Dreamm...

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Reason for dream

Post by ApolloXI »

MNathaniel wrote:Geez, I sure hope no one else has one of these destruction dreams... if it were actually prophetic I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

I need to have a new Space Camp dream. Preferably one that's a mysterious crossover with Battlestar Galactica. I think I had one of those once.
I think my dream was my subconscious running two things together. In Nashville we had a big apartment fire where about 100 people lost their homes and I am really on a Space Camp withdraw.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
CastAway
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by CastAway »

Ahh, gotcha.

I miss the place... I'm even hoping for a dream some time soon, since it's been so long.
The less time spent in Orion Bay, the better.
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

I had a weird Space Camp dream last night. I am surprised I had any dreams at all last night because I hardly slept due to a noisy wind storm, but alas... from what I do remember I was going into a movie theatre and instead of the concession selling the usual popcorn/drinks/sweets they had a display case full of Space Camp things (flight suits, t-shirts, badges) for sale instead. It was weird.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
Mercergl
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by Mercergl »

Wow this is really random, but I was daydreaming about going to the airport and flying to camp a while ago. Weird.
Don't Panic
-The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Space Academy 6 Day- Week 39 2006
Space Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2007
Advanced Academy 8 Day- Week 40 2008
Advanced Academy 6 Day- Week 40 2009
Conan
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Dreams

Post by Conan »

I still have occasional Space Camp dreams. They are always my favorites. My latest one, they had added rocket belts to the simulators at Space Camp and we got to fly them over the facility. Lots of fun. I wish it was true.
Conan
1988-Adult Lev. I
1994-Parent/Child
1996-Adult Lev. II
1997-Adult AC
1998-P/C
1999-Pilot/Copilot
2000-P/C FL
2000-Adv. Adult Acad
2001-Adult AC
2004-Pilot/Copilot,
2007-Adult Alum.Reunion
2009-P/C
2014 - Adult 4-Day
2015 - Advance Adult Academy
pilotgirl21
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by pilotgirl21 »

The most recent dream I had about Space Camp was about a month or so ago, which was after I started going out with someone I met at Alumni Camp in June 2007. But I had a dream that I was at an alumni camp, but many of the international people that I had met during International Camp, in July 1997, had returned and weren't surprised at all that we had all met up again at camp. There were also a few of the alumni that I met during Alumni Camp in my dream.
Lisa from Chicago aka White Sox
ASA 7/27-8/1 1997 International Week Gagarin-Pilot
ASA 7/1-7/6 1998 Gagarin-PS
Alumni Adult Weekend 6/14-6/17 2007 Challenger-Commander, Challumbia-Flight Director
bnaivar
Camper
Camper

Post by bnaivar »

And here I thought I was the only one. :D

I've only had one Space camp dream and it was several years ago. The crazy thing was, it was a dream about a reunion camp long before the Alumni camps were even suggested.

In my dream I was flying a mission in the old Columbia sim and the Sim Sup came on and told us that one of our fellow campers had gone nuts and had planted a bomb in the simulator. (It seems they didn't get the position they wanted) It was wired to go off if we didn't complete the mission on time and launch the satellite in the cargo bay. I remember getting the satellite launched, but I don't remember how the dream ended.
Outstanding Trainee Award-Adult Space Academy Sept. '90
Best Mission-Parent & Child Space Camp
Right Stuff Award-Adult Space Academy
Most Enthusiastic-Adult Space Academy
Best Mission-Adult Alumni Weekend June '08
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Occasionally I have a Space Camp dream. The appearance of the locations in the dreams I have are never like Huntsville. Perhaps its supposed to be Huntsville in the dream, but it looks totally different. Usually, the museum is more like a shopping mall, with retail stores for each chapter of space history. The training center is its own seperate building and is more like a Star Trek set than a serious array of real-life space craft. Oh, and there's always kids running amok without supervision. The rocket park is just as disappointing, only about 1/4 the size it should be, and with all of the rockets crammed together. That's as best as I can describe the Space Camp i experience in the dreams I have lately.

Last night I had an unusually weird dream. This one apparently took place at a "Space Camp" near Area 51 in Nevada. Our "mission" was part indoors and part outdoors. We were instructed to only go in certain areas and we could be shot and killed if we inadvertently ventured into a classified area. The "launch" portion of the sim took place in some kind of machine that seemed to have nothing to do with spaceflight and more like a test of our ability to handle fear. This is where the dream began to die and I soon woke up, as it seemed to be less a "Space Camp" dream and about something else.

Crazy, huh?
4-time Space Camp/Academy alumni
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
*Right Stuff Award Winner
ACluvR
Camper
Camper

Post by ACluvR »

I still have camp dreams occasionally and I haven't been in quite a while... It's mostly about old school camp. :) I miss being a teenager, this growing up stuff SUCKS!
Stephanie
Bubbles almost everytime
AC ROCKS!!!

AC:06/99, 07/00, 12/00, 07/01, 12/01, 12/02: Counselors were Moondoggie, Krispy, Ace, Sparky, Montano, Pyro, Lurch, Bean:) I also miss Ballistic, Grunt, Doolittle
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

DanM wrote:I had one about when I went to camp and my counselor told me to call him Orville. Then we went into a room about robert godard and early planes crashing. :? :?
This is creepy. Since I was in Space/Aviation track, they counselors had callsigns, and in the dream, the counselours nickname was orville. I was on team orville for s/a. The planes crashing came in becuase that s/a trip was a train wreck. However, I don't know where robert goddard came in. Dreams do predict the future. I just hope that dosen't apply for the coldplay concert I'm going to in june, because I had a dream when I forgot to go.
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011
Bay 221-Team Von Braun
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

Last night I dreamed I was back at Space Camp for another session. My team and I were hanging out in the museum when ZOMBIES descended upon us! It was like Night of the Living Dead, Space Camp style. We were able to lock all the doors and disable all of the zombies that got inside, but we were trapped! I managed to find a small firearm with a handful of ammo, but not enough to get me very far, should I decide to venture outside the building. The rest of the dream focused on finding a local person in the building who was familiar enough with the surrounding area to direct me to the nearest place I could buy more ammo.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Post by Hotdog »

I woke up this morning while having another Space Camp dream. This was a good one.

I'm standing under the Pathfinder, wearing my flightsuit. I'm not enrolled in Space Camp or anything, just visiting and hanging out by myself minding my own business. A group of 3 or 4 guys in flightsuits come running by me on their way into the museum, hollering at me "hey man, orientation is in five minutes, c'mon let's go!"

So, I follow these guys into this gymnasium area where groups of kids are sitting on the bleachers. A woman with a badge grabs me and asks me "have you been assigned a team yet?" I said "uhh, no" so she takes me over to this group of kids, prob freshmen/sophomores in high school age. At this point I realize that I have by accident become these kids' counselor for the week! They're all staring at me, as if waiting for me to deliver some kind of divine wisdom. After introducing myself, I gave a speech that went something like this:

"How many of you have been here before? (no one raised their hands) Well you know from reading the brochure that you're going to train like an astronaut, learn to live and work in space, and maybe eat some astronaut ice cream. But Space Camp is more than just space. You will learn teamwork, forge lasting friendships, and maybe even meet your future husband or wife. You will discover new things about yourself that you did not know. You may not go to work for NASA, but you will be shown the skill set you need to be successful in life. Space Camp inspires everyone in a different way. You will be inspired here. You will leave here a stronger person and better equipped for life than when you came. Space Camp is where you learn how to make your dreams become a reality."

After that speech, I asked my kids what they would like their team name to be. They quickly decided on "Dreamweaver."

The rest of the dream is kind of a blur. I remember a few random things. Like in my past dreams, the layout of the place was totally different than in real life. This time it looked like my old high school had been gutted and replaced with all of the Sprocket and Space Camp stuff.

I remember having a fear that the administration would eventually find out that I wasn't really a counselor. So, I just tried to do the best job I could with my kids so they might want to keep me around. For example, our team had a team slogan "Boldly Go" and a boot camp style marching chant we would do if we passed another team while roaming the campus. None of the other counselors were doing this sort of thing with their teams, so it sort of made my kids feel like their team was special or better than the other guys. I liked the spirit of competition that it instilled in the group.

And then I woke up. Seems sort of like what the movie "Space Camp" might have been like if it were a John Hughes film. Nice to wake up and be able to remember a dream so vividly. The last few dreams I've had about Space Camp I did not remember enough about them to describe.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
Hotdog
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Dreamm...

Post by Hotdog »

OK so I had yet another Space Camp dream last night (am I the only one left on the board who still has them?). I seem to have a dream like this every few months.

Imagine a "Las Vegas" style Space Camp. A BIG, expensive looking, glitzy place with new state-of-the-art everything. The sims, cafeteria and gift shop were all in one huge sprawling room. The cafeteria was a giant buffet and the gift shop had EVERYTHING in it you could ever want pertaining to space. The selection of patches was unlike any other, including rare patches and some never before seen. That being the case, campers could have their flightsuits customized a million different ways, and did. No two campers had the same flightsuit. (P51 you would have died and gone to heaven!) At this space camp you could train for all the NASA programs, and flightsuits were different colors based on which program you were currently training for. For example, my flightsuit was white, because I was training in the Apollo track. Campers enrolled in the Mercury track wore gray suits, Gemini wore green suits, and Shuttle wore the typical blue suits. In my Apollo mission I was CSM pilot and I had an anomaly where there were multiple caution-and-warnings at once. This happened while the rest of my crew was on the moon doing their EVA. I was able to fix a few of the anomalies myself while I had mission control working on getting me the proceedures to fix the other issues. Once I got everything back under control it turns out the SM had been hit with a small meteorite. Everything turned out OK and we made it back to Earth fine although the EVA had to be cut short so we could return home ASAP.
1989, 1991*, 1992, 1994
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I have had a couple of them since I was there for the first time this year.
Just had one two nights ago where I was coming to camp again and walked into the gift shop and all the neat stuff they used to sell but don't anymore is all there. Patches from the old SC movie, neat lapel pins, new logo stuff that look good, and real astronaut jackets are for sale there. As a collector by nature, that makes sense. You don't need to be Freud to understand that.
I've also had one right after going to camp where I'm at camp and someone tears into the Enterprise simulator during a mission and says they need someone with a military background ASAP who understands "space talk" to do CAPCOM duties at Redstone with the ISS, and I get driven quickly over there to talk with an Army ISS crew about something. And a tour group is watching it happen from behind the glass wall. It bummed me out to wake up from that one.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Had a very vivid dream about SC last night. They'd gotten a either a flown orbiter or the FFT from Houston with wings attached. It was on a full gimbal in a giant building where it could almost rotate into any direction. They had it sitting on it's tail almost straight up. We put on real LES suits and helmets and had a crew dressed in all white to strap us in, just like a real mission. So when the cockpit crew did something with the joystick, the orbiter actually reacted. Everything inside was exactly as it should be, not wood and plastic panels like the real SC Enterprise is. We were told we'd pull a 24-hour mission and we'd apparently trained up as there wasn't any of the, "Uh, what switch is this for?" stuff you normally see. On takeoff the thing even shook like crazy and it felt like we were really lifting off. I was the commander so I never saw what the MS's were doing on the mid deck or in the back. But this orbiter actually had a connector for the ISS mockup, so we 'docked' with it and the ISS and orbiter crews actually got to interact (and the ISS mockup was more correct and it didn't have simple openings like the SC one does).
Re-entry was amazing, the Commander actually flies the thing out of orbit and we landed at Kennedy instead of Edwards, so the landing was really hairy (just like my Charlie mission in 2012 as the pilot was, but this time I had the stick and really greased the landing nice and smooth). Afterward, there was a crowd cheering, all of them having watched all the monitors as a spectator thing, I got the feeling we were the first to do a high fidelity mission there and it was a news thing at the time.
My wife was even there (with a smile on her face, no less, not the usual, "don't you ever get enough of stuff like this?" expression), it felt like we'd really flown a real mission.
Then, the #$&@ alarm went off... :(
Skidmark

p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

Had another SC dream last night. I've had a few since my last trip there in October but this one isn't as vague in my memory as those were afterward.
I was there with the all-alumni team I was with in October. The HAB looked totally different and was more like a hotel inside (and everyone was there, being more comfortable than the HAB used to be, nobody saw a reason to go to hotels instead). We were doing a long-duration mission and it went flawlessly. We were weaing some manner or LES/ACES suits that were confortable but looked authentic. After we got out of the Enterprise sim, we went to a debrief and found out that someone was doing a TV documentary about SC and had bene filming us from the start of the mission from the cameras in the SIM and MOCR. Camera crews were following us around afterward, interviewing each of us from time to time but not making pests of themselves.
Somehow, the finished version of the show was edited before we left (yeah, i know - it's a dream, just go with it) and at the end of the show, they announced that several of us were picked for real astronaut selection and training at Houston, including all my Team Discovery pals! 8O
Again, real bummer to wake up from that...
Skidmark

spacemanpic
Camper
Camper

Post by spacemanpic »

P51...now that's a dream I can get behind.

- Justin
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I had a dream two nights ago that has had me bummed out ever since...
I was on the flight deck of an orbiter coming into KSC with PK and Steve from the forum here (as I'd spent a week with them on a KSC/SC trip last Fall, I suppose). PK and I were Pilot and Commander respectively (hey, it's my dream, right?) and Steve was the MS doing the flight engineer job. CAPCOM was telling us our loved ones were waiting at the end of runway 33 for our landing. We were all so focused on completing the mission but at one point, we stopped and looked one another, all with the very same smiles, no having to say out loud how cool it was. Most dreams are representational, I know, but this was so darned real (as are most space dreams I've had). PK and Steve were exactly as they are in real life (there was another MS seated next to Steve, but he was representational and I have no idea who he was supposed to be and I remember hearing MSs from the lower deck over the comms). Anyway, we greased the landing perfectly, beating even Eileen Collins' initial touchdown point on the runway. We were unstrapping once the crews safed the orbiter, still in our ACES suits, all giving high fives and handshakes to one another. The main hatch opened and we were kneeling down to climb out into the almost blinding Florida sun coming through the hatch-

-then the damned alarm clock went off.

8O

I swear, I felt such a feeling of loss at the realization it didn't happen, I almost wanted to cry.
Skidmark

SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

Hey, at least you got to successfully complete your mission before the alarm. My alarm has a tendency to rudely interrupt the good dreams.

I have Space Camp nightmares, but I won't share those. Here's hoping the excitement of October camp will turn those around into thrilling and exciting dreams: Peter Pan EVAs, Pamper Poles, giant Space Camp campuses that include NASA operational facilities, missions in real time that last a whole week... hey... I daydream about that stuff all the time.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

SpaceCanada wrote: I daydream about that stuff all the time.
I bet most of us here do as well.
I know I sure do. I often drift off to the training floor and I feel like I'm walking through that gate with my best friends, heading off for a sim...
My office has a cafeteria in the bottom floor and it has a place to dump the trays and such. It looks nothing like the one at the crew chow hall at SC, but I'm reminded of it anyway every time I walk through there.
Skidmark