One Concern for my 3rd year at camp...hey...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

Deimos
Camper
Camper

One Concern for my 3rd year at camp...hey...

Post by Deimos »

I just have one concern, I went to advanced space academy for the 6 day this year, and i had a lot of trouble with my ankle/leg problems, and I regretted not bringing my crutches, i didn't think they'd like that if i brought them and used them only when i needed them, which is only at certain times when my legs get bad enough i can barely walk. This year, i had that problem, with the added problem of a counsilor who didn't exactly care that i was in so much pain and oculnd't walk easily, and had to sit down a lot. He didn't really try to make accomadations for me at all. I'm just afraid if i go to 12 day next year, which i'm planning on doing, that i won't be able to make it the whole week, with being in so much pain and not having crutches, do you think they'd let me bring my crutches, and only use them when i need them, which is like near the end of the day usually. I'm just afraid what they might think of that or something, or that i might get another counsilor who doesen't really care...What's your opinion...Should i go for 12 day and just try to use the crutches and stuff...I'm just kinda worried about it... THanks.

EDIT: Another concern is that it's not just one leg it's both. So i'll be not only using them for one leg, it'll be for both, and someitmes i'll be switching off which legs i need to not use on the crutches, and i don't want anyone to think that i'm faking or anything, that's another concern, also, it just keeps getting worse by the year so i'm not really sure. Thanks for the advice though, i'm going to try and work it out before i go.

Edit again: Hey, guess what, i heard that my counsilor that was mean to me left and moved to Nashville. Yess, i don't have to worry about seeing him again. Heh.
Last edited by Deimos on Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Space Academy
Week 40- Deimos June 26-July 1st 2005
Advanced Space Academy
Week 42- Von Tiesenhausen July 2-7 2006
Week 41- Von Tiesenhausen July 1-6 2007
Week 40 - Goddard June 27- July 4th 2008
Adult Space Academy
October 10-13th 2014 Team Discovery
rycho626
Camper
Camper

Post by rycho626 »

is it, like, a chronic problem that'll never go away?
if so, i'd dont know...i mean they might then get in the "we arent responsible for anything" mood and make u have them on u at all times which would definitly be a damper on the camping
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ASA August 2006--------Von T
SA August 2005----------Atlas
SA August 2004----------Calypso
SA August 2003----------Deimos
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I really cannot see a problem with it. It's like kids who only need to wear glasses when they are doing certain things.

I used to teach Brownies to a girl who had CP and only needed crutches on some days and not others. We really didn't care if she had crutches or not.

The only thing I can think of that may cause an issue is if you need your crutches, and they are someplace far away, how would you get them? Sending someone to fetch them may be a no-no, but I can't see why you couldn't carry them with you or keep them nearby in evenings.

Your previous counsellor was totally off... I'm sure your medical form had your limitations written on it, and they shouldn't give you grief for something you cannot control. Some people...
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
JVZ
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JVZ »

i'm a 12 day counsilor. we will do our best to meet your needs. my advice is make sure your condition is documented, be up front with your problems, and stand up for yourself. if you get another jerk go over their head and to someone who will help.
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

Thanks JVZ, i should have done something about it, but i was too shy while i was there, and i would have felt bad if i got him fired or anything. Though at the end i did give him a bad review. THanks for the help, i'm hoping next year wil be better.

Hopefully they won't make me carry them with me/use them all the time, because i hate crutches and only use them when i have to. I thnk that maybe i could leave them in the sickbay and get them around 3 when it usually starts to bother me. I don't know, but i'll have to work something out i guess. Do you think they would mind JVZ?? I'm just curious if you think they would mind that plan. I'm still not sure what to do...
Space Academy
Advanced Space Academy
Adult Space Academy
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

We had kids leave things in sick bay when I was there as a kid, so long as it is for a medical condition they didn't mind. It's a nice central location too, so they will be easy to get when you need them.

They shouldn't make you use crutches all the time anyway. Like JVZ said, document your condition on your medical form or an attached sheet and specify right on there that crutches are only to be used at YOUR discretion and are not intended for continuous (24/7) use.

Best of luck, and have a great time at 12-day!!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
JVZ
Counselor
Counselor

Post by JVZ »

just make sure every thing is on paper. Q. how did you do at area 51? the reason i ask is 12D includes some more AC style physical activity, + high ropes. tell us that in advance so we can make accomadations for your needs.
Deimos
Camper
Camper

Post by Deimos »

Area 51 was a little bit difficult for me, but luckily i wasn't in too much pain that day, and was able to do most of it, i had to sit down a lot though, and i think they got annoyed with that, but other than that i was okay with it. I think i can probably do most of the high ropes course as long as it's not too much on the legs, i can usually do climbing and stuff. So hopefully i'll be able to do it. I'll definately make sure to write it all down, and let them know in advance so that maybe i will be treated better this year. Thanks JVZ and everyone.
Space Academy
Advanced Space Academy
Adult Space Academy