Space Camp For Educators

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Space Camp For Educators

Post by majtom7 »

Can anyone sign up for these? I didn't see anything saying otherwise yet I might have missed it. It generally looks like what camp used to be like with the parachute training. Just exploring my options for this year...

https://www.spacecamp.com/space/educators
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Re: Space Camp For Educators

Post by SpaceCanada »

I can only assume it's for formal educators only, but if you want to know for sure - give them a call and ask to speak with Heather on extension 5639. She's in charge of the educator programmes. It's possible they accept non-formal educators as well. Members of the general public with no teaching experience or opportunities may be frowned upon, if not prohibited entirely.

The educator programme focuses not only the Space Camp elements, but how they can be taught to students ages 9 to 13. It involves knowledge of teaching and learning concepts and styles, lesson planning, and so forth. I would LOVE to go to educator camp, but I'm no longer an educator and it wouldn't feel right to be the former educator in the group, with no known return to the classroom.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll give Heather a call.. I do have some teaching experience and given that I'm retired, who knows? Just trying to think outside the box after my camp plans for this year fell through...
"I wanted to be humble, never arrogant, which is a trait astronauts despise." Mike Massimino
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

Someone in the Space Camp Alumni group on FB called and was told that you do not have to be a current educator to attend an educator camp.
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

That seems...weird? Is it? I dunno. I guess if you could conceivably use the skillset in the future, it might still be worth going (or admitting them, from Space Camp's point-of-view)...?
majtom7
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by majtom7 »

One person's cash is as good as another. That's cynical, I know.
p51
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by p51 »

I'm thinking SC is likely desperate for campers, so it's unlikely they'd be turning people away for anything right about now.
Skidmark
Space Academy: 2012, 2013 and 2014
Advanced Space Academy: 2016 and 2018

Undefeated for winning mission patch designs!
Official Space Camp Ambassador
Boomerang
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Boomerang »

p51 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:53 pm I'm thinking SC is likely desperate for campers, so it's unlikely they'd be turning people away for anything right about now.
Space Camp's numbers are definately lower than normal but that is because of restrictions. If you go to the Space Camp website and look at any program most weeks are full. So numbers wise for what they can do this year they are not desperate for campers.
Jason original callsign Loverboy
SC 1991
SA Level 1 1993
AC Intermediate 1996
ASA 1998
Corporate Space Camp 2005
AC Counselor Summer 07 callsign Boomerang
Adult Alumni Camp 2007
Adult Alumni Camp 2008
Official Space Camp Ambassador