ummm question

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

rycho626
Camper
Camper

ummm question

Post by rycho626 »

any of you guys ever get caught at camp during a hurricaine? they always tell u they have these emergency procedures and every year like 2 days after i leave a hurricaine hits alabama. always thought itd be cool to get stuck in one...haha ino im weird
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

No, can't say that I have, although we did get a torrential downpor one day.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I've never been through a hurricane at camp and for astorm to still be a hurricane when it gets that far north into Alabama you wouldnt want to be, Kreep in mind hurricanes tend to lose power pretty quickly once they make landfall and Huntsville is pretty far north of the gulf coast in relation to the state of Alabama.

I have been through a hurricane it is an experiance and not one i would like to repeat. about 3 years ago hurricane Isabel a cat 2 when it made landfall in eastern North Carolina and a 1 when it got to eastern VA nocked out power from NC to maryland for anywhere from a few hours to 4 weeks and this was a minor hurricane. I was lucky only lost power for 4 days but thats 4 days with no air conditioning, no hot showers, boiling water that comes from the tap waiting in line for ice and essentially being pretty miserable. I know people in the same area who were out of power for 4 weeks so it can be pretty random depending on the extent of the damage to the power grid. If a hurricane got to huntsville at even cat 1 strenfgth with a minimum winds of 75 mph it could easily put an end to a camp session. So i wouldnt be wanting that to happen. Its possible but not extremely likely anyway. I'd say a tornado is probably more likely. But by the same note last year when Katrina hit Lousianna and Mississippi it was still a strong tropical stomrm when it got to Kentucky and so it is possible,
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

I don't think it would be, you wouldn't be able to do anything, and you would just have to basically wait out the storm, and a lot could be damaged, and also, you wouldn't be able to do all teh things planned because of the storm, and they're not going to extend it i don't think, so you'd basically only get half the camp experience and stuff. I don't think it would be much fun. And plus, things could be damaged and then you might not be able to do much then either. And you'd be pretty cramped in one area for a long period of time. Either that or they would send you home if they had enough time i would think. So no, i don't think it would be much fun. That's just my opinion though.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

I would think if a storm was seriously threatning the area they would probabnly send people home anyway. Mainly because there is no telling how long it could take to get the campers out after a storm. Also feeding campers when your freezers and ovens are not orking would be difficult with that many kids. Again though for a hurricane to still be a hurricane when it gets to huntsville it would be a serious storm. Keep in mind the strong winds do not spread out over the entire storm they are generally concentrated closer to the eye Huntsville would get hours of rain bands and lighter winds and once the eye comes aashore the storm begins to fall apart the bigger the storm the more chance it would have of gettting their bigger in the sense that i mean stronger a cat 1 hitting the gulf coast would probably dump alot of rain and less than even tropical storm force winds on huntsville a cat 2 youd probably get tropica; storm force winds it would probably need to be a 3 before huntsville might see cat 1 winds thats my experiance having been hit by many tropical storms that started off as hurricanes when they hit the NC coast. if a cat 4 hit the alabama i would hope camp would have sent everyone home before then and god forbid a cat 5 were to hit.
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

Just so you know 3hat your dealing with in a hurricane here is the saphor simpson scale including types of damage.

Hurricane Classification

Category 1: Minimal

Central Pressure: Greater than 980 millibars (mb)
Wind: 74-95 miles per hour (mph)
Storm Surge: 4-5 feet (ft)
Damage: Damage mainly to trees, shrubbery, and unanchored mobile homes

Category 2: Moderate

Central Pressure: 965-979 mb
Wind: 96-110 mph
Storm Surge: 6-8 ft
Damage: Some trees blown down; major damage to exposed mobile homes; some damage to roofs of buildings

Category 3: Extensive

Central Pressure: 945-964 mb
Wind: 111-130 mph
Storm Surge: 9-12 ft
Damage: Foliage removed from trees; large trees blown down; mobile homes destroyed;some structural damage to small buildings

Category 4: Extreme

Central Pressure: 920-944 mb
Wind: 131-155 mph
Storm Surge: 13-18 mph
Damage: All signs blown down; extensive damage to roofs, windows, and doors; complete destruction of mobile homes; flooding inland as far as 6 miles; major damage to lower floors of structures near shore

Category 5: Catastrophic

Central Pressure: Less than 920 mb
Wind: Greater than 155 mph
Storm Surge: Greater than 18 ft
Damage: Severe damage to windows and doors; extensive damage to roofs of homes and industrial buildings; small buildings overturned and blown away; major damage to lower floors of all structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008