New Area 51

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

SpaceCanada wrote:Either way, you can see the dig site on the Saturn V webcam. I never thought I could see so much red dirt in one place! It is so mesmerising... especially compared to all the grey and black clay we get around here.
Lol when i went to space camp in 1991 we use to call it the Mars dirty or early in the morning afyer the sprinklers had been running Mars mud. It takes a little getting use to its morre typical in the deep south part of the US. I'm in the upper south we dont really see it here either.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

I don't think anyone knows what's going on with the OLD Area 51 yet - so far, they were using it for some MOUT training and some Amazing Race (not the TV show) stuff - but those are both 8-day/12-day stuff, mostly AC.

As far as I know, the only people who are using the new area 51 are the M2 8-day, the AA/M3 12-day, and regular AA/M3... I think it's been removed from (this year's at least) M2 schedule, and I have no idea about SA or SA 8-day.

They built a new one that was mostly the same because the old place was in the sun and extremely hot for a counselor to work, and also, the equipment is new and not falling apart anymore. Trust me when I say we think it's an improvement; you may not notice yet, but you'll notice when you don't fall because your plank broke.

Also, they hired ropes staff, so now there's more trained people running the area (generally), and the general counselors/team leaders are out there for hours on end, running stuff. Those people are really awesome, let me tell you.

Finally, the entire compound is right outside the AC main gate, in the woods that (back in the day!) capture the flag used to be played in, and is now fenced in with barbed wire and locked gates - an attempt to discourage stupid drunk counselors, coffeediver.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
coffeediver
Counselor
Counselor

Post by coffeediver »

Repeat wrote:they were using it for some MOUT training
And just how many combat pilots do MOUT?

Let me save you the trouble, NONE!

Still more of an excuse for axing AC and rebuilding it into something far more useful and relative to Space Camp.