If you were to design the next higher level...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

If you were to design the next higher level...

Post by CastAway »

I was thinking about this, and I think one thing Space Camp needs is one more program, higher up, for people like us who recently became too old for the youth programs. One reason I'm afraid of adult camp is the fact that it will be a group of people of all adult ages, and I prefer to interact with people my own age or nearby. So I was thinking... what if there was a program for, say, ages 19-24 or so, that only occurred a few weeks out of the summer (since, of course, there would be less interest)? What do you think it could be called? How do you think it could be organized?
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

One issue I see is that the primary age of counselors is that very age - and it's much different having a team with a counselor who is a peer versus having a team with a counselor who is older (or younger) than your team is.

I'm not sure exactly how that fact would impact the program, but as it's different from the current situations primarily, I would wonder.

What I would like is to have an adult alumni week or two for those of us who came here as campers to come back now that we're adults - I think that would be cool. And (selfishly), I think that the more times one came here before, the less it should cost for this week. :-P

I also don't know that it would be possible for it to happen during the summer, as that's our BUSY season - adult sessions generally take place in the fall, or occasionally in the spring.
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I don't know... I agree with Soccer in that such a programme could be ackward.

I went to adult camp at age 21. I was the youngest one there but even with the huge age variances our whole team got along really well. If you want to go with people your age, then invite some friends to come with you.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. If typical adult weeks are like my week at Adult ASA, anyone who sincerely enjoys the programme will have a great time. If anything, my week at adult camp was my best Space Camp experience!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

I kind of think having a level between ASA and Adult ASA could be both good thing and a bad thing. I will agree that they should have a Alumni Camp for the adult group.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Yeah, at least having an adult camp that was alumni-only would be quite nice. I like that idea.

As for the counselor age thing, who knows. I guess you're right that could be a difficulty or awkwardity, though.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
Repeat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Repeat »

it would be particularly awkward considering that I would LOVE to go to an alumni young adult camp - but I've been a counselor now for two seasons, and I'm currently a training team mentor. It would be incredibly weird for one of my co-workers to have me as a trainee - especially if I had a room in the hab at the same time, and had to request a week off to attend the camp session...
AC M2/M2-12 day counselor 05/06 Repeat
AC MIII W 43-03 (Jolly Rogers)
ASA W 42-03 (Oberth)
AC MIII W 49-01 (Silver Eagles)
ASA W 48-01 (Tereshkova)
ASA W 48-00 (Von Braun)
AC MIII 47-00 (Gun Slingers)
AC MII 39-99 (Falcons)
SA W 39-98 (Coke)
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I think it would be cool. I have to admit my Adult Space Academy was... not my thing. I love the space stuff... but I was the youngest (20) when I was there... everyone was at least 5 years older than me... and that was just one person. I think it'd be cool to have a younger session... but they have to do an AC one, lol. They gip us... I still have never seen a one week adult session although they claim to have one...
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

There used to be an adult AC 6-day session, but they seem to have removed it from the schedule in recent years. I registered for it once but it was cancelled due to low numbers. I'm guessing if they have enough interest, they could put one together.

Otherwise, I'm sorry to hear your Adult SA camp wasn't the best experience. I couldn't say how I would do with a 3-day programme either, but that is why I do the 6- and 8-day ones.

Adult camp DOES have an alumni-only week in late September/early October every year. They do not advertise it, but it is there. It is the 8-day camp, and it is only open to alumni of the youth and adult ASA programmes. You can phone the registration desk and they will give you the dates.

The adults who are there typically go every year. They're awesome! One guy can practically fly a mission with his eyes closed (and still find all the switches and do the checklists in record time). I think he is building a replica cockpit in is basement, but I could be mistaken. The alumni trainees come from amazing walks of life and they are all great people. I miss them terribly, more than any other team.

I wish I could go to adult alumni 8-day camp every year, like they do, but I don't have enough vacation time or money, and I have a thousand other things I want to do too!
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I never did ASA... I was an AC addict by then and couldn't cross back, lol. So don't think I could do the alumni thing anyways... 3 days is so short, because its really only one full day... But most the longer sessions I have class and things... the life of going to school.
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
CampGirlKelly
Camper
Camper

Post by CampGirlKelly »

I think a fun solution to the counselor vs camper age question would be to have alumni counselors come as well!
Don't hang up your dancing slippers!

ASA -- Spring Break 2000
ASA -- Spring Break 1999
ASA -- Spring Break 1998
AC Mach III -- Spring Break 1997
SA Level 1 -- Spring Break 1996
SC Florida -- Spring Break 1995