URGENT!!!!

The place where campers hang out after a long day in the sims.

Moderator: Vincent

alumniandi
Counselor
Counselor

URGENT!!!!

Post by alumniandi »

Loyal readers and alumni, the mothership is working on the details for the Space Camp Hall of Fame event. They want to host it at the Von Braun Center in downtown Huntsville. I call upon you to respond to the following questions in the form of a comment to the forum.

1. Would you travel to Huntsville for the SPACE CAMP Hall of Fame if it was held at another venue?
2. How much would you pay to attend this event if William “Captain Kirk” Shatner was the emcee?
3. Would to rather have a sit down, full service dinner or a buffet dinner?

Please reply with comments. This is very urgent, there is a 9 am CST meeting tomorrow that you can affect the outcome on.

Alumni Andi

"We choose to go to the moon, in this decade, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

1) Absolutely. However, I would link holding it at Space Camp would be more appropriate. Though that might get you into trouble should the weather not hold.

2) What have ticket prices been for the Saturn V events? I don't recall off hand, but I remember thinking that the price for those was reasonable. So about that, I suppose. Maybe a little more if you can convince him to do a duet of "Space Camp" with Brent Simon. Granted, I'm in at virtually any price, so feel free to charge whatever...

3) probably full service, but you could go with either and I wouldn't complain that you should have done the other...
Last edited by Vincent on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ApolloXI
Counselor
Counselor

Post by ApolloXI »

Apolloxi
Think it should be held at the USSRC or the USSRC Marriott. I am in college and money is tight enough.
I thought about it a bit more:
1) Think it should still be at the USSRC but if the number is to large to be held there I think there should be buses that run from the Von Braun Center to the USSRC.
2) I am really not sure what the price of the dinner should be but it should be both affordable and well done.
3) I think for this type of event it should could be both ways.
Last edited by ApolloXI on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
ASA,
Shepard
(12/27/02-01/03/03)
Von Braun
(12/28/03-01/03/04)
Atlantis
(07/03/04-07/10/04)
Adult Alumni Camp
Challenger
(06/14/07-06/17/07)
Columbia
(08/2/07-08/5/07)
Counselor Summer '08
tennisrox014
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by tennisrox014 »

1. I guess, yeah... but USSRC seems more appropriate
2. My dad pays for whatever, but keep it affordable, for those with tight bugets
3. Probably full service
Sandrat
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Sandrat »

Here's my two cents:

1. Unless you can either guarantee the weather and have the event under Pathfinder, or can suddenly and explosively renovate the Food Court for seating, any event over about 150 people is going to have to be held off-site. There simply aren't the facilities there at USSRC - and don't even consider the Astrotrek building as the acoustics are terrible. We did exactly ONE Space Camp graduation in there during my time - terrible.

2. That depends - who is catering? What's Shatner's appearance fee? Any other celebrities or titans of industry that require similar fees?

Real answer, for this question and question 3 - MAKE THIS FIRST CLASS. The induction ceremonies should be Black Tie. Inductees and their guests pay nothing. Soliciting corporate donors with sponsorships both for the program, special tables, and a VIP reception is a good idea to bring additional development dollars to the event and to the Center. General admission and such for the event needs to be enough to cover expenses for an event like this. I would imagine you're looking at a minimum cost of $100 per ticket and a maximum of $250 - depending upon who is coming and such.

The Challenger Center for Space Science Education is having a Gala event this month with former President Bush and John Glenn as the program speakers. The cost is $250 a plate. This is also a new fundraising opportunity for the national organization. The need for USSRC to go in this direction is not clear to me - I haven't been involved there for more than 5 years.

However, I stand by my answer to questions 2 and 3. Make this a first class event. You have but one chance to celebrate a milestone like this, and it should be done as grand as feasible.
"You made a fool out of young lieutenants. That's not against Army regulations."

CPT Nathan C. Brittles
US Cavalry
Spanky
Counselor
Counselor

Post by Spanky »

1. Yes. I will attend regardless of where the event is held.

2. Depnds on the Shat's fees.... I would like to see someone else, but understand his appeal.

3. Dinner of anytyoe is fine. If it is held at the USSRC, let Michele L. plan it...she's the best at that.
"We only have a short time to live, so it is essential to do things that are worthwhile and to do them now."Lord Baden-Powell

U.S Space Camp - 1982-1988
Aviation Challenge Staff /Program Manager - 1996-2004
Knight 3, Commander 77th TFS 1999-2004
SpaceCanada
HabForum Junkie
HabForum Junkie

Post by SpaceCanada »

1. Yes, if it were held someplace... say... in Canada! (Unfortunately, I cannot go, no matter where it is held in Huntsville.)

2. and 3. I would have to agree with Vincent on those, even if I cannot come.
- Jennifer -
Youth ASA 6-Day 1998 1999
Adult ASA 8-Day 2004; Alumni 2007, CSC 2013, 2015, 2017
demonicus
Camper
Camper

Post by demonicus »

question.

when exactly is the whole alumni weekend going on?

i must know!
m2-(7/15-7/20/01)
as-(7/22-7/27/01)
m3-(6/28-7/4/03)
asa-(7/19-7/25/03)ps
asa-(6/26-7/4/04)pilot
asa-8 day(8/7-8/14/04)ms
m3-(6/25/05-7/1/05)
asa-12 day-(7/17-7/29/05)ms
asa-12 day-(7/2-7/14/06)ms
asa-12 day-(6/10-6/22/07)ms
Vincent
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Vincent »

As I understand it, things kick of on June 13 with this induction ceremony and run until June 18. And there will of course be happenings all Summer long, but those dates will be the big celebration week.

I could be mistaken, however.
alumniandi
Counselor
Counselor

Thanks!

Post by alumniandi »

The event we are currently talking about will be June 13 the Wednesday before the big kick off weekend. It will be the first induction of the Space Camp Hall of Fame.

There are more events planned for that weekend but no details right now.

Thanks for the quick response to my questions. We gave all the comments (I thought twice about giving Sandrat's) to the committee this morning.

Sandrat, Wm. Shatner isn't the former Prez or coolest astronaut. We can't compete with you. I am sure that is why you moved to Kansas. But, you raise good points that it needs to be first class, and we only have one shot to do that.

Will you be attending the Gala in Houston?
Alumni Andi

"We choose to go to the moon, in this decade, not because it is easy, but because it is hard."
DanM
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Post by DanM »

1. Yes
2. Under $1,000
3. Sit Down
Space Camp July 9-14 2006
Phoenix Bay-Team Armstrong

Space Academy June 17-22 2007
Bay 205-Team Orville

Advanced Space Academy-June 26-July 1 2011