Steve's name ... he wrote and directed 'Mr. Holland's Opus' and many other movies.

Now ... here is another punch ....rumor has it that the studio is talking with Mathew McCaunaghy about playing the lead (Mike)! The whole deal should be wrapped up by year end ... Mike promised to keep us informed.

Cass
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Excellent! I am definitely looking forward to this movie. The book was fantastic and I imagine the film will be excellent as well.

Keep us updated :-)
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Mike Kersjes played by Matthew McConaghey? What? He looks absolutely nothing like Coach!

How about James Gandolfini..... or at least someone that looks like Coach Kersjes.

Mike is one heck of a guy. I always enjoyed it when his kids came to Camp.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

Sandrat wrote:Mike Kersjes played by Matthew McConaghey? What? He looks absolutely nothing like Coach!

How about James Gandolfini..... or at least someone that looks like Coach Kersjes.

Mike is one heck of a guy. I always enjoyed it when his kids came to Camp.
I second the fact the McConaghey looks nothing like Mike. Poor choice.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

So I have decided to read A Smile As Big As The Moon again. To my surprise, the library chose not to borrow the book from another Alberta library (as it usually does) but decided to buy it. Yay!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

AWESOMSE. i can't wait. I think it would be really cool. And i didn't know they went to camp again sandrat? How many years did he take his kids for? That's soo cool. I wish my school did stuff like that. I just finished reading the book, and i thought it was EXCELLENT. the stuff the guy did for his kids, he is amazing. I wish the special ed teachers at our school were that nice, since i was in it for a year because of emotional problems, but we did nothing fun like that. I think for the kids that play in the movie they should pick kids with some experience with problems and difficulties. Like the kids in the book have. I think it would add more of a personal touch to the movie. That's just my opinion though. I really want to be in teh movie, i act all the time, and since i have experience with the special ed and stuff, i think it would be cool. Anyhow, thanks for listening lol. thanks for the update. You're so lucky you got to meet him, he seems like such an awesome guy!
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

That particular grroup neever went back to camp. However Mike Kersjas founded the space is special foundation which takes groups of special needs students down there every year check out spaceisspecial.org for info. the sight isn't updated frequentlybut they do have pictures from their groups. Also Mike moved to Huntsville in recent years and his wife actyally works at the UAT at camp.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor